A Visit to Rehab

Old 05-27-2003, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

A Visit to Rehab

Well my husband and I drove 1100 miles roundtrip to see our daughter in rehab this past weekend. It was good to see her and she seemed very excited about seeing us. She does love us and she does act appreciative and for that I am very thankful.

She is beginning her 3rd week there and seems to have settled in. She says she knows she needs to be there which is a good sign. The doc & counselor told her that she will probably be there 45 - 60 days. The thing that scares me she is counting the days, reminding me she will be home in one month. I want her attitude to change to "I"ll stay here at long as I need to" but, of course, I realize that is what MAMA wants.... And what is wrong with that?????? I know ya'll know what I am getting it. We all want our A's/addicts to get to the point of TOTALLY getting it and being willing to do whatever it takes. Hey, I'm not asking for much, you think??????

Some of what I saw and heard at her rehab place scared and frightened me, but I can't live in a world of fear. So after we left visiting her on Saturday, we went to Sam's. There I found a book by Joyce Meyer (I think) on living a positive life. And that is what I'm going to do.......IF IT KILLS ME!....lol. Correction....that is what I'm going to do WITH GOD'S HELP....

So by 5:00 on Sunday when visiting time was over, guess what? I think the daughter was ready for us to leave. Imagine that!...
And guess what else? I was ready too... Our daughter is trying to 'find herself' and some of what she is finding doesn't really go along with how I would like for her to be. Big sigh....but I'm trying to let her grow up and keep praying that God will make her into what HE desires her to be. I'm pretty sure HIS plan is a better one than mine...

So today I'm walking around the house (while I'm SUPPOSED to be cleaning up) working on my 12 steps and repeating to myself,

"I am Precious, I am Precious....oops, that's POWERLESS!! And Hangin', Let Go and Let God, you hard headed cuss, you!"
Old 05-27-2003, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh Hangin' in,

You ARE precious!

Big big hugs!
Smoke
Old 05-27-2003, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Your daughter is blessed to have you. While reading your post, I just kept thinking....."this is a fabulous Mom." I always learn so much from reading what you write and your humor always puts a smile on my face......even when I'm feeling my worst.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter.......I'm sending positive mental thoughts your way!

Have a great day!

S
Old 05-27-2003, 09:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to love life...

Hangin In,

I'm so glad the visit went well. It must be a great feeling to know for once that your daughter is safe and in a good place. It sounds like she's getting something out of it too - good for her! When my husband was in treatment, I realized how important it was for him to be without me for that time... he found things out about himself that he never would have had the opportunity to do had things just "stayed the same".

My thoughts are with you and your daughter.
Take care
Meg
Old 05-27-2003, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

DItto with the other posts Hangin in !
Your humor is contagious and boy how I need it !

so glad to hear good things about your daughter-
its so hard to remember that its their recovery-
had anyone forced me to alanon or preached some
message i would be turned off.
how did i ever expect my great words of wisdom were going to save ?!
feels good to be on level ground and off the podium !!
God bless you both !
liddy
Old 05-27-2003, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Hangin' In!!

I met Joyce Meyer in the grocery store where I work. Her and her husband were in Ca. on vacation.She was looking for a video that I thought for sure we had and when I couldn't find it I told her "I am so sorry, I thought for sure that we had some left." She said "you are forgiven." It was really neat meeting her because I have enjoyed watching her on TV too. Enjoy her book!!

So glad you had a good visit with your daughter.
Prayers and hugs to all of you,
matters
Old 05-27-2003, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hangin'

I think you are precious too, and hope you are wearing your tiara proudly.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

Joyce is my lifesaver!

Can't believe ya'll are talking about Joyce Meyer. I discovered her last year (long before I discovered alanon). She saved my sanity. I bought a bunch of her tapes, slapped them in my walkman headset, and went on doing housework.

That was my turning point back to reality. I didn't have to be living alone in the house while my A slept off the beer. I had someone with me, pouring sane stuff back into my head.

If you ever find yourself obsessing about your A and can't stop, get a headset, and Joyce tape, and go do yardwork or something! You'll feel normal again by the time the tape is over!
Old 05-28-2003, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Just wanted to thank all you ladies and germs for your replies. Every response speaks to me and I appreciate ya'll caring.

So would ya'll believe that soberrecovery.com has now surpassed EBay as my favorite website? Gee, what does this say about my life?... Well, my checkbook thanks you and so does my heart...

Love you guys!

Hangin' In: