Notices

I'm Back

Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm Back

Literally AND figuratively...

I'm so glad I had you all to come back to!!!! It was a long week; I didn't make it completely sober, but I didn't get totally out of control, either. I did A LOT of soulsearching, which was good. The journaling idea didn't work out too well, unfortunately, because I coudn't much time uninterrupted time to myself.

Newest news though...

I actually drove to a meeting yesterday, well I drove... got to the listed address, found the building, but not the meeting! It was in a business campus and I saw every suite number on the exterior doors but the one I needed. I called the local AA office to ask if they knew what was up and they suggested I ask someone, because they had the same information I had. I really don't want to go into an unknown office and ask the receptionist if she knows where the AA meetings are held. The suites there were basically all corporate offices with NOTHING to do with recovery related services.

In retrospect: I'm mad about not finding the meeting, but I'm glad I followed through and actually made every effore to go. I was a nervous wreck and almost didn't even go. Yay me! (Pats self on back)

I was really hoping this one would work out since it was the only one I could find either early or mid-day. I simply can't work evening meetings in with my kids' schedules.

ANYWAY -- I am back and trying again. Guess I'll just keep reading and posting here, since a lot of you seem to be doing quite well (a blessing!) with all the SoberRecovery support.

I missed you!!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

welcome back
Old 08-28-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome Back New Leaf! Glad to see you are making the attempts! That is a plus in my book
Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back New Leaf!

The main thing is that you keep on trying and do not give up, ever!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to see you back Newleaf...

Looking forward to more of your posts...
Old 08-28-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

missed you too newleaf
was wondering how you were...good to see you back...

D
Old 08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you're back and glad you're moving forward too!You were missed!

Jules xox
Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back Newleaf!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back, New Leaf. I'm proud of you for making the attempt to hit a meeting. I hope you manage to get to another one, soon.

Rowan
Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
outtahere

Glad your back NL
Old 08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back NewLeaf. I'm glad your here with us.

Barb
Old 08-29-2007, 03:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome home NL.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi New Leaf, and welcome back. I am glad to see you here and hope you will be a regular!

Jhana
Old 08-29-2007, 04:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am pleased you came back too New Leaf.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

NL.. back...

many do not make it back... sobriety and recovery is doable.. all one has do do is do it, if one wants it!

xxoo, blessings and recovery...

rz
Old 08-29-2007, 05:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

newleaf call the AA folks back and see if they can hook you up with someone to show you where the meeting is. Do not give up, sobriety is something we work on for the rest of our lifes if we want to get and stay sober.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok everybody. THANK YOU for your welcomes! It's really GREAT to know that I can come here when I can -- or when I need to get a sanity check.

I'm not able to be on for too many extended periods during most days, but I peek in between running everybody around.

Yesterday I was having a real craving, especially while in the kitchen while discussing the day's events, upcoming schedules with kids, etc. My husband's martini looked great. BUT -- I thought of all of you. And I immediately went over to our "liquor cabinet" and got out MY big bottle of diet tonic water, cut up a lime, and poured myself a cold one. A big, sparkling, fizzy and refreshing NON-alcoholic drink!

I did go to the doc's today for a physical, and bloodwork was done. I told her about the drinking and that I was trying not to anymore. I'm a little anxious about getting the results of the liver enzyme test. I pray it comes back normal...

As far as meetings go, I don't want to give up on looking for that place. When the kids are back in school I'll drive over there again. The AA person I spoke to made it pretty clear that she didn't have any other information other than what I had, and she even asked others in the office if they knew anything else. I asked her if there was anyone else I could call, if she knew who ran the meetings, etc. She didn't know and like I said before, suggested I ask somebody there at the campus. But, YIKES!!!! I'm nervous enough about simply going to a meeting, without blowing my cover! lol

I'm trying to focus on the blessings in my life and the concurrent fact that if I want to enjoy them -- I MUST change.

Day 3 sober and counting.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi NL,

Thanks for checking in, and for getting through the craving. The non-alcoholic drink you had sounds refreshing! There are so many good drinks out there that don't have alcohol in them.

Is there only the one meeting where you live? It's good you called the AA office again and asked about the location. I hope you are able to find it - because I understand what you mean about not wanting to walk up to some stranger and ask where the AA meeting is! In early sobriety, I was SURE everyone knew why I was going to these church basements so often - truth is, no one noticed or even cared!

I'm proud of you for being honest with your doctor. You're doing all the right things, and you deserve a pat on the back. Recovery is hard work!

Hope to see more of you soon

Rowan
Old 08-29-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Is there only the one meeting where you live? It's good you called the AA office again and asked about the location. I hope you are able to find it - because I understand what you mean about not wanting to walk up to some stranger and ask where the AA meeting is! In early sobriety, I was SURE everyone knew why I was going to these church basements so often - truth is, no one noticed or even cared!

I'm proud of you for being honest with your doctor. You're doing all the right things, and you deserve a pat on the back. Recovery is hard work!
That particular time would be best for me since it's during the daytime hours -- first, BEFORE the craving so as to motivate and when I'm not doing the mom = taxi thing every evening of the week. I may canvas the joint, so to speak, for a few days to see if people regularly go into one door just before 10AM.

About the Dr. -- she kind of looked at me strangely when I told her. Then she started asking me about past habits like my smoking, which I stopped about 15 years ago. She was "inconspiculously" blocking whatever she was writing, which was struck me funny. I know all about HIPAA, but I'm the patient for heaven's sake! Anyway -- I just hope all my results come back well within normal limits so I can start fresh, with a (somewhat) clean slate.

Right now I'm waiting for my oldest to get in before curfew (midnight). I'm pretty shot, though, so I know that tomorrow will be a challenge. Ang talked about triggers earlier, and being tired is a huge one for me. Glad I know this so I can ward it off. You can bet I'll be back when the cravings hit.

Only ten minutes to go and he'd better walk in soon!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
outtahere

Always best to choose healthy alternatives to alcohol!