Notices

Went to 1st NA meeting tonite!

Old 09-04-2007, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to 1st NA meeting tonite!

Hi guys,
I've been reading this website intensely for the past couple days now, and finally the powers that be in SR finally granted me permission to post, woot!

In any event, today I went to my first NA meeting. I was apprehensive about the whole thing, but it turned out alright. I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't try to share, but maybe tomorrow I'll push myself. The room was packed with people standing outside the room, but a member gave me his seat. It was warm, I was sweating, and I was a tad uncomfortable. But I'll be back tomorrow.

Question for you guys: My DOC was marijuana. Do you think I would fit better in NA or AA? I know they treat the same thing - addiction - but since the drug culture is different than the alcohol in some ways, would it make a difference which meeting I attend? Also, do NA members look down on potheads because pot is considered less addictive?

And, is it normal for someone to attend their first NA meeting and want desperately to use again? I'm like so close to hitting the resin on my bowl (which I shouldve thrown out yesterday when I was more resolute). My illogical thinking is, because I just got sober, whats wrong with pushing my recovery back one day. Sigh! Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated.

BTW, I'd like to offer my condolences to the friends and families of greeneyes and castichrist (sp?). Their stories really hit home for me.

THanks,
Dave
Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I am glad everything went well at your first meeting. Please don't be to hard on yourself for not sharing....I couldn't get anything other than "My name is Cathy and I am an Alcoholic" out for a few weeks, then one day, I started talking (I felt as if I were speaking another language...even asked if anyone understood a word I was saying!!) and could stop, can't remember one word I said to this day!! Everyone seemed to understand though..LOL. After that, it became easier to share...now....well, I never shut up!!!!
As for what meeting you should attend, that is a question only you can answer. It is where ever you feel most comfortable. I hate to say this, but some old timers in AA might try to make you feel like you are in the wrong place...but you are right...it is all the same...Alcohol IS a drug!!!!

Good Luck...Cathy
Old 09-04-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
I am glad everything went well at your first meeting. Please don't be to hard on yourself for not sharing....I couldn't get anything other than "My name is Cathy and I am an Alcoholic" out for a few weeks, then one day, I started talking (I felt as if I were speaking another language...even asked if anyone understood a word I was saying!!) and could stop, can't remember one word I said to this day!! Everyone seemed to understand though..LOL. After that, it became easier to share...now....well, I never shut up!!!!
As for what meeting you should attend, that is a question only you can answer. It is where ever you feel most comfortable. I hate to say this, but some old timers in AA might try to make you feel like you are in the wrong place...but you are right...it is all the same...Alcohol IS a drug!!!!

Good Luck...Cathy
Hi Cathy,
Thanks for your support and validating my first time experience. It's comforting to know other people like you had a similar experience. Eventually I will muster the courage to speak, hopefully coherently , but even if I speak a different language that is progress in my book! I firmly believe I will only gain what I put into the program.

Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, dave. i go to open aa meetings and there are folks there in recovery from all types of addiction - alcohol, drugs, gambling, food, etc.

just keep going, and my guess is you'll find the right groups.

keep posting! k
Old 09-05-2007, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Congrats on getting to your first meeting. I've been to both NA and AA, although my main focus is AA since I'm an alcoholic. My 44 year old pot-addicted daughter just celebrated 10 years in NA. My 51 year old heroin-addicted son is seven months clean and attends both NA and AA.

It is where ever you feel most comfortable. I hate to say this, but some old timers in AA might try to make you feel like you are in the wrong place...but you are right...it is all the same...Alcohol IS a drug!!!!
After 27 years of AA sobriety, I'm afraid this is still the case at some meetings...it all depends on the "group conscience". I don't know what it's like in Pennsy, and it is getting better in Jersey, but there are still those die-hard AA's who tend to look down on "addicts"...sad to say.

As parentrecovers suggests, you can feel completely at ease at open meetings.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

In my area there are several drug addicts that got and stayed sober/clean in AA.

They say that they just feel more comfortable and stable in AA.

I am an alcoholic but have attended NA meetings and felt comfortable there and learned something. The feelings are the same. The guilt, remorse, the loss of control. I can relate very well to one who is addicted to drugs and I can identify with them.

So it's up to you.

I wish you well,

Ted
Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Nonny and Groucho for your input and support. Also thanks for being honest about the mentality of some old-timers in AA.

I'll be attending another NA meeting tonight in Philly. It should be interesting, and I will try my best to share my story tonight.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

There's a 12 step program especially for potheads. Check out Marijuana Anonymous. They have a website. If there isn't a meeting in your area there are online meetings. There is also a brochure you can download that describes withdrawal symptoms. Good luck to you.