handling money, living with abundance

Old 09-22-2007, 08:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

handling money, living with abundance

ideas? ok, grew up with scarcity thinking poverty consciousness. that rich equalled selfish and mean and ignorant and yet now as i gain abundance due to what i call the glory of the higher power. how does one invest. save, handle all this money, avoid vampires who latch onto mistaken generosity or relatives who begin contempt as you are "one of those" people now.

i want wealth in all areas of my life and god has promised it, this is what i believe is real, because i was born...but when abundance comes. how do we live with it. used to living frugally, scrimpting due to the belief we would never have enough but to do that.

how do we handle abundance in our lives. perhaps more than just financial abundance but thats a start, ideas??
Old 09-22-2007, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Gratitude, gratitude, gratitude. I never apologize for my good fortunes. I reap what I sow. I have abundance because I have done the work to bring it to my life. Relax and enjoy your good fortune.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by utopia View Post
... how does one invest. save, handle all this money, avoid vampires who latch onto mistaken generosity or relatives who begin contempt as you are "one of those" people now...how do we handle abundance in our lives....
I agree, with gratitude. I see abundance as a gift from my HP, and therefore it is a gift I have to use with care in order to further _His_ will. To that end I would suggest a trip to your local bookstore to purchase a few books on money management.

As far as vultures, tell 'em you spent it all on some frivolity, or that you gave it all away to charity. Assuming they already know you have it. If they don't know, don't tell them, and don't flaunt it.

Mike
Old 09-23-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I pretend it's not there. Probably not the most prudent way of handling abundance, but it's what works for me. I have a financial advisor who I trust and who has performed well for me - we meet twice a year to talk about how to shift things around and how to avoid the tax monster. Other than that, I don't even look at the monthly statements.

I do live a better lifestyle than I used to. I buy things I want when I want them, but growing up on the lower side of middle class, my wants are fairly minor (for instance, I am partially deaf, and right now I want one of those RF headsets for tv audio so I can turn the volume up as loud as I need it to be without annoying anyone else in the house - if I turn the volume up too loud, the birds like to start trying to scream louder sort of defeating the purpose, and not all DVDs come with subtitles).

My husband and I own a Honda Civic and a Subaru. We're not big spenders except when it comes to "important" things, and even then we try to go for value.

I do give back, but I don't tend to give to many charities as most charities spend more in overhead than they do helping the people who need help. I help those who do not ask for it, often in small ways. As for moochers and leeches, well, when people approach me with their palms up, I refer them to a bank loan officer. I do not give money to people who ask for it (with very very few exceptions). I do enjoy the feeling of helping out those who, like I used to, are struggling with unexpected expenses or the general cost of living after a downsizing or layoff.

For those who think you've "turned into one of them" - who cares what they think? You KNOW who you are and what you are. Statements of that sort tend to fall into one of two categories: 1) they're trying to put you down in order to make themselves feel better about their own circumstances or 2) they are jealous. Both of those are not YOUR problem. If others have issues with their lot in life they can either work hard to change it, or wallow in their own self pity (sounds a lot like addictions, huh?) - and you can neither change them into what they want to be, nor can you make them stop the pity party. So nod, say "yup, I'm doing well for myself" and let them deal with THEIR issues (it's not your issue!).

Abundance is good, and as long as you don't go nuts (like develop a gambling problem), it is something to be enjoyed, not embarassed by - especially if you worked your tail off to get there.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I ask God, How can I be a good stewart with the blessings bestowed on me,How can I give you all the Glory.The Lord will lead you...