Notices

Is there anything else I can do to feel better?

Old 09-02-2007, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Unhappy Is there anything else I can do to feel better?

Hi All, thanks for having me.

I've been sober for 9 months.

I've suffered from depression for several years, and I'm starting to go downhill like I always do at this time of year. I'm going to be in for about 5 months of very severe depression.

I've always used unhealthy things to cope with depression - mainly drinking and eating. Now that I've decided not to do those things, I'm left feeling a bit hopeless and wondering what to do in particularly bad moments.

Is there anything I can do to get through the bad times, or will I always want to turn to drink?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Odaat.. I'm 30 days sober today so you have much more experience than I do on the road to recovery.. but somethings that have helped me deal with some of the depression that comes along with this journey is hobbies. I have been doing a lot of things to occupy my time and that make me happy. I'm not necessarily a creative person but I have found that having hobbies that allow you to accomplish something helps me a lot. For example, reading a book front to back, playing a video game and completing it, doing some artwork, learning a new instrument etc.. Keeps my mind off of things in my life that aren't so grand and makes me feel good about myself. Do you have any hobbies that you really enjoy doing that may give you a sense of accomplishment? Seems to help me.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I keep trying to distract myself, but due to the depression I don't really enjoy anything any more. Most of the time I end up cleaning, at least that way I'm miserable in a clean house instead of miserable in a dirty house. I shall keep trying to get in to books/games/movies. Hopefully it'll catch one day.

Well done on 30 days sober
Old 09-02-2007, 11:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Odaat, I also wonder if you've talked to your dr and tried medication? I used to think I just wasn't trying hard enough to get myself up, and it turned out I need to be on meds.

I think exercising or doing anything physical is always good for the well-being. I hope you feel better.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What are some things you like to do?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Odaat, I also wonder if you've talked to your dr and tried medication?
I agree with 51anna. I got on meds 6 months ago and it really helped.. i mean REALLY helped. I felt like a new man. I didn't even feel like I was taking any drugs, just felt happier, calmer and more bearable according to my wife.

Definitely talk to a Doc. That's what they are there for. They can always help you out..
Old 09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I've been on my current antidepressants for 11 months, and have tried other medications several times before. I've yet to find one that works at all, so I've been refered to a psyciatrist. I'm hoping to be refered to therapy at some point, but in England there are very long waiting lists and hardly any support for mental health problems. Basically I'm getting all the help that is on offer.

To be honest I don't really enjoy anything. I just try and get through each day. I used to read a lot, and I used to play a lot of video games. All I do these days is lie on the sofa and watch TV. I just count down the hours till its bedtime so I can sleep.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

odaat.. I'm sorry to hear that. Hang in there. I just got back into video games and I am having a great time. Try picking it up again?
Old 09-02-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hugs odaat ...

Action! For me that means a committment to AA

Well Done on your sober time!