Notices

Some thoughts on anxiety

Old 09-04-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Some thoughts on anxiety

I have thought a lot about all the anxiety I have had in my life. Some of it has been down right disabling.
I wonder where all this anxiety comes from. I see people with the same problems, but they handle it in different ways. I know everyone has some of it, it's just that some of us have more than our share of it.
Could it come from knowing and seeing too much in our lives? Solomon said, "With much wisdom comes much sorrow".

I also tend to read way way way too much on things I should stay away from, like crime stories, prescription medication side affects and things like this.
Shoot, after reading everything about a med, and reading what other patients have to say about a med, I am more likely NOT to take it!
It's like I just KNOW I am going to feel all, every single, side affect!

How do you feel about where anxiety comes from?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
I have thought a lot about all the anxiety I have had in my life. Some of it has been down right disabling.
I wonder where all this anxiety comes from. I see people with the same problems, but they handle it in different ways. I know everyone has some of it, it's just that some of us have more than our share of it.
Could it come from knowing and seeing too much in our lives? Solomon said, "With much wisdom comes much sorrow".

I also tend to read way way way too much on things I should stay away from, like crime stories, prescription medication side affects and things like this.
Shoot, after reading everything about a med, and reading what other patients have to say about a med, I am more likely NOT to take it!
It's like I just KNOW I am going to feel all, every single, side affect!

How do you feel about where anxiety comes from?
Hi Wabbit. I'm a noob to this site but maybe I can shed some insight. I used to be a doctoral student in psychology (was dismissed from the program this past semester after 2 years into it), and I also have slight anxiety problems as well.

There are different types of anxieties, so I would recommend seeking a mental health professional to find out A) is your anxiety impairing your daily functioning, B) what kind of anxiety do you have (generalized, OCD, Social, etc...), C) what can you do to manage your anxiety better.

It sounds like you are drawn to things that might be fearful, like crime stories or medications. Some medications and OTC drugs, even caffeine, can exacerbate anxiety. You might have experienced this already and have incorporated a fear state in response, but that's speculative. What is commonly accepted about people with anxiety is that they're hypervigilant about their surroundings. They scan for things that might hurt them.

There are a number of remedies out there: drug medication, talk-therapy, in-vivo exposure, the "secret", etc. I would recommend seeking professional help (believe me the anxiety can come down!), or at the very least, educate yourself with literature. Anxiety is normal. It is our bodies way of preventing injury or harm. But despite having the same physiology as our cavemen ancestors living in an ultra-modern world, sometimes our anxiety is misplaced. No biggie!

Best wishes,
Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, Wascally.

Interesting topic.

I think anxiety comes from the primal side of the brain. The cavepeopleīs or reptileīs brain we are suppose to have. Somehow we donīt cope with it like other people.

I love true crime, horror movies, courtroom dramas, thrillers and stressful sports, like parachuting or para-sailing.

One of my therapists told me that some people who are anxiety prone, can be drawn to stressful situations, because we find certain comfort zone there. We are familiar with it, therefore we seek it. Many anxious people may tend to seek out stressful jobs, so I think you have something there, Afraid2.

I have also been told many times that sensitive people experience the highs and lows of daily life more strongly. If so, I like to keep my "high" where it is. I donīt want it flattened out. I donīt read the secondary effects of medication, because that would make me really anxious.

Itīs probably all about balance and peace of mind. But the struggle to find it - too much!

Once I decided to leave the city and my stressful job and start growing organic vegetable out in the country. I had a small farmhouse with my husband. All the peace and quiet made me go nuts! I couldnīt stand it more than a month, then I got ulcer from the stress of the peace.

You mention "the secret", Afraid2. Do you mean the book?

Love and light,
Old 09-05-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilya View Post
Hi, Wascally.

Interesting topic.

I think anxiety comes from the primal side of the brain. The cavepeopleīs or reptileīs brain we are suppose to have. Somehow we donīt cope with it like other people.

I love true crime, horror movies, courtroom dramas, thrillers and stressful sports, like parachuting or para-sailing.

One of my therapists told me that some people who are anxiety prone, can be drawn to stressful situations, because we find certain comfort zone there. We are familiar with it, therefore we seek it. Many anxious people may tend to seek out stressful jobs, so I think you have something there, Afraid2.

I have also been told many times that sensitive people experience the highs and lows of daily life more strongly. If so, I like to keep my "high" where it is. I donīt want it flattened out. I donīt read the secondary effects of medication, because that would make me really anxious.

Itīs probably all about balance and peace of mind. But the struggle to find it - too much!

Once I decided to leave the city and my stressful job and start growing organic vegetable out in the country. I had a small farmhouse with my husband. All the peace and quiet made me go nuts! I couldnīt stand it more than a month, then I got ulcer from the stress of the peace.

You mention "the secret", Afraid2. Do you mean the book?

Love and light,
Hi Lilya,
Yes, I was referring to the Oprah-endorsed "Secret" book and video. It's so well-known that I thought I'd might offer it as a suggestion.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think it's primarily generic, with a good dose of learned behavior. I definitely am more prone to it if my diet consists of too much sugar and caffeine.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is interesting how different people have different triggers. I take a martial arts class and I can get on the mat to spar with someone stronger and better than me knowing I'm in for a severe beating in front of the whole class and have no anxiety at all. I find it exciting. But if I had to give a 5 minute presentation at a meeting at work I'd have severe panic attacks and probably end up quitting my job over it.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Interesting, Scarlati!

I learned self-defense as well and one night, going home late, I did the silly mistake of taking a shortcut through a dangerous neighbourhood. One of the worst areas in Paris, where all the gangs meet.

A guy, high on drugs, came towards me with a stiletto knife and demanded my purse. I went towards him, totally determined to fight him. There was no anxiety in me, not one bit. I kicked him with Kung Fu and got him to release the knife. In short, I totally overcame him. His friends arrived, but I showed them my maze. I felt like I was invincible. It was an empowering moment for me.

So why wasnīt I paralysed at this moment? Many people would have been, and with a good reason. How come I feel anxiety creeping up over small things, like not being able to sleep because maybe I didnīt buy enough food for a dinner party?

How silly is that?

Love and light,
Old 09-05-2007, 08:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been neurotic all of my life, but was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder about a year ago. The anxiety was disabling. I became mildly agoraphobic, spending days at a time in my room. I couldn't hold a job. I couldn't go to school all of the time, and had to eventually confess my "weakness". I became afraid of enclosed spaces and crowded spaces, and of being alone (notice these are sort of contradictory. ha. i sort of find that funny) I even had a panic attack so extreme one day during a snow storm, because I was sure I'd die alone in the snow, that I began to feel like I was choking (I was also convinced I was allergic to everything) and I called the hospital ( a common ritual) and they called an ambulance and well....you can see my anxiety can be fairly severe.

Triggers can include tons of things, root causes are something I am not sure about. Some people think it may be genetic...I dunno. It seems to be a malfunctioning adrenal process. Your body thinks it's being attacked by a cheetah when you're just having dinner or something. heh.

After all of that rambling...my point was that a few months into my weekly hospital visits it was the opinion of my doc that i was extremely aware of my body processes to a point that most people aren't/don't notice things, and that i was using this hypersensitivity to feed an already neurotic disposition, adding to the panic.i still didn't believe her, but slowly began to consider it, and now i can mostly control my anxiety by trying to think of it in terms of feeling the life coursing through me instead of feeling something going wrong/life leaving me. this only works in the beginning, though. once it's a full blown or almost full blown attack sometimes just calling someone helps a little.

some tips i've been given:

no caffeine
no energy drinks
no drugs/alcohol
no smoking! (smoking initially calmed me down, but was a huge trigger later. i quit after that)
try to get good excercise
try to sleep
try meditation/psychologist/yoga (i tried none. was poor and agoraphobic. and i guess too lazy for meditation when alcohol was sitting there)
when in panic breath in through nose, out through mouth/ in through one nostril, out other
massage hands (gives you physical grounding/distracts)

One thing I started doing was eating lollipops compulsively, as it gave me a physical ground, and was satisfying to senses- and smoking was a no no.

Oh. I also found having a cellphone eases my mind greatly. I have it always. I will walka mile and walk back for it. I know it's strange, but it helps.

Also I started going to uncrowded mid day movie showings. Dark, distracting, not alone but not crowded...pretty good to ease the mind for a little bit. This works more if I'm just having an anxiety day...feeling it on the edges, but nothing extreme.

I was prescribed Paxil, but quit it after about a week because it magnified my anxiety in the beginning and I couldn't live through the initial icky part.

I still have attacks sometimes. Seems more often lately. Today I had to leave work a little early when it started getting pretty severe. I also have classes with about 200 people now which are a big trigger for me. I hope some of that was helpful.

Last edited by sunkensky; 09-05-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: forgot to add....
Old 09-05-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunkensky View Post
I have been neurotic all of my life, but was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder about a year ago. The anxiety was disabling. I became mildly agoraphobic, spending days at a time in my room. I couldn't hold a job. I couldn't go to school all of the time, and had to eventually confess my "weakness". I became afraid of enclosed spaces and crowded spaces, and of being alone (notice these are sort of contradictory. ha. i sort of find that funny) I even had a panic attack so extreme one day during a snow storm, because I was sure I'd die alone in the snow, that I began to feel like I was choking (I was also convinced I was allergic to everything) and I called the hospital ( a common ritual) and they called an ambulance and well....you can see my anxiety can be fairly severe.

Triggers can include tons of things, root causes are something I am not sure about. Some people think it may be genetic...I dunno. It seems to be a malfunctioning adrenal process. Your body thinks it's being attacked by a cheetah when you're just having dinner or something. heh.

After all of that rambling...my point was that a few months into my weekly hospital visits it was the opinion of my doc that i was extremely aware of my body processes to a point that most people aren't/don't notice things, and that i was using this hypersensitivity to feed an already neurotic disposition, adding to the panic.i still didn't believe her, but slowly began to consider it, and now i can mostly control my anxiety by trying to think of it in terms of feeling the life coursing through me instead of feeling something going wrong/life leaving me. this only works in the beginning, though. once it's a full blown or almost full blown attack sometimes just calling someone helps a little.

some tips i've been given:

no caffeine
no drugs/alcohol
when in panic breath in through nose, out through mouth
massage hands (gives you physical grounding/distracts)

I was prescribed Paxil, but quit it after about a week because it magnified my anxiety in the beginning and I couldn't live through the initial icky part.

I still have attacks sometimes. Seems more often lately. Today I had to leave work a little early when it started getting pretty severe. I also have classes with about 200 people now which are a big trigger for me. I hope some of that was helpful.
Hey Sunken,
Thanks for sharing your story, there are some similarities between our lives. I once too tried Paxil, and quit right away because in the beg my anxiety was heightened. Talk about ineffective! After that I tried Pexeva, which is a generic form of Paxil, and lacks the agent that causes some to become more anxious. Ask your doc if this is a good choice for you.

The diaphragmatic breathing is a great technique for those with panic attacks. Some people forget to breathe even, so breathing from the stomach can have wonderful effects.

The panic attacks are a vicious cycle because some people have attacks worrying about an attack. The body becomes aroused to such an extent that there is no turning back. If one could break that cycle, then the attacks would lessen or disappear. For me, I occasionally take a beta-blocker which prevents my heart from racing, thus decreasing anxiety by a lot. Granted, I've never had a panic attack, but that stuff really works.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've heard a lot of people have a bad time with Paxil. I hated it and it sort of put me off to further pills. If the anxiety starts getting bad to the extent it was again, then maybe I'll reconsider... as of now I'll pet my ego by trying to "tough it out". :P
Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Iīve been thinking about all this anxiety and where it comes from and I think itīs closely related to being addicted to stress. I could be totally wrong here, but itīs just a theory.

In my case, I think Iīm addicted to stress. You may well laugh, Wascally, at me being in the country getting ulcer from the peace. Itīs really silly and the doctor thought so too. I can still see him shaking his head.

Sometimes, when Iīm in a foreign country, I still do silly things, like going out alone at night. Did that in Bangkok, strolled around the city at 2 AM. I couldnīt stop myself. Did it in Turkey as well last July. My therapist says itīs because sobriety has left some gaps I try to fill with behaviour that gives a quick fix, like exposing myself to danger.

I really want to stop that. Iīm going to the States in two weeks and taking the kid with me. It should be save, because I never do anything to endanger her, thank God.

Mike, you mentioned learned behaviour. My fear of mice comes from being with my mother in a basement where there were rats. I learned her fear immediately.

I wonder, could we be fuelling our anxiety with this addiction to danger?

Love and light,
Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I saw the light at the end of the Paxil tunnel..............

IT WAS A TRAIN!!!!

I jumped the tracks while the gettin was good......

I was fortunate enough to get off paxil early.

Good thing.

Didnt find out about the bad withdrawals till long after......

Never experienced the quit.

Glad I did.......

Practiced CBT before I got off Paxil............

Man................so glad I did............

Hearing now years later about the shocking, waking sleep, etc, withdrawals.........
]
Whew............

Bad enuf going thru alcohol withdrawal.........
Old 09-10-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I ahve anxiety when what boils down to anything that is happening or could happen that I am powerless over.

Funny thing is way before we knew I had anxiety issues we noticed how I could handle big things, like serious car accident mine or family members, final break up ect, but the litle things I couldnt, not even a little. The smallest thing could ahve me home sick from work a week (and yes Id get physically sick from my inability to relax.)

So basically if I can figure out how to control or take control of something Im okay, but at times its been as bad as panic being alone for 5 minutes, if a roomate left a boyfriend walked out of the room, a cat growled anything.

I picked a high stress job I could take control of, single mom and lived in illusion of control, I self medicated to sleep at night, self medicated to not sleep during the day, panicked, yelled screamed and fought my way through life. It wasnt until this effected my health with severe migraines and bad eating habits taht I learned what the deal was. Today Im learning I cant control must of what happens around me,and thats okay, but I owe my ability to now function to counseling alanon and a SSRI
Old 09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cindarella, Iīm there with you.

Iīm having a bad attack right now, feels like a heart attack. Please help.

Iīm trying to get out of a bad partnership deal and the guy wonīt let me. I am taking action, talked to my lawyer this morning and he is tough... real tough.

Itīs a simple case, itīs just the tension is too big for me too handle right now, with the new house, the trip to the States, the responsabilities of my kids, new deals and meetings with new people Iīm working with. And to top it, a big dinner party I promised to throw tomorrow night. It worries me sick! I feel I cannot talk to the baker tomorrow and order cakes.

Iīve been in car wrecks, earthquakes and been attacked many times in Africa and Bosnia. I fought back without blinking an eye and have always been cool about it all. I cannot deal with the stress of dissolving this partnership. Itīs nothing compared to a gang in Bosnia rushing at you. I really feel silly.

I called my therapist, did some breathing exercises, took 0.50 mg of Rivotril (I think itīs Klonopin) went for a walk, translated something and talked to a friend. I am to see my therapist tomorrow. It feels more manageble.

God itīs good to know of this board and to know youīre there for me.

Love and light,

Iīm also a single mother with a high power job.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im sorry I was not on when you posted Lilya. Remember to breathe and start by making a list of tasks at hand and how to tackle them.

Know theres a great big hug from half way around the world coming your way
Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Im panicky now too. No issues, just panicky.

sigh
Old 09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks both of you, Intro and Cindarella.

Iīm feeling a bit better now. This feeling I get when I feel like I have a heart attack is in fact a tense muscle within the ribs. I put somethin hot on it and then I went to a late AA meeting in my area. I spoke and felt I was helping two teenage girls who were in a bad way. The twelve step always works, no matter what.

Back to the feelings of anxiety and not being able to deal with small things, but able to deal with big things. Someone told me once I was like that, and I took offense. However, I realize now it is true and I need to deal with it.

Whenever I live through some disaster or a serious threat, a strange calmness comes over me. I think with clarity and I feel at peace. I think: "This is how it ends, and I accept it." When I get out of the situation, I give thanks to my Higher Power, then go about doing my things.

Iīm sorry youīre panicky, Intro. And Iīm sick of this anxiety too! LOL.
Thanks for the hug, Cindarella. I needed one. Here is one right back to you.

Maybe I should have become a fighter pilot. Once when I took a test for what career I would be best at, I scored highest on an army career... as a fighter pilot!

Love and light,
Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Strange that this seems to be common with most of us here...being able to deal with big things, but not little ones. Maybe this is a way of coping. We reserve our anxiety for when there's time to actually deal with it??
Old 09-11-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Sunkensky.

I wrote about my session with my therapist in my thread "Feeling anxious". Maybe itīs all about control. Thatīs what she said.

Iīm so tired after the anxiety attack and getting through the day, so I just pop in for a quick hello.

Love and light,
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Popping over there for a peek...