Notices

New Here - Day 3

Old 09-15-2007, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here - Day 3

Hi, I`m glad I found this site and been reading it non stop the last few days. I took my last drink wed morning and it is now sat morning. I can`t believe I`m sitting here drinking a cup of coffee like a normal person in the morning instead of a glass of wine!

I feel pretty good physically - am able to eat, but not alot. Drinking alot of water too. Still have the intense urge to drink but I am resisting. I don`t really have anyone to share this struggle with so I am kind of going thru it alone IRL.

I did the AA thing years ago (1990 or 1991) the most I was able to get was 5 days and I wasn`t nearly as sick as I am now . May look into it again, not sure yet.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr...

Hi,

I am happy to hear that you may try AA again...The meetings have been a lifesaver for me...

Keep posting,
So glad you found us...
Old 09-15-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi Daydreamer, nice to meet you

Congratulations on Day 3, thats a great acheivement. Hope you continue to read here, and post too.

Do you have any idea why AA didn't work for you back then? I'm 9 months sober, and went my first meeting the other night, so I'm very new to AA.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Talking

[I]'ve been in and out of AA for 7 years...never really worked the program until 3 weeks ago ( I finally hit my bottom). In all the treatment centers and detox places I've been too none would address my depression. Since my last Detox I went to see a Dr. who specializes in addiction...he put me on an Antidepressent and Camprol ( a medication to help with the cravings). I am now 20 days sober ( I've never been able to go more than 3 days without a drink and that was rare). I'm also going to AA and have a sponser ( another thing I never did before). My life has omproved so much in such a short time!!!! God bless AA
Old 09-15-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi daydreamer ..Glad you are here..Good job on staying sober for a few days.
Keep it up.
Hope to see more of you.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey Daydreamer,
Welcome to SR! Sounds like you're managing through some intense cravings and w/d. I've heard how difficult it is with alcohol, so I'm really rootin' for you.

Keep posting, especially when you feel vulnerable to cravings.

Best,
Dave
Old 09-15-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone! The reason AA didnt work for me the first time is that I was only there because I was sent by my shrink and I didnt want to be there and I didnt want to stop drinking, so of course it didnt work. The reason he sent me was because he had put me on an antidepressent that he said could not be combined with alcohol due to risk of seizure. At the time, I don`t think I really cared.

Bad idea drinking that coffee -it made me shakey and hot - now I remember why I quit drinking it when I was drinking - had enough shakes in the morning without that, LOL.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Daydreamer,
Teas have almost the same 'wake-up' effect without the jittery, sweating feeling. I would suggest 2 green-tea-bags per cup. It's much better for you (keeps you young with antioxidants), wakes you up, and doesn't have that 'shaky' feeling.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Daydreamer,

Welcome! I hope you are ready to go back to AA - I sure couldn't beat this thing on my own. It took me a few kicks at the cat for sobriety to take hold, but even on the bad days I have now, I wouldn't trade them for what it was like when I was still drinking. I've got a history of depression and trauma, and I'm sober today. What a gift!

Rowan
Old 09-15-2007, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Welcome back from Hell! Do go to AA meetings again...HOW it works is Honesty, Open-mindedness and Willingness...very simple, really. Sounds like you've already got what it takes this time around.

Best of luck to you...keep us posted on your progress.

Oh, by the way, decaf is highly recommended in early recovery.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
cmc

Welcome to SR and congrats on the three days!
Old 09-15-2007, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My 3rd Day Too !!!

Hi daydreamer, thank you very much for sharing this...Guess what ? This is my 3rd Day sober as well !!! I'd like to share my story if it is ok with everyone...

I just discovered this site today and decided to join it and read the posts and share my feelings...

Alcohol has been a train of disaster in my life....I have hit bottom in the past - DUI, jail, fines, job loss, etc... I finally decided to clean up last year and went thru intense pain doing so, but went to a few AA meetings that really helped...But somehow, I was arrogant and once I got a decent job, I thought I could just have a few on the weekends and that worked for a while and then I went to Africa for 4 months this year and all hell broke loose - I have been drinking since then, was sober for 5 days once, but been drunk ever since...my "sober" days in this period have been taking time off work to just recover...
Then last week for labor day weekend and a week after I went on a literal 8 day binge of 24/7 consumption and major partying at the bars and at home...Then finally, on wednesday night, i had ran out of booze, i drank myself sober and decided that's it...I have been sober since, but it has been an absolute nightmare ever since, dealing with the withdrawals - I have no friends or family in the area who can help me...I spent the last 2 days crawling up, caughing up a storm, having intense stomach problems, sh!tting black stool and having terrible nightmares and muscle spasms and I had even had one muscle cramp, that lasted 20 mins of hellful pain...
BUT, during this whole nightmare of no friends, no family and frightening pain ( at one point I thought I was going to die alone in my bed !!) - I did the one thing that I remembered from AA - I prayed :
"God, Grant me the Serenity to Accept the things I can't change,
The courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference"
So far, it is working...Today has been good, I slept for 12 hours and I still have the twitches, but I am feeling better and more confident that I can make it through...Even though I might loose my job as a result of being away for a week, I am now more concerned about being sober than anything else, because if I dont, I might not Live at all...and I want to Live, free of booze and enjoy this beautiful world...

I am going to my first AA meeting in over a year tonite, on my own. It is incredibly difficult, but I am hoping my Faith in God will carry me there...
I feel like crying, but I can only pray for the strength to stay sober Today...

Thanks for reading...
mkvan
Old 09-15-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm new here too. Congrats on getting through these past few days. I wish you all the best.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Welcome Daydreamer, and
Welcome to mkvan!

Glad you found us here at SR.

Lots of good people here who understand.

Sober is good! Hang in there,
Ted
Old 09-15-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to daydreamer and mkvan

Hi again chai...

Sobriety Rocks!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
Hi, I`m glad I found this site and been reading it non stop the last few days. I took my last drink wed morning and it is now sat morning. I can`t believe I`m sitting here drinking a cup of coffee like a normal person in the morning instead of a glass of wine!

I feel pretty good physically - am able to eat, but not alot. Drinking alot of water too. Still have the intense urge to drink but I am resisting. I don`t really have anyone to share this struggle with so I am kind of going thru it alone IRL.

I did the AA thing years ago (1990 or 1991) the most I was able to get was 5 days and I wasn`t nearly as sick as I am now . May look into it again, not sure yet.

go to the meetings and work the prgm..I wasn't serious about it and blew my 47 days of sobriety because I wasn’t serious...I listened to their advice but didn't hear it.....and am starting again...work the prgm.....advice from a now recovering again drunk.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by mkvan View Post
Hi daydreamer, thank you very much for sharing this...Guess what ? This is my 3rd Day sober as well !!! I'd like to share my story if it is ok with everyone...

I just discovered this site today and decided to join it and read the posts and share my feelings...

Alcohol has been a train of disaster in my life....I have hit bottom in the past - DUI, jail, fines, job loss, etc... I finally decided to clean up last year and went thru intense pain doing so, but went to a few AA meetings that really helped...But somehow, I was arrogant and once I got a decent job, I thought I could just have a few on the weekends and that worked for a while and then I went to Africa for 4 months this year and all hell broke loose - I have been drinking since then, was sober for 5 days once, but been drunk ever since...my "sober" days in this period have been taking time off work to just recover...
Then last week for labor day weekend and a week after I went on a literal 8 day binge of 24/7 consumption and major partying at the bars and at home...Then finally, on wednesday night, i had ran out of booze, i drank myself sober and decided that's it...I have been sober since, but it has been an absolute nightmare ever since, dealing with the withdrawals - I have no friends or family in the area who can help me...I spent the last 2 days crawling up, caughing up a storm, having intense stomach problems, sh!tting black stool and having terrible nightmares and muscle spasms and I had even had one muscle cramp, that lasted 20 mins of hellful pain...
BUT, during this whole nightmare of no friends, no family and frightening pain ( at one point I thought I was going to die alone in my bed !!) - I did the one thing that I remembered from AA - I prayed :
"God, Grant me the Serenity to Accept the things I can't change,
The courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference"
So far, it is working...Today has been good, I slept for 12 hours and I still have the twitches, but I am feeling better and more confident that I can make it through...Even though I might loose my job as a result of being away for a week, I am now more concerned about being sober than anything else, because if I dont, I might not Live at all...and I want to Live, free of booze and enjoy this beautiful world...

I am going to my first AA meeting in over a year tonite, on my own. It is incredibly difficult, but I am hoping my Faith in God will carry me there...
I feel like crying, but I can only pray for the strength to stay sober Today...

Thanks for reading...
mkvan

great post mkvan......I am just now after 47 days and falling off the wagon realizing that my job , material possessions etc. do me no good if I cannot enjoy them ...and being juiced doesn't help me enjoy them it puts them in jeopardy....
Old 09-16-2007, 02:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Day 4 and counting...

Hello everyone,
Thanks for all the encouragement...
Yesterday was absolutely awesome for me... I treated myself to a movie at 3pm, had a great Thai dinner, then went to the 8pm AA meeting which was by far the best event of the nite and at 1030pm, walked right past my favorite bars and went to another movie...came home at 1am, slept comfortably, the shakes are almost gone, but the food and lots of juices and green tea seem to be helping a lot and the twitches have disappeared as well...

Woke up this morning all excited, went to a coffee shop and had a project meeting then was dropped off at an AA meeting at 12pm, which was really cool and I just treated myself to a great breakfast...It's raining here in vancouver and quite miserable, which has been in the past a major trigger, but going to the meeting and talking about the feelings and everyone felt miserable, then I didn't feel so bad...Now I'm having a tea and writing this note and heading for a matinee movie again...I love movies, that's all I did when I was sober...

I'm thankful to God and everyone in AA that have made the last couple days...quite pleasant...Looking forward to cleaning up my space a little later on and have a good nite sleep...

I was told by a temp sponsor at last nite's meeting that I should do the 90 meetings in 90 days, to really get rid of this beast...and that's what I'm going to seriously try and do, and I'll update this forum the best I can so others can benefit from my experience...

Thanks to all...AA and this support group definitely help, keep trying...

Cheers,
mkvan
Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - I`m updating a bit - I`m on day 6 now!
It`s been years since I`ve gone this long - I`m amazed.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you!

I'm glad you found us.