Notices

My Wake Up Call

Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Wake Up Call

Hi My name is Dave and this is my story;

My father was an alcoholic and I witnessed what it could do both to an individual and their family. I will never go to that place, or so I thought........

I started drinking when I joined the Military in 97, before this point I was not much of a drinker really. The military in the UK has a very definate drinking culture and you can feel quite left out if you don't join in.

Fast forward to Sunday the 19th of August 2007. I woke in the morning pretty early after drinking until 4.00 am. I initially felt fine and went out to pick up some breakfast. On my return I felt very unwell. I had a scan of my liver a few weeks earlier and I was told I had some fatty infiltration so my initial thoughts were that it had got worse.

I had to visit several clinics in my area as it was a weekend before I was finally refered to hospital where I was admitted.

I had a number of tests, x-rays and blood work done before the consultant doctor came to see me. I was honest with him about my drinking problem but his news was not good.

My liver was in a bad way, severly inflamed and enlarged, my function tests were sky high.

The doctor felt something else like a virus was contirbuting to the problem but told me my drinking had to stop.

If I did not stop I would have 5 years maximum, I am 27.

So after almost 2 weeks in hospital I am still sober and coping ok but here for some support really.

Dave
Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sobriety Dave. Im still working on today. Good Luck to you buddy.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

you came to the right place..there is lots of info, lots of good, wise people, who've been through the same situations..I've heard of other people in the forum with liver problems, i am sure they will bring some light about that tough issue..

You have made a great choice, by choosing your life over alcohol.It won't be easy, but you sure can do it...We'll all be here when you need support..

keep posting..Welcome....
Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys,

I should add I am now at home again. My liver is recovering and I have to go to my doctor once a week for liver function tests to see how it is doing. The doctor is hopeful it will be fine as long as I give up alcohol. It won't be the best functioning liver but it will work and I wont need any long term drugs or a transplant thankfully.

Dave
Old 08-31-2007, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome Dave!

The only way I found to keep myself sober was AA.
I strongly suggest you find a local meeting and begin your recovery.

Forward we go ...side by side
Old 08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Glad you're alive and well, and posting here. Welcome, Dave.

I remember having similar symptoms. I'd quit drinking until they went away, then I'd drink again until the pain started. Kept that up for years, I'm lucky to be alive.

What will you do to insure your sobriety? AA worked well for me, I hope you have some plans for your recovery.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

At the moment I am seeing an Alcohol councellor but I want to go to an AA meeting. The thing is I cannot get my head around how the open or closed meeting thing works? Is this exclusive to the UK?

My partner also bought me some alcohol free beer so I don't feel left out when we have friends over etc, not sure how good an idea it is though????
Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Any alcoholic should be welcome at a closed meeting, only non-alcoholics are asked not to attend. Open meetings are exactly that, open to everyone. We have both in the US also.

As for the NA beer, search the forums here for that subject and I think you'll see that most of us would suggest you stay away from it. Most NA beers still contain a trace of alcohol, it's been my experience that it just leads me back to the real stuff.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi SS,

Welcome and congrats on your two weeks sober! It's good that you are going to an addiction counselor, and as for AA I wouldn't be six months sober without it! I love the program, I hope that you go to a meeting.

Big hugs,

Karen
Old 08-31-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome!

Glad you have this second chance. Just had some liver enzyme tests done myself, on Wednesday and I'm hoping to God that they come home normal. If they don't, then at least I'm on my way to making things a bit better, too.

I know you'll find so much support here.

Looking forward to more posts!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi Soberscot - and welcome!

thank you for your story.
the whole death sentence thing ought to be enough, but with us alcholics ... it never is. I'm sure you can find a meeting near you ... it's right in the frnt of the phone book. I'm so GLAD to hear you're serious, though. Good for you.

Wake up call is right.

We're here to lend support as well.
welcome!
Old 09-01-2007, 02:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ps -

when I tended bar, 100% of the people who drank near beer while they were trying to be 'off' alcohol - went back to drinking.
Every.
Single.
One.

Just my two cents.

Why hang on to the thing that's trying to kill you?
It's time to put the things of an adolescent down ... and find out what it is you 'reall'y came here for. It's not as scary as it sounds.

It's actually ... pretty dang wonderful.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by barb dwyer View Post
ps -

when I tended bar, 100% of the people who drank near beer while they were trying to be 'off' alcohol - went back to drinking.
Every.
Single.
One.

Just my two cents.

Why hang on to the thing that's trying to kill you?
It's time to put the things of an adolescent down ... and find out what it is you 'reall'y came here for. It's not as scary as it sounds.

It's actually ... pretty dang wonderful.
Thanks, I was guessing that would be the responces to the "near" Beer and you guys are all correct.

I really appreciate the welcome and I will be posting as and when I can and also when I might need some support.

Thank you, thank you
Old 09-01-2007, 04:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

we're all in this together, hon.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

Sorry you had to have such a wakeup call but at 27, you have so much life ahead.

Glad you are here,
Jhana
Old 09-01-2007, 05:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Dave,
Mike from Boston here. Welcome to a great site with lots of wisdom. I've been sober 11 1/2 years now and rely on this place daily. I also attend AA, but this is a great supplement. Keep posting and get to that meeting! At 27 you've got a lot of living to do. I didn't wise up until I was 36, but I am so glad I did. Good to see your posts and I look forward to reading more.
Mike
Old 09-01-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
simplysober

Hi Dave and welcome to this wonderful group of new friends!
I am on day #6 of being a non drinker-You can do this, you have support here whenever you need it!
nice to meet you

hugs
maria
Old 09-01-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Dave!

Its good to have some more UK people here.

I can recommend AA too btw, I used to recoil when people mentioned AA but they got me in the end
LOL