Notices

Here I go....

Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Harleybluz

Here I go....

I've never actually even thought of quitting drinking except for the usual next day all hungover times we all think about it. However, I'm a weekend drinker and am not hungover at the moment since it's Wednesday. I don't know how to even go about this. I'm 50 yrs old and have been drinking since I was 15 yrs old. Long time. I'm not sure I can have fun without a beer in my hand. I've tried to quit smoking several million times and couldn't because I wasn't willing to put down the drink. If you're not a smoker, the two definately go hand in hand. So here I am admitting for the first time that I need to quit NOW. I haven't even discussed this with my husband, i.e.; my drinking buddy. Not much else to say right now so I guess I'll just read posts and try to keep a positive attitude until and through Friday. I'll deal with Saturday when it arrives.
Good luck to everyone else who is new here.
harleybluz
Old 09-12-2007, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Welcome Harley!!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome Harley, you can do this deal! Heck, if I can do it anybody can;-)
Old 09-12-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community, Harley.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

WELCOME!

My husband is my drinking buddy too.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you harley - keep reading and posting. recovery is possible!

blessings, k
Old 09-12-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr...

So glad you found us...

Keep posting...
Old 09-12-2007, 02:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Harley - My husband was also my drinking buddy and we had a grand old time back in the day. (I'm "around" your age...) He died 2 years ago. He beat himself up with heavy drinking from the time he was 15 & although he did finally control his drinking it was too little, too late. I accidentally found SR while searching for health issues of alcoholics. I credit this site for giving me something to cling to and keeping me busy in the wee hours when we all feel so very alone in our struggles. There is so much humor and wisdom here, no one insists you do things their way or judges you. They are quite an amazing group. The best thing is you can feel free to slip up and still be welcome here, so there's no need not to be honest. I feel bad for those who can't share because they don't have access to a computer, or haven't discovered this amazing place.

I'm not sure why you've come to the decision to quit, but it's a wise one. We can't go on until the end of our days keeping up the same old behavior. Something's got to give, probably our organs. My husband and I drank together from the beginning of our marriage, and all our vacations, holidays, etc. were filled with heavy drinking. I can't say why we relied on it so heavily, we had everything going for us back then and should have had a wonderful & long life together. You really do almost have to learn to live again without it - everything seems strange at first. I only have 4 wks. (this time) without my beloved beer, but I'm making it. Still waiting to feel really happy and hopeful, but I know it will come. I couldn't possibly have continued on the way I was without tragedy striking in one form or another.

Much love, compassion and understanding go out to you.....
Old 09-12-2007, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Welcome to SR!

Have a coffee and hang around a while, I've found many friends here.

Ted
Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Harleybluz

Thanks everyone

To Hevyn: I know I didn't go into much detail, felt like I'd be whinning. I just feel so fried from all the drinking. I'm tired all the time and depressed and it doesn't help, could even be the reason why I'm like that. I don't know why my husband and I drink all the time either but we met at a party and have just kept the party going. It's been 17 yrs of marriage. Shouldn't that kind of party be over by now. We're both very afraid of life without the drinking. I just told him this morning that I don't want to drink this weekend and he said he doesn't either. It's weird how you feed each others habit. Once we start drinking we encourage each other to continue. My whole family are alcoholics. Luckily two of my three kids are not. The other will have to find out for himself as you well know. Maybe me and his father 'not' drinking will have an influence since he looks up to us.

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. It's so sad. My brother died, of a motorcycle accident 13 yrs after he quit drinking. Stuff like that just makes you drink even more. You said it's only been 4 weeks without the beer. I think that's incredible! Can't even imagine 4 weeks without so please give yourself a big pat on the back. You deserve it.

Thanks again for the support and I'll definately be back and especially this weekend. Taking a deep breath now since tomorrow is Friday and when it usually all begins. If you can go 4 weeks, I can do one lousy weekend right?
Haryleybluz
Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hi Harley...