Courage to Change ~ Sept 5

Old 09-05-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ Sept 5

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 9/5

When I began studying the Seventh Step, which says, “Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings,” my list of shortcomings included an extensive catalogue of feelings. I humbly asked God to remove my anger, fear, and guilt. I looked forward to the day when I would never experience any of these emotions again.

Of course, that day never arrived. Instead, I have learned that feelings aren’t shortcomings. The true nature of my problem was my stubborn refusal to acknowledge feelings, to accept them, and to let them go. I have very little power over what feelings arise, but what I choose to do about them is my responsibility.

Today I can accept my feelings, share about them with others, recognize that they are feelings, not facts, and then let them go. I’m no longer stuck in a state of seemingly endless rage or self-pity, for when I give myself permission to feel whatever I feel, the feelings pass. My emotions have not been removed; instead, I have been relieved of shortcomings that blocked my self-acceptance.

Today’s Reminder

When I take the Seventh Step, I pray that whatever interferes with my Higher Power’s will for me may be removed. I don’t have to have all the answers. I need only be willing.

“We didn’t necessarily get the results we wanted, but somehow we always seemed to get what we needed.”

In All Our Affairs
Old 09-05-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Today I can accept my feelings, share about them with others, recognize that they are feelings, not facts, and then let them go
That was one of the most important lessons I ever learned... that feelings are JUST feelings and not facts. The caveat to that is that feelings aren't "good" or "bad", they are our feelings and all acceptable. It's what we DO with those feelings that can create problems ~ or what some lovingly call "growth opportunities" ~ in our lives.

There was a time when I was soooo numb that I really didn't have any feelings other than fear. When I was in a safer place, after some recovery, I started to explore my feelings. Many times they got big and hairy and scary as they were all new and raw. With the help of recovery friends and a loving sponsor, I was able to recognize new feelings, accept them, sit with them, and then take an action if necessary.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
That was one of the most important lessons I ever learned... that feelings are JUST feelings and not facts. The caveat to that is that feelings aren't "good" or "bad", they are our feelings and all acceptable. It's what we DO with those feelings that can create problems ~ or what some lovingly call "growth opportunities" ~ in our lives.

There was a time when I was soooo numb that I really didn't have any feelings other than fear. When I was in a safer place, after some recovery, I started to explore my feelings. Many times they got big and hairy and scary as they were all new and raw. With the help of recovery friends and a loving sponsor, I was able to recognize new feelings, accept them, sit with them, and then take an action if necessary.
Ditto on this Cat! I work everyday at this one! I have become allot better in feeling! And guess what it feels good to own them and not be in fear all the time!

Thank you for sharing this!!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

thanks for this post, Cats!!

Yes, it is great in recovery to be able to say "I feel _________, today" and not try to mask those feelings. It is also great to know that I am no longer controlled by my emotions. That because I am feeling hurt doesn't mean that I have to hurt others, if I am feeling guilt doesn't mean I have to try to make others feel shame.

I can own my feelings without projecting them on to those closest around me. All about keeping my garden of self clean of the weeds of reacting, and self-defeating behaviors.

Feelings can be overwhelming, but this too shall pass.

Awesome post - thanks again for sharing!!

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 09-05-2007, 08:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I literally had to say aloud: what am I feeling right now? That is how removed I had become. Today it's a little easier, but I still need to ask sometimes. I had become Queen Reactor, that is for sure.