Notices

Fellowship

Old 09-19-2007, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Fellowship

Hey hows it goin...I recently received my 90 days and life is coming together for me well physically and financially. I'm currently working on the 4th step with my sponse. I moved to Florida from NJ two months ago and I'm very pleased with the amount of young people there are here in recovery, from what ive been told Delray Beach is the capital of recovery in the US. However, despite being around so many recovering peops and attending meetings daily, I'm struggling with making a support network and friends that I can share recovery with. Im an extremely fearful and introverted person and I'm open to any tips, suggestions, or shared experiences on how some of you built a network. For me to drug again is to die but I think about using when I step into the brown jacuzzi (pitty pot) and compare more social peops in recovery, who are enjoying themselves and talking with others, while I feel lonely but afraid to speak with anyone..
Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome again, Jerzy, glad you've decided to join us.

For me, building a support network in recovery is a process that continues to grow, posting on SR is part of it. I can post here during my workday, in the afternoon I attend my meetings, after the meetings I go out with other AA'ers for coffee or dinner. On the weekends there are plenty of AA activities for all ages I can participate in if I have the desire. Service work is a huge part of my recovery too, I chair meetings, empty the trash at our Club, and some nights I'm a greeter.

All of those things take away the loneliness I created with my addictions, but the first step I had to take was reaching out when I needed help, and accepting help when people offered it.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I come here to SR every day and it helps me to read and to post.

There is always someone here and it's always easy to find something inspirational.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

Good stuff, I'm going to find a commitment ASAP.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree with Anna, coming here to SR is a great way to connect with other people - especially for those lonely times when you can't connect with someone f2f. Keep reading and posting, Jerzy, there's a lot of inspiration here!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hiya Jerzy

A commitment is a good idea, I made coffee and got to know everyone.

It does take time to build a network.I am really shy too so I can relate to seeing everyone else having a blast and feeling on the outside looking in.

All that gets better when you get a little more time under your belt, it really does, the uncomfortable feelings pass and you will be more at ease.

Hang in there

Love, Rose
Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Welcome again, Jerzy, glad you've decided to join us.

For me, building a support network in recovery is a process that continues to grow, posting on SR is part of it. I can post here during my workday, in the afternoon I attend my meetings, after the meetings I go out with other AA'ers for coffee or dinner. On the weekends there are plenty of AA activities for all ages I can participate in if I have the desire. Service work is a huge part of my recovery too, I chair meetings, empty the trash at our Club, and some nights I'm a greeter.

All of those things take away the loneliness I created with my addictions, but the first step I had to take was reaching out when I needed help, and accepting help when people offered it.
Congrats on your 90 days...were you pinned, as is the custom here in Jersey?

All of the things Astro mentioned, I did and enjoyed for roughly 20 years while I lived in North Jersey. Then, I moved to Brick for four years, and felt like a fish out of water most of the time. Although I joined a group, made meetings, even celebrated 22 years, I just couldn't seem to network, and continued to keep in touch with the AA's I knew before.

After moving back North for a couple of years, I'm again in Brick...but in a nursing home. I'm not physically able to make f2f meetings anymore...so SR has become my "lifeline"...my 24 hour meeting. But, when you headed this thread: Fellowship, it struck a chord...that's what I miss most about the meetings!

I wish you well in establishing a good, strong network in Florida. And, remember, there's always someone walking in the door with much less than 90 days who could use you to make them feel welcome. To that person, you're practically an Old-Timer!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Jerzy007

22 years, thats awesome and really inspiring to hear from you on SR. I was born and raised in Trenton but had alot of friends in Bergen county, I love North Jersey. AnywayThey have a chip system that denotes lengths of sobriety down here and they are given out at the end of every meeting.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Actually, it's 27 years total...28 coming up 11/15/07 (first 20 years + 4 in Brick + 3 back North)...but, who's counting!?! Anyway, it goes fast when you're having fun.

rae