mental health and addiction?

Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question mental health and addiction?

If an addict or abuser is suffering from depression and anxiety do you think being on meds will help the addiction part? My AH and I have been together for 10 years. 2 years ago things started getting bad, lies, going out, him driving around for hours at a time...coming home feeling sorry for himself, depressed. It has, of course ,gotten progressively worse, to the point where i am thinking almost daily that I should kick him out. HIs lies are getting very bad, going to work is a problem for him in the last 2months. He told me last night that he feels like he is losing his mind, he can't deal with everyday stresses. I suggested going back to the doctor to get different or more meds. He is on an anti-depressent but a very small dose. In the spring he kinda lost it and was put on these meds and they seemed to help for about 3 months but then he went back to his old ways again. anyways...back to my question, does anyone know if being treated with anti- depressents has helped other addicts?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good question.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

it may help your husband emotionally but the only thing that will help his addiction is for him to want to help it. that is by putting a progam in his life & working it.maybe therapy would help him also. he needs to go back to his dr. & talk to him about it.prayers,