Language of Letting Go - September 20

Old 09-20-2007, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - September 20

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Spontaneity

In recovery, we're learning to let ourselves go! We're learning to be spontaneous.

Spontaneity may frighten some of us. We may be afraid of the loss of control involved with spontaneity. We may still be operating under the codependent rules that prohibit spontaneity: be good; be right; be perfect; be strong; don't have fun; and always be in control.

We may associate spontaneity with acting out in an addictive, compulsive, self destructive, or irresponsible manner.

That's not what we're talking about in recovery. Positive spontaneity involves freely expressing who we are - in a way that is fun, healthy, doesn't hurt us, and doesn't infringe on the right of others.

We learn to be spontaneous and free as we grow in self-awareness and self esteem. Spontaneity emerges as our confidence and trust in ourselves increase, and we become more secure in our ability to maintain healthy boundaries.

Being spontaneous is connected to our ability to play and achieve intimacy. For all those desirable acts, we need to be able to let go of our need to control others and ourselves and fully and freely enter into the present moment.

Let go of your tight rein on yourself. So what if you make a mistake? So what if you're wrong? Relish your imperfections. Let yourself be a little needy, a little vulnerable. Take a risk!

We can be spontaneous without hurting ourselves, or others. In fact, everyone will benefit by our spontaneity.

Today, I will throw out the rulebook and enjoy being who I am. I will have some fun with the gift of life, others, and myself

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Learning to be spontaneous helped me when I needed to get out of myself.

As a codependent it is too easy for me to isolate and withdraw to my own little world, a world that can be filled with sadness and obsession sometimes. Being able to just get up and get out into the outdoors and nature or go be with people at a meeting or socially can make all the difference in where my mind goes.

Having fun nourishes that part of me that needs to laugh and just relax and enjoy that which is around me.

Just for today, I will take special time to just do something that is fun and spontaneous and good for my soul.

Hugs