Notices

Struggling

Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

I really want to drink right now, I keep trying to think what it would be like if I did, my mind isn't really working though. I keep thinking I could buy just enough to feel happy again, then I think well if I do that and it's ok how long will it before I have another drink to just feel happy again and when will this ever end. I am not even that sad I just feel nothing, neither happy or sad. The thought of not going to buy a drink makes me want to cry, but I don't really know what the point of having a drink is either.

I am so confussed right now I don't know what to do

Sax
Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Cravings pass in approx. 5-7 minutes, I was able to ride them out from one to the next. Are you going to AA meetings? At 2 1/2 years sober I still try to make one every day, the program and spirituality insures my sobriety.

I'm sorry to hear you're hurting, and hope that it will pass.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Saxony,

You're right that it won't fix anything and of course, for us addicts, there is never enough. So often, I would think that I'd just buy enough for a few drinks and then end up going back to the store again.

The cravings will pass and you'll feel better. Try to go outside and do something physical or listen to some music. Keep reading around here too and you'll be inspired.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Why not make a list of what alcohol did to you?
Not here but on paper so you really take a good look.

That helped me immensley to keep in focus.

Action also works well...a walk ...dance around the room
a Bbubble bath....clean house

I do hope you continue to heal
Blessings
Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you shared that you are struggling - and that you didn't drink.

You're right - it won't fix anything. You've come so far. Astro's right - the craving passes in a few minutes. I know how strong they are, though!

Try to do something - anything - to get through it.

Keep reaching out, Saxony. We understand what it's like.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sax,

In early recovery I experienced strong cravings to the point I cried a few times...Your feelings are raw with pain. Your brain is accustomed to feeling numb...

Hang in there. It does get easier...

Thinking of you...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...1&d=1188316664
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1Dove.jpg (1.9 KB, 41 views)
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

That big sign seen at many meetings: THINK is there for a reason. It's meant to remind us to "Think the drink through". No one is ever "struck drunk"...you have to put a lot of effort/action into it: get dressed, go to the car, go to the store, pick up the booze, drive back home, open the cans/bottle (maybe pour it), lift it to the lips, suck it down...and, then sets in the guilt and remorse!

Is it really worth it? THINK!!!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is how our minds work I am afraid Sax.
Even at 2 months sober after really trying to quit since January of this year, going to rehab, ending up in hospital thinking I was having a heart-attack when withdrawing, my mind still says to me 'have a drink today, it would just be a one off' or 'maybe you arent an alkie after all'.

You didnt just wake up and think it might be a good idea to quit Sax, you must have a lot of reasons. It is really hard to remember them when the cravings hit though.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Going to a meeting or calling someone in my network was always a tremendous help in dealing with cravings for me early in recovery.

The list is a good idea also, get a sheet of paper and write down every good thing that has happened to you in your life as a direct or indirect result of drinking. Next get a note book and write down every bad thing that has happened to you in your life as a direct or indirect result of drinking.

Did you notice for the good I said a sheet of paper and the bad a notebook? If you are like me you will need a note book.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
believer

We can only remember the bad reasons in a craving time...The fact you came here and wrote it down means you are ready to win over this one and many more...

much love back to you..
Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sax - you feeling any better?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

sax? keep reaching out...

blessings, k
Old 08-28-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions. I am going to be ok today, it's only an hour till my youngest goes to bed, so I won't be able to go out to get any after that (although in the past I did find ways). Besides I don't really want to drink now, it's just so hard when your craving badly, it's like everything you have learn't and thought just goes flying out the window. I really don't understand cravings, are they physical, psychological? I dunno, just glad this one has passed.

Thanks

Sax
Old 08-28-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I believe cravings are physical and psychological. I can't remember if anyone posted a link on post-acute withdrawal symptoms (aka PAWS). Have you read anything about this?
I'm so glad your craving passed. Believe it or not, this will make you stronger for the next time temptation calls.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I've known folks in AA who talked about calling a cab company to deliver beer/booze/cigarettes/whatever. So, if you were dead set on drinking, you would find a way. By the same token, if you are determined to stay sober, you will "go to any lengths".

You reached out to Sober Recovery...that has to say something about your thought processes, even though you may think you're confused...you know in your heart what you want.

They always advise a drowning person to stop struggling until help arrives...so, stop struggling, come up for air, and go with the flow.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

none of us need ideas on how to get booze, especially @ times when someone's craving...

hope you feel ok now Sax...

I actually know for a fact it's very easy to know what I want in my heart, yet do the opposite - that's addiction.

It was my life for best part of 20 years.

just so long as you keep what you know is right in your head, and know that cravings pass, stresses pass and there is no reason good enough to take that first drink, you'll be fine

D
Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Saxony, there is a little paperback book called "Living Sober" that has lots of great ideas and advice in it. I had fleeting thoughts of having "just one" today, so I'm reading it. I don't want to loose my sobriety date ( June 3, 2007 ) and have to start all over again. Sending prayers your way...GH