Notices

Is it wrong to hide my alcoholism?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Is it wrong to hide my alcoholism?

There is a certain stigma attached to being labeled an alcoholic in society, but then again why should there be if it is a disease?

My family all know and I openly discuss my alcoholism with them. But the couple of only real friends I have (whom I rarely ever see in person) know I drink a lot, but don't think they suspect that I might be an alcoholic.

Should I just come out with it and tell everybody I know openly that I am?

On the internet, in person, etc?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
believer

I think that's something you will find out..Your heart will tell you..Give it time maybe, and you'll know...

Of course not everybody is well informed or willing to live without prejudice..We all know people like to use things or stereotypical actions to feel better against others, sometimes..But it all depends on how you feel about it and deal with it..No matter what you do there will always be people who will challenge you, it's just about how you process that information...Like you say, it's a disease, and you should always remember you're a child of HP...
Old 09-21-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

There's not right or wrong way to deal with it. The key is that you're being honest with yourself. Ultimately, that's all that matters.

hugs.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karimpatim View Post
I think that's something you will find out..Your heart will tell you..Give it time maybe, and you'll know...

Of course not everybody is well informed or willing to live without prejudice..We all know people like to use things or stereotypical actions to feel better against others, sometimes..But it all depends on how you feel about it and deal with it..No matter what you do there will always be people who will challenge you, it's just about how you process that information...Like you say, it's a disease, and you should always remember you're a child of HP..
Sometimes I feel I should just say it to everybody - not just come out with it, but treat it like any other illness you might discuss for example...

I mean nobody I've never met has any need to know my business, but I've posted drunk on other forums before and made an absolute clown of myself and I wasn't going to tell them that I was drunk when I done it and that I 'may have a problem'...
Old 09-21-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

well, it's really not their business.

I don't really tell everyone......I just say I don't drink anymore and leave it at that. If they ask more I just tell them it's better this way. End of story.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

hey i am not an alcoholic, but i am in a deep, deep depression..Everybody in school keeps calling me lazy, if i tell them i am in this state it wouldn't help.some minds are not respectable of other people's problems....so what i do is, i know i am sick, but i am sick, there's no reason to be ashamed cuz i know i aint lazy or ignorant...Even if everybody jokes about where i am, i know i am struggling...and what i found out is this is the biggest battle of my life, if they're not gonna help, then i aint letting them in...
Old 09-21-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

depression is more tough for me karim.
I've been struggling with it myself and it's
hard for me not to FEEL lazy and believe
what others think about me.
my meds have seemed to start working
so that's helped a lot.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I struggled with that question a lot too and it is a personal choice for you to make. For a long time, I felt like I was deceiving people by not telling them that I was ancoholic. And, since I was trying to be honest in my recovery that was bothersome.

I moved at the time I stopped drinking and I saw it as a chance to gain self-confidence and move forward in recovery. I met a couple of wonderful women who became friends and I chose to not share about my addiction. I realized that many people don't share the 'dark' parts of themselves, even with their friends. Addiction is part of who I am, it is not who I am. There are many things I am - a mother, wife, friend, music-lover and addict. I can be a fantastic and open friend without sharing about my addiction.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Discretion is the better part of valor!

There is a certain stigma attached to being labeled an alcoholic in society, but then again why should there be if it is a disease?
Ignorance? Prejudice? Fear?

My family all know and I openly discuss my alcoholism with them. But the couple of only real friends I have (whom I rarely ever see in person) know I drink a lot, but don't think they suspect that I might be an alcoholic.
If they are true friends, it shouldn't matter...anymore than if you had cancer or diabetes. They will hopefully be pleased that you're doing something positive in your life.

Whoever, however, whenever is your choice...but, you should be cautious...I wouldn't take out an ad in the local newspaper, nor shout it from the rooftops. There is a long-standing reason that it's called Alcoholics Anonymous. I do make sure every physician knows...even my footdoctor...want them aware when prescribing.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

curious, you sober now?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't tell everybody I am a diabetic.

If I can help someone deal with their diabetes
I discuss my method for living healthy with it,

Same thing with my alcoholism.

Blessings
Old 09-21-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I had to tell myself first and then everything else gradully becomes clearer
Old 09-21-2007, 11:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Kevin that was great!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Smile

I believe sharing your history of alcoholism should only be done on a "need to know" basis. My health care providers need to know; nobody else really does. Of course my famliy and AA group know, but that's OK! GH
Old 09-22-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RK2007 View Post

On the internet, in person, etc?

Hi RK,

You would be surprised on how many people KNOW you have a problem with alcohol...The decision is yours whether to tell your friends...I found it to be a comfort because they continue to support me today...
Old 09-22-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be able to broadcast it.I've admitted to a couple of friends that i have a problem with drink,but these lads are people i've known for years and drunk with on several occasions.I don't think it was anything they didn't know.People i know fairly well know i like a drink and others don't know at all.My wife thinks i drink too much but doesn't bring it up much.Maybe in the future i might be more open about it,but at the moment it's not something i would want to go into with most people.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dave47 View Post
I wouldn't be able to broadcast it.I've admitted to a couple of friends that i have a problem with drink,but these lads are people i've known for years and drunk with on several occasions.I don't think it was anything they didn't know.People i know fairly well know i like a drink and others don't know at all.My wife thinks i drink too much but doesn't bring it up much.Maybe in the future i might be more open about it,but at the moment it's not something i would want to go into with most people.
I've been raised and brought up in Scotland; it seems to be a society which encourages a very damaging culture of drinking which is why it took so long for me to accept that I was an alcoholic. When I lived and worked in England it was much the same. You'd probably be surprised if you were to find out how many of your your friends think they drink far too much as well...

The drinking guidelines for how many units a person should drink per week are ridiculed by almost every person I know - many drink 2 to 3 times more than that, I probably drank 10-15 times that!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I lived most of my life in and around Newark, N. J., and got sober there. Went to many, many AA meetings...no one ever seemed surprised that the majority of the members were of Irish, Scottish, English background, although American born. On the other hand, you very rarely saw those of Jewish or Oriental heritage. Could very well have something to say in support of the theory of genetics re alcoholism?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I think Kevin hit the nail on the head with this one..

Karen