Drug testing?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug testing?

I was wondering if anyone had knowlegde or experience of home drug tests.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No experience but plenty of knowledge.....there are always ways to get around them, easy ways unless you plan on standing by the toilet while they go and still they can take stuff to clean their systems long enough to pass a drug test.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've used them. They do work, if you catch them in the timeframe for whatever drug they are using. Pot stays for 30+ days, cocaine 3-5 depending on type. As said above, most know how to get around them.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

Yep. One of my lowest points was sleeping with the urine sample because the last one "disappeared" before I could get it tested.

Daughter told me that many kids at her outpatient passed the weekly, random urine analysis (UA) by diluting them, by adulterating them with a substance, by hiding a sample of "clean" urine and getting it into the sample jar, and other means.

Some of these she did at home.

I got tired of trying to detect the drug in her system, when it was not the DRUG I objected to... but her BEHAVIOR when she used.

Instead of setting boundaries around a drug test that was fallible, I started setting boundaries around her BEHAVIOR that I could readily see.

We had rules about - no sleeping during the day while living in my home. No staying out beyond 10 p.m. while living in our home. No phone calls after 10 p.m. while living in our home. No kids/folks we didn't know IN our home - ever. No raging. Must keep body/room clean and pick up after herself.

While sober, she could keep to these rules/boundaries. When using - she fought every one of them.

When Mr. Big and I were finally ready... we told her she could no longer live in our home.

She was 17. She had never held a job. She had no money. She wasn't going to school. She had no car.

That was one of the hardest things we ever did.

I wish you the best. (((Hugs)))
Old 08-31-2007, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So, you buy them and then send them off to a lab? I am assuming this is expensive and nail biting waiting for the results.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mavis,

Hi, I just used a store bought kit and can say it did work. I got mine at wal-mart for 20.00. Only 5 minutes until the results. The kit has 2 tests in it. It tested for 4 different types of drugs, Meth for sure, Cocaine also and I can't remember the other 2. Meth is the one I was looking for. It states it is 99.90 percent accurate.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can buy drug tests at WAL-MART???

Who would have thought? Thanks Mac, I appreciate that.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I bought some a few yrs. back through the internet. They were only about $10 U.S. each.
You don't need to send it anywhere, the results show up on the strip. You can get a 5 panel or 7 panel to test for 5 - 7 diff. drugs. When I used them, sober was a condition for my son to be at home so I went into the bathrm. with him and witnessed him pee into the cup then you dip the strip in the pee. it is reliable and very cut and dry. After the 1st bad result when I whipped the 2nd one the next time,my son said don't waste the test bec. It won't come up clean. Sadly, I had to have him move out.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

There are several kinds. There are cheap kinds that can just test for one or two kinds of drugs. They are strips dipped in urine.

There are kinds you can get at any pharmacy, that cost between 20-40 and can test for a wide variety of stuff. They can come up negative or preliminary positive. Preliminary positive means it is most likely positve and you can send the urine in to be tested. They will send the results back and tell you exactly what type of drug was found.

That said, there are a million ways to get around drug testing and even when the tests came back positive for my husband,he denied using and so on. They are a real waste of money for me to prove what I already know or else I wouldn't feel the need to test him.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with Meggie, a waste of money. Trust your gut. It doesn't lie like the addict does. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My experience is a little different because my RAH asked for them to be put into place - not me. It helped him to be accountable. We got the tests off the internet - the ones that we used are 5 panel tests w/immediate results. We got 25 for $125.00. It helped him to know that he was on random drug testing for the first year. After that, we really have had no need for them but it sure is nice to know that they are in the closet if need be. He told me all the different ways that he knew to get around them and set up the parameters - tell him, immediately go pee, and watch him pee. The end. Otherwise, he said he knew how to get around them. I also think that he was ready to attempt sobriety - the tests helped him vs. helping me. I believe the gut!

Donna
Old 08-31-2007, 04:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I too, agree with Meggie. It would be a waste of money because my super sensitive drug sences can spot them a mile away. Why would I spend money on something I already knew?
I was inquiring because like Donna, my AH has offered to take them when ever I asked him to. He is truly wanting my son and I to move home and he had mentioned the drug testing. Maybe he is like your husband, wanting to get clean and aware that the strips could be pulled out of the closet at any time.
Any way, the drug testing was a thought. I am still waiting for time to tell, and I am very appreciative of all of your imputs on the things.
WAL-MART?
Geesh!

LOL