My sister is using again.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My sister is using again.

IMy sister came home and brought the bf, too.
They slept all day and my sister was in no condition to pick up my niece from school.
They had been up for days/nights and were crashing.
I was already at the house visiting with my grandma so I went with my mom to the pre-school and got her. The evening was ok, we had dinner and I listened to my mom. My mom broke down and said she doesn't know how to take care of herself when her daughter is so messed up and can't care for her own child. I suggested she come with me to a meeting and find some more support. Unfortunately, so many people have been through it, too.
It all boils down to the fear because we've been down this road with my sister in the past. Now there's a child to think of this time.

I'm most proud of my dad tonight because he didn't let the bf stay and when I was leaving, he told him let's go, he couldn't stay there tonight. So my dad drove the guy somewhere.

My feelings are a little all over the place. I'm not getting caught up in the drama this time around. I have more compassion for my sister and her addiction. She needs help, but isn't ready to admit it. She's been clean for years, but never dealt with the issues she still has. The cycle has begun again. This time, though I have more understanding of the problem and know that I can only help myself. I can't save her or my parents from the pain. I'm still choosing peace while this is happening.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

No matter how much recovery we have or how strong we become, it still tears at our heart to see someone we love slip back into the darkness of addiction.

If she had years of sobriety, she will remember how good that felt, and my prayers go out that she reaches out for help soon.

Bless you all for supporting each other and most of all, God Bless the child.

Hugs
Old 09-14-2007, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On a tear

Sounds like you have some good recovery going on there.... despite your sister's relapse, you are staying strong.

I admire your dad for dropping the bf off somewhere else. Could have been a big bunch of chaos... instead, it just "was".

(((hugs)))

Keep posting - lots of us in the boat with you.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

congratulations on being strong and my thoughts will be with you and your family
Old 09-15-2007, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

Lots of hugs!

It's such a tough thing to do, to be strong for yourself, but you must. Losing more people to the behavior of addiction even when they are not addicts, is such a real tragedy.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My mom broke down and said she doesn't know how to take care of herself when her daughter is so messed up and can't care for her own child. I suggested she come with me to a meeting and find some more support. Unfortunately, so many people have been through it, too.
I think you gave your mom the best suggestion possible...to try to take care of herself. You set a wonderful recovery example for her, so I imagine in time she will want what you have.

I'm sorry your sister is back into the madness and I pray for her little one and for all of you. Hugs
Old 09-15-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been there as well with my xhb and my sister, thankfully they are both clean today, but the fear is always there, you just have to try not to let it consume you.
I know it's difficult when there are children involved. My sister had 3 kids at time and her hb is not such a great guy, no drugs, but just very irresponsible.
My mom went through a lot with my sister, my dad was the enabler, I was able to get my mom to a few Al-anon meetings but eventually she caught on, got stronger and started to really care for herself. She joined Weight Watchers and in a year lost 72 lbs, she quit smoking (3 years ago) and now she's even going to the gym. I watch my mom and I am so proud of how she's come through everything, my dad is sort of an easy going person, he isn't the type that needs much support, he too eventually learned to let go of my sister's problems and live life. They both know that at anytime it could fall apart but my mom is insistent she would be just fine.

Take care of yourself and just be there for each other, it's all you can do.