Notices

Reminder of Being Drunk

Old 09-18-2007, 05:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reminder of Being Drunk

Hey guys, I hope everyone is well....I just need to share this b/c I am going to my meetings, but I am just not comfortable enough to do a whole lot of sharing there yet.

I have had a cold for the last couple days and been taking a (non-alcoholic ) cold medicine. For the last two nights, I have been having weird dreams, involving real people in my life. The dreams include having unpleasant conversations/interactions with people I love, even my husband. Then I wake up, and I am scared for a minute that the dreams really happened, and it reminds me of the times that I couldn't quite remember falling asleep because of drinking and waking up feeling the same way. I am thinking it is just the medicine, so I am going to get some other brand today. (Also, I am almost better, unlike the days when I would medicate with booze and drag the illness out an extra week)

For whatever reason, these dreams have been really troubling to me. I don't know if it is the reminder of being drunk or what, but they have me a bit rattled. I know (in my head) that it is just another hurdle in the recovery process, but my emotions haven't quite caught up with that yet.

Anyway, just needed to share this, somehow talking about it makes it seem less threatening.

As always, thanks for listening guys! You're the best!
Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jomey, I hope you're feeling better soon.

Dreams can seem so real, and I've had drinking/using dreams where I was absolutely convinced that I had relapsed, and I would wake up feeling hungover. I've learned that our brains are able to recreate this experience effectively - and that's why we feel the physical manifestations.

Dreams can stay with me for several hours, and I, too, find them troublesome and difficult to shake off. My experience has been that they occur less often, and are less troublesome, the longer I am sober.

I'm glad you're sober today, and are here sharing with us.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

it is good to talk about them, so glad you posted. k
Old 09-18-2007, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Jomey I seem to have far more vivid dreams now, early on in sobriety it seemed as though they were good dreams or really bad dreams that shake me up pretty good, mine have gotten better.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Perhaps you are unaware of PAWS

http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm

Yes...those dreams are part of erly sobriety.
They will lessen in frequency and intensity
as you continue to progress.

Do you pray before sleep?

Blessings
Old 09-18-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
believer

I think you got many great answers up there...i have them too, not sure why..i usually take some time in the morning to see what's real or not...but i know that i am giving you a
Old 09-18-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I always get the dream syndrome really bad.
I have posted a couple threads on here about mine.
I know how it feels ...They feel so real and it's like they sit with you all day.
And I keep playing it over and over trying to make sense of it.
But they are only dreams and yes a part of recovery.
But none the less..They do seem so real.
And I also feel so worn out when I dream like that. Like I didnt sleep at all.
I hope you feel better. And they do go away.
I have made it a ritual when I wake up I tell my grams what I dreamt.
She gets a kick out of some of them.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jomey
one of the less great parts of recovery. They do get better tho - promise

D
Old 09-18-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'll bet "normal drinkers" don't have those dreams...but, if they do, they just shake 'em off, and aren't troubled by them.

Remember, you have very little control over your subconscious...be grateful it's just a dream, and maybe another way of your Higher Power keeping your memory green.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Dreams can seem so real, and I've had drinking/using dreams where I was absolutely convinced that I had relapsed, and I would wake up feeling hungover. I've learned that our brains are able to recreate this experience effectively - and that's why we feel the physical manifestations.
I experience this pretty often, thanks for explaining it so simply Rowan.

They do get better, Jomey, and the best part for me is shaking it off and letting the warmth of recovery wash over me. Hang in there!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well said
Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, Thanks for all your great responses. My "thanks" thing seems to be going nuts, either doubling up or skipping! So sincere thanks to anyone that the computer may have skipped.

I can feel all the hugs and I also feel much better today, so I am ready to go without the cold medicine, and I am hoping that will help with the dreams, too. Astro, I loved your words and I look forward to "letting the warmth of recovery wash over me" if the dreams do come. That is beautifully put.

And as my friend Karim knows especially, I try to emulate St. Paul and "pray without ceasing"! Thanks for letting me share my friends!
Old 09-18-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i wondered how you scored the double thanks! ha! can't thank you too many times anyway...
Old 09-18-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For whatever reason, these dreams have been really troubling to me. I don't know if it is the reminder of being drunk or what, but they have me a bit rattled. I know (in my head) that it is just another hurdle in the recovery process, but my emotions haven't quite caught up with that yet.
One of my drinking triggers was always a dream of "Her" (My Highschool sweetheart) . Thr dream was always so warm and comfortable, and everything felt "just right". I'd always drink to forget it.

Yeah, I'm a hopeless romantic.

Anyway, the wierd dreams and the drinking dreams go away with time. IEven though I've heard drinking dreams happen from time to time to those even with 10 or 20 years....It's disconcerting, but normal.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Jomey, I'm glad your hanging in there. Yes, I hate dreams too. Especially the bad ones. I still remember bad dreams i had as a kid. I've always had vivid dreams since i was a child it seems like. Doesn't matter if I'm drunk or sober I seem to have them.

Take care.

Barb
Old 09-19-2007, 05:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi everybody - YUK! I did have another uncomfortable dream last night, but I thought of all the good advice I got here and it helped me get back to sleep. Thanks for the all the reassurance that this is normal - that helped alot too.

Thanks again & wishes for sweet dreams for everyone tonight! J
Old 09-19-2007, 08:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I had a dream last night that my ex and I were at a resort and I ordered a beer. Then I ran after the waiter screaming to cancel my order. For some reason I thought it would be OK to have just ONE.

It was wonderful to wake up and look forward to another beautiful day in sobriety!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Actual, Astro, it probably WOULD be okay to have just one.

No, really, yeah ... it would ...

IN YOUR DREAMS!
Old 09-19-2007, 11:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Astro...special thanks for your words of comfort...I loved the idea of the "warmth of recovery washing over me". I thought about that when I woke up after the dream last night and the thoughts have been with me throughout the day and if you don't mind, I am going to share them at my yoga class tonight...I love the imagery...I am thinking of it in terms of the warmth of the love I get from my HP washing over me...very restful... Thanks again...sorry you had to experience that uncomfortable dream...we'll get through it all together.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thank you, jomey!

thank you, jomey!