Notices

effexor xr withdrawals?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Well

Question effexor xr withdrawals?

My doctor is taking me off of Effexor XR. I have read some pretty bad stuff about getting off of it. I was only on it for about 6 weeks. I wonder if that will make it any easier since I wasn't on it very long. It scares me makes me a little anxious. Any thoughts???
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How much were you taking? It is always a good idea to taper it off for a week or two and then quit cold turkey.
I quit Lexapro 2 weeks ago and it was quite easy but I was only on a very low dosage (5mg while the recommended is 10mg) for 6 months. I took 2,5 for a couple of days then only 1 mg for a few days more and after that two times 1 mg during a week when I felt the "electric zaps". I didn't have bad withdrawal symptoms.

I withdrew cold turkey from 15 mg Paxil 2 years ago after 3 years of usage. That was a living hell. Continious "electric zaps" through my body so heavy I hardly could walk, panic, nightmares, sweating etc.

So I think you will be ok, just taper it off, 6 weeks is really a short time. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Well

I was taking 150 mg . I am very panicy this morning. But I think I am just afraid from all of he negative things I read about getting off of it. I will do 75mg for a few days and then 1/2 of that for a few more. Meanwhile my doc has me taking ativan and stating celexa. I just want to feel ok and be able to function.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there blue,

We're with ya.

Im waking up some nights at 2/3am wondering who is up at the same time for the same reason. Pacing the house in the dark, scared, alone, waiting for "it" to pass.

Intro
Old 09-12-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Well

Thanks Guys , It sure helps to know I am not alone. I really feel blessed to have found this site. I don't post very much but I read it every day. Today I am just trying to take it an hour at a time. I saw my therapist yesterday and she said that if day at a time feels like too much make it a shorter amont of time, it is helping some.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
After being on XR for a little over a year my doctor weaned me off it over the period of a month, I had zero side effects. Everyone will have a different experience. Yep, I read all those horror stories too.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Well

Thank you Astro, It is amazing what a little encouragment can do to lighten the anxiety.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Well

So far so good. I continue to feel anxious but I am down to 1/4 of a pill for the last two days. I haven't noticed any withdrawals. I'll continue a few more days then be done.