sister update

Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sister update

She came home on Sunday morning, but brought the bf, too so my dad said no he couldn't come in. My sister didn't like that answer, so she left with the guy all day and night. Monday she called said she be back later in the day. Never once asking about her daughter. Again, she didn't come home. Today, no word from her at all either.

My parents are taking care of my little niece while my sister isn't there. They practically take care of her anyway when my sister is there, too.

My mom asked if I'd start documenting this info. because I don't live there and she didn't want anything in writing at the house. Not really sure why, it's the truth.

Anyway, mom is going to a meeting with me on Saturday and today she did ask how I was doing and told me she's proud of how I'm handling things and taking care of all of the responsibilities I have at work. I'm just trying to keep doing one thing at a time and remembering to take a few more deep breaths.

Sending out a prayer that my sister stays safe tonight and to all of those family members not at home either.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Prayers for all who are out there in the darkness.... and for those of us who are holding the light.

Cats
Old 09-19-2007, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My prayers too, for your sister and you and your family.

Addiction truly is a family disease, so I am glad you are going to meetings and working on your side of healing.

Hugs
Old 09-19-2007, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't understand how they can blow their kids off like that either, my AD is the same way with her son. I would like to think that it's their way of protecting the child from their drug life. Maybe they realize they can't take care of the child an use at the same time I don't know. But the fact still remains they choose using drugs over the well being of their child. Glad your niece has your parents an you to look after her.
Prayers for all of you.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, she called today and told my mom she'd pick up my niece from pre-school.
Then called later and said she couldn't pick her up, but she'd be home tonight.

Same story, different day. At least we've heard from her, but she's still a no show.

Thanks, everyone, for the support. I'm one day closer to my meeting.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm not sure if it's been suggested or already shared here (forgive me I have read so many posts lately that I can get them confused)..but perhaps someone should see about getting at least temporary guardianship of this child. Sadly, the child is the innocent victim here and without something legal in place, your sister could come home stoned and take her child with her. An active addict is rarely capable of the responsibility required to take care of a child.

I'm sorry to sound so negative and sad, but this is a reality that many of us have had to consider.

Hugs
Old 09-20-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so sorry that you, your family and another child is affected by yet another addict. I too am faced with the reality of raising my grandchildren because my daughter choose drugs over her children. However, most people on here are convienced that drug addiction is a disease...I am not at the point to where I beleive that. Cancer is a disease - a disease isn't something that was personally inflicked upon someone..meaning..a person didn't do something to cause it. Drug abuse however is a choice..it was their choice in the beginning to put the needle in their arm, the crack pipe to their mouth. Maybe one day with the help of this board and meetings...someone can convience my hard head that these people didn't make the choice to ruin their lives and the lives of their loved ones.

As far as keeping notes, that is a wonderful idea. I too keep a journal about everything that has happened. Every phone call, every correspondence...EVERYTHING. I keep these notes because one day I feel they will be helpful in court to help me win custody of my 2 grandchildren. I keep these notes in hopes that one day my daughter will wake up and will get the help she needs. Beleive me, if she ever gets help and gets her act together...these notes will be used for her reading purposes. She needs to realize that although I do not communicate with her anymore....I still love her.

Good luck to everyone in your family.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am not at the point to where I beleive that. Cancer is a disease - a disease isn't something that was personally inflicked upon someone..meaning..a person didn't do something to cause it. Drug abuse however is a choice..it was their choice in the beginning to put the needle in their arm, the crack pipe to their mouth.
Trisha...I feel the same way.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's the power of the drug's effect on their brain chemistry that overpowers other drives, even maternal drive. The right fit between drugs and receptor can have at least 5 times the reward (pleasure) we get in normal daily life.

Sounds like your sister is chasing that high. Sometimes the world around them has to crumble b4 they wake up and smell the coffee. I hope she realizes the damage soon b4 it's too late.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another day....same story, no show...she spoke to my niece over the speaker phone and my niece asked are you coming home. Sister said I'll be home later, I promise.
More documentation...

My mom mentioned looking into some type of guardianship. I'll check into what I can for her, but I told her she might be able to meet someone at this weekend's meeting who had to do the same thing. Much of my info. I get online so my mom asks me to research stuff.

Someone called my parents house late last night looking for my sister. Said they thought she stole money from them. My sister's cell phone broke so now my parents are getting calls from people looking for her.

This is the longest my sister has been away. I'm starting to get a little angry now and nauseous about the whole thing.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I'm not sure if it's been suggested or already shared here (forgive me I have read so many posts lately that I can get them confused)..but perhaps someone should see about getting at least temporary guardianship of this child. Sadly, the child is the innocent victim here and without something legal in place, your sister could come home stoned and take her child with her. An active addict is rarely capable of the responsibility required to take care of a child.

I'm sorry to sound so negative and sad, but this is a reality that many of us have had to consider.

Hugs
I completely agree! I wish something legal could be in place automatically already!
We're going to look into it. Wish I knew a couple of lawyers.