Notices

campral and drinking

Old 09-14-2007, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hurt again

campral and drinking

I want my AH to consider taking campral...the problem is he doesn't feel that he could ever stop drinking completly. He just wants to cut back and learn to control it. Is this possible with this drug?
Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you Google for information.

As he is planning to continue drinking
he won't need anything to counteract cravings.

JMO
Old 09-14-2007, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

campral

I have been on Campral for some time. I don't think is really works for me. I have a tendency to start with beer, and the next day get a bottle of Citron. Campral may have helped give me the strength to stay away from the Citron and stick with beer. It is hard to say, my drinking habits are quite random.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any other questions.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If this person is an alcoholic, there is no cutting back. However, they can control it by quitting. Whatever works for the individual in helping them to abstain from drinking is part of the solution to the drinking problem. do social drinkers need the
Campral or is it for alcoholics? Viki
Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my opinion, it depends the social drinker. Many social drinkers I know are alcoholics and function in society quite well, for now. Campral is for individuals, alcoholics, that "crave" a drink. It is supposed to reduce cravings.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is just my personal opinion of course, but I have problems with any "addiction" medication that comes with the warning: "Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Campral may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities".

Isn't that kind of defeating the purpose of sobriety? I guess it works for some people, but it seems kind of pointless if you consider the fact that it isn't solving the problem as much as masking it. Again, just my opinion.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think for some people just the fact that they are taking a medication helps them get some relief and support.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I'm on Campral. It only works, in my opinion, if the person taking it is willing to work with it. There is no way it will stop someone from drinking, that is a choice each of us has to make personally for ourselves - to drink or not to drink. It does however, help with the cravings for alcohol. So, once the person has decided to put down the alcohol and not pick it back up, the Campral can help reduce the craving for the alcohol. It works for me. But it won't work if I make the conscious decision to drink anyway. All it does is help me not CRAVE it, I still have to decide not to let stress, anger, fear, sadness, happiness, etc, be reason enough for me to pick up the bottle anyway.

It's like anything else used to help in recovery, it'll work for some but not for everyone. And nothing works if the person in recovery isn't working for it.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Camrpal Worked For Me!

I have been drinking daily for 20 years. # treatment centers and several detox's didn't help..the cravings were just too strong. Started taking Campral 3 weeks ago...haven't had the urge since. Apparently it doesn't work for everyone ( my Doctor told me it helped about 30-40% of the patients he was treating) but it certainly has worked for me....Day 21 and going strong!!!! ( I'm also going to AA and have a sponser)

Good luck!!