OT - Two surgeries in one week - I'm pooped!

Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Two surgeries in one week - I'm pooped!

But although I'm a gall bladder short and have something called a "stint" for the next eight weeks bobbing around in one of my liver's bile ducts (yuck!) I'm driving my car and doing a little better each day. Four days out of the hospital (or should I say, in-and-out times two ...), I look pretty good when I'm cleaned up. LOL!!!

AH was generally absent during my two E.R. and inpatient stays, but he managed to stagger by for visits in various stages of sobriety to toss "stuff" at me - magazines, a necklace, a Beanie-Baby crab, a card. He's just doing what addicts do; when the rubber meets the road, like being with me in the E.R. or giving me anything resembling normal human support he's nowhere to be found. Ah well, I've learned to take care of myself, even when screaming and moaning for a morphine drip!

I've given myself permission to take a sabbatical from school, leaving me two classes short of my bachelor's degree. But now is the time to rest, working at restoring my health, cleaning out my doggone files!!!, and regrouping. I'm still plugging away at the job search and have turned to the federal government's online resume/job posting site.

To all of those here who are struggling with the A's in their lives, I can attest that you CAN detach with time, patience, and hard work. As far as living with an A for years on end ... I can only speak from my own personal experience. My health has suffered from the mere exposure to the progression of the disease. I can let a lot roll off my back, but I reached the point where I am sick and tired of looking at a one-man emotional/physical trainwreck happening in all-too-slow motion right in front of my eyes.

This, too, shall pass ...

P.S. - My stomach staples come out on Thursday, and the stint-thingy will be removed in early November. Okay, now that you are all gagging on that bit of information .... hang in there!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Wishing you a speedy return to good health. It sounds like you have learned to accept your husband for what he is. We feel pain when we argue with reality and you've been through enough pain. (((((((((( progigal )))))))
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

speeking as someone who has had more surgies then I can count and have had more drugs pumped in him then some addicts (and that is NOT an exageration my dad was an addict so it takes ALOT TO PUT ME DOWN) I hope you have speedy recovery
Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

****{HUGS}}}

I am so glad to hear you are doing better. Do take care of yourself. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers for a smooth recovery.

I'm sorry you haven't had the support you deserve.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

PROD

Sending you healing thoughts! Glad that you are a bit better....and you can always go back and take those classes! Your health is much more important right now! Everything in time-
Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Get well soon!
Trish
Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
(((prodigal))) Miss you, and hope you recover from your surgery quickly.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Speedy recovery, prod!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It is what it is

Hope you are feeling much better soon!

Jenny
Old 09-25-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Take good care of yourself and get well very soon...........
Old 09-25-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ICU

Gosh, you have been through a lot..Two surgeries, in 1 week? Well, I hope you feel better real soon Prodigal! Better days are coming...you'll see! ;-)
Old 09-25-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you for your concern; I really appreciate it. Yeah, I'm pretty resiliant, and I've learned that I gotta take care of myself. I won't let something like my gall bladder blowing out and my bile duct being trashed keep me down for long. These things are repairable!

As far as AH is concerned, he's just doing what addicts do. I continue to focus my efforts on getting a job. Once I have viable employment, I will have a whole lot less on my plate to deal with because I can rely on my own income. It just takes time in a town with about 85,000 people and an unemployment rate of approximately 17.6%!! YIKES!!! But, what the hey - I LOVE a challenge!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Hey there Prod I'm glad you're feeling up to posting, that tells me you're feeling a little better than when we talked (you were sounding quite weak, then)

Good to see you back on the boards!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 09-26-2007, 05:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hope you keep feeling stronger. Job searching can be tedious and discouraging at times, but know theres a good position out there waiting just for you! Good luck.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keepingmyjoy

Glad to hear you are getting well....take it easy and hope you keep feeling better and better!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Sorry for chiming in so late, Prodigal. Life has been a bit hectic lately. Glad you're on the road to recovery. Hope you find a great job soon.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hi prod!!!!! somehow i missed this thread......i'm glad you made it through ok...i know gall bladder surgery is a very sick surgery.....wish i was there.....i'd fix you all kinds of good soups with crusty breads, and wait on you hand and foot.

we'd kick ole grumpy into the back bedroom, and let him out just in time to go to work.

you take care.

love to you
jeri