Hi new here

Old 09-19-2007, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi new here

Hello,

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. My name is Shaun. I stumbled onto SR from a friend of mine on another recovery forum. I'm 34 years old... my A is my husband. We have twin boys who are 4 years old. AH has been in "total recovery" (meaning substance free) for almost 6 months. His DOC was alcohol and pot. Towards the end of this last stint he did a major job on my van costing insurance 6K in damages and me/family 1K in deductibles. I had to have him leave the home because his using became a danger to me and the kids as well as himself. I could no longer stand idly by and watch him kill himself. He went to Detox then a half way house for 90 days. It was going into the second month that he began to talk differently about himself, his addiction, and the ruin he left behind.

He has tried AA about 4 times but admitted that he never really admitted that he was an addict. Mostly he went to get me and the others off his back. He appears to be "getting it", but still has a great deal of things he struggles with. Recently he lost his sponser... and that has affected him probably more than he recognizes.

I've been attending Alanon meetings for the last 2 years and really working my program for the last year. I have a great online sponser who has become a wonderful friend to me. I have learned so much from great people in recovery. I look forward to getting to know some of you and share any E,S, and H I might have.

Peace,
ajangels2
Old 09-19-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shaun,,,aka ajangels2,,Welcome to SR,,,,

good for you turning to alanon, it sounds like you know how to detach. And twins huh?!?! Boys no less,,now THERE'S a challenge,,,he,he,he

We can ALWAYS use others ESH here and I look forward to hearing yours in future posts,,,

Peace
Old 09-19-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome Shaun, glad you're here and I'll look forward to hearing more from you.

Sounds like you have a wonderful recovery program, and I hope your AH will "get it" someday too.

Scott
Old 09-19-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, shaun! keep posting, k
Old 09-19-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am new here too, I have 2 lovely children (5&7) & their dad is an addict, when we were together he was violent & abusive but I was very nieve & didn't notice his addictions or see them as problems (I was young & stupid) as far as I knew his DOC was alcohol & hash & only when I walked into our flat while he was smoking heroine I realised he had issues & left with 2 babies under 2 & a babybag. Unfortunatly I had fallen out with my family while I was living with my x so myself & my children ended up in emergency accom. I haven't seen x in over 3 years but last Christmas I recieved a card from prison saying how sorry he was & how he wants to make it up to the kids & that he'd be in touch but I have heard nothing since.

I am now seeing a wonderful man who is 2 years 'clean & sober' & has thought me that there is life after addiction (something I didn't believe) but not suprisingly I am scared. Hopefully I will find the surport I need on here.

sorry to rant
Old 09-19-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to you also, yummy!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi shaun
I have twin girls that are identical. They are older than your boys. My girls turned 17 today and they are senior in high scholl AND on the honor roll. I can never talk enough about my kids. You sound as though you got it together. You have been going through this mess long enough to know what you have to do. I hope you stay with us and keep posting. We could learn from you and you moght pick up some knowledge from one of the SR buddies. There sure sre some nice people here. Very wise too. They are always here to guide me with a gentle hand. Ilove these people. Welcome yo Sr....hope to see you around..........Viki
Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome yummy mummy.
There is definitely life after addiction. You have to look for it. sometimes it will hit you in the face and other times it can be elusive but it is there. You were strong to have walked away. I'm glad that you found he strength to get you and those babies out of there. I hope to see you around on SR. Here is a hug to welcome you.................Hugs.....Viki
Old 09-19-2007, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome shaun and yummy mummy! i am looking forward to getting to know you, and sharing with you. we are all life lines for each other......lots of great people here.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank guys for your warm welcome, I'm looking forward to posting more.
Peace
Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Hey my friend, Shaun,

So glad you made the jump over here to SR - as you can see this is an awesome place with many wonderful recovery people that treat you like family as soon as you join the forum.

Yummy Mummy - welcome to you too - glad that you took that courageous step to get out of that dangerous situation & are living in a better life now.

So grateful for SR - look at what wonderful people we get to meet & have as part of our recovery family - Ain't God good???

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 09-20-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank u for the nice welcomes & I am glad I found this site, in my world so far BF was the exception to the lepards & spots rule & I am glad to read that he is not the only person who has 'changed his spots'

Maybe 1 day in the future my x will arrive on my doorstep after sorting out his life but in the mean time I am glad my not so much babies (5 & 7) anymore don't have anything to do with him (harsh as that may sound)