Notices

Wanting a drink really bad!

Old 08-28-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wanting a drink really bad!

I am 74 days sober today and over the last 3 days my cravings have tremendously intensified. I was going to the store but made myself get online to try and find a meeting first. I have been attending meeting but the are at 8 pm in my area and these cravings are coming in the daytime. I find myself wondering if I could just buy a small bottle of vodka and when it runs out then I would buy no more but I know that is not possible. I will continue to go buy more just like I did before. I have started crafting projects, household projects and now surfing the web to try and stay busy and keep my mind off of taking a drink. I am very grateful I found this site! Thanks for listening!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Good to hear you're taking action and resisting the urge! Cravings usually pass in less than 7 minutes, so keep up what you're doing and stay busy. In time it gets much easier. Nice to meet you!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Tina - I'm glad you found us, too!

Congratulations on your sober time. It sounds like you're doing the right things.
Cravings can be traumatic - it feels like our bodies are screaming for a drink. Like Astro said, try to remember that they don't last very long, and you'll get through it.
I hope you keep posting and reading - others will be along to welcome you shortly.
BTW I love your sig line.
Keep coming back!

Rowan
Old 08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tina,

Welcome!

This is a great place to come when you're dealing with cravings. There is plenty of inspiration here, so take a look around and make yourself comfortable.

Good for you in recognizing the addict voice in your head telling you that you could buy a small bottle and then stop at that point. I used to fall for that and of course, it never worked out that way!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep reaching out, tina - we're listening..

hugs and support out, k
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Tina,

Welcome to SR,

Hang in there, it will get easier...

Keep posting, glad you found us...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI Tina G! Congratulations on 74 days!!! I can't wait to be able to say I am that far. There are lots of people here to offer support. I'm glad you're here!
Old 08-28-2007, 01:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hi, and welcome to SR! I call this my 24/7 meeting!

I'm not the woman I WANT to be,
And not the woman I OUGHT to be,
But by the Grace of GOD----
I'm not the woman I USED to be!
I had forgotten that reading...thank you for reminding me.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Tina! 74 days is awesome! Dont blow it!
Old 08-28-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
outtahere

Hi Tina and welcome here

I hope you don't blow your sober time. Try thinking of alcohol as your worst enemy you have to fight off every day. Your keeping your mind off of it and on something else is a pretty good way to fight it off. You can win the fight just don't give up.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tina, it's easy to share when you're feeling confident and good about things, but it takes courage to admit when you feel weak and like caving - to me, it's an excellent sign that you were able to do that. I have stayed sober over 2 wks. because of the words I've read on here, and I can't say for sure what I would have done if I couldn't have come here in the wee hours. There is so much great stuff to read on here, I've barely scratched the surface, but I'm going to keep at it every chance I get until I read every word. These people have been my saviors. Sending love and hope to you.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

Tina! i applaud you for being honest about you're cravings. if somebody seriously wanted to relapse they would do it without being rigorously honest and asking for help first. thank you very much for reaching out because it helps us, too. i think we can all indentify with cravings. a common phrase in AA (this too shall pass) is TRUE. it passes...usually by reaching out as you have just done. we are here for you and i thank you for being here for me...as i cant stay sober without you!