Notices

How I Feel After Two Sober Weeks

Old 08-27-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How I Feel After Two Sober Weeks

Good Morning Everyone!

I am so happy to be able to say that the last time I poured alcohol down my throat was August 12th.

I just wanted to reflect upon how being sober for only two weeks has opened my eyes to what I was actually doing to my body and my life. It's almost like coming out of a spell that was cast over me, or sorta like waking up from some sort of coma or something. It's hard to put into words.

Maybe this is just the pink cloud feeling that I've read about, but I am feeling so Human for the first time in a very long time. I am having some trouble with sleeping--but that's okay, and I expected that. I had much worse trouble sleeping when I passed out from drinking. Food tastes so much better. I have so much more energy that I almost feel as though I took speed. It's amazing how much life energy my drinking was using up (or maybe it's that my body had to use all its energy to just keep me alive!!).

I feel better about myself and about the world in general. I like the fact that I can talk to people and look them in the eye without worrying about bloodshot eyes, nasty breath and that glassy stare that I always had both while drinking and while hungover.

I had a cardinal rule which was that if I drank, I could not drive. That meant that once I took that first drink, I was housebound. How freeing it feels to be able to just pick up and go anywhere I want at anytime I want. I know that may sound odd, but I truly was a prisoner of my own habits, and I didn't even see that. I had been living that way for so long that it seemed normal to me. It is only now that my head has cleared somewhat that I am able to look at it more objectively and realize what I was doing to myself--physically, emotionally and spiritually. I had locked myself up and was methodically killing myself. It feels as though I have been released from prison.

I do have cravings. I may always have cravings, and that's okay; it goes with the territory. I can only cope with those on a moment by moment basis. I also have to say that the better I feel, the stronger the "moderation" thoughts get. I've been down this road enough times to know all the tricks that my alkie brain will use to take me hostage again. This time, she ain't winnin'!!

I want to say to newcomers who know that they have to do something--if you're telling yourself that you have to get sober; you do! It's not easy; it may be the hardest thing you will ever do. But, it is so worth it, and for me, there is no hope of achieving my goals in life or doing anything worthwhile if I am not sober. It has to be the number one priority and I know without a doubt that the rewards that I will reap will be a thousandfold.

Thank you all for being here. This website has made a huge difference in the way I am dealing with this--huge....

Peace to you,
Cekiya
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

great post, cekiya! just curious, how do you deal with the cravings - what do you do to get through them. also, don't recall - you going to aa or any other support group/counseling?

blessings, k
Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post Cekiya, you always do cool ones!

Congrats on your sober time and your awareness of the BS 'moderation' thoughts.

The cravings get less by the way.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

Hi, just want to congratulate you!

keep doing what you're doing, you're doing it!

and keep using reality in a positive way!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Thanks for your post Cekiya, you always do cool ones!

Congrats on your sober time and your awareness of the BS 'moderation' thoughts.

The cravings get less by the way.
Hi and congrats to you, Cekiya...

So true what Stone said, the cravings do get less..Much more, when you resist the craving, you have a sense of well being...You also build strength to deal with future problems...

Keep posting, we are glad you are here...
Old 08-27-2007, 12:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to hear that you're doing so well Cekiya.

I don't know if it's a pink cloud either, maybe a bit, but as long as you're taking care of yourself every day, that's what matters.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone! I just can't express how much this website is helping me to move forward with this. It just means so much to know that there are many, many people out there who feel and think as I do when it comes to overcoming something as tough as addiction.

k, you asked how I get through a craving. First thing I do is accept that I have it. Trying to push it out of my mind is exactly the wrong thing to do because it just makes it get bigger and bigger. So, I accept that I am having a craving. Then it's kinda like "Okay, craving, give me everything you got." It's almost like by owning it, I diffuse its power.

I also distract myself from it by focusing my mental attention on something I really enjoy--reading, my photography, watching a good movie, going for a walk, visiting a friend, taking a drive, listening to music. It's really odd, but I sometimes find myself "remembering" that a craving had showed up and wondering what happened to it.

Another thing I do is to create a "cut-off" time. That is, when I am home, if I don't go out to buy liquor before 6 p.m., it's too late. It's a "house rule" just as my no driving was a self-imposed rule. So, that reduces the times that I might be tempted. It is really strange. Once the time to go out is over, I don't get the cravings....just goes to show how insane all of this is, and how incredibly complex and simple our minds are.

I am so determined this time to kick this that I will do whatever I must to outwit that wiley alkie A-hole who lives in my head. So, I am using all of the energy that I had used to maintain my alcoholic behavior (which was considerable!) and applying it to correcting it. As I see it, the best way to make amends for past behavior is to do it right in the present.

As far as counseling, AA meetings, etc., I absolutely believe that the kind of recovery I want for myself cannot be attained without help from a Higher Power. I belong to several spiritual organizations and write on a number of message boards about a variety of topics. I also find, for me, that I need to be involved in different activities that aren't recovery related. I am so addictive sensitive that I could get addicted to recovery from addiction. Also, I want to find out what life is like living sober. There are so many trade-offs I've made over the years in order to have my booze, that I have missed many of the things and many of the relationships that other people take for granted.

So, each day I start out grateful for the "wake-up" call and go out into the world to see what awaits. Whatever it is, I know I can handle it because I am sober.

Again, this board is made up of a group of very special people. Thank you for being here.

Peace to you,
Cekiya
Old 08-27-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for posting, Cekiya. I'm glad that you're finding sobriety to be so rewarding. Recovery rocks!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Cekiya
I always enjoy your posts...your notion that 'I need to be involved in different activities that aren't recovery related. I am so addictive sensitive that I could get addicted to recovery from addiction' is, IMO, an excellent one

D