Anyone do Service Work?

Old 08-26-2007, 07:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anyone do Service Work?

My home group is having elections in the next few weeks for various service positions. I am going to throw my name in the hat for Group Representative. I have done it before~ when I lived in Texas... I've also been approached about doing something on the District level, perhaps a District Rep.

Have any of you done any service work? I'd love to hear about your experience.

~Cats
Old 08-26-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I never was comfortable going beyond my group, it was just a "me" thing, so my service was limited to setting up or cleaning up, coffee duty and treasurer.

I really admire what you are doing, there is a lot of work involved in that but for such a worthy cause. I'd like to hear from you how it goes.

Proud of Ya Hugs.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't done anything at the district level other than volunteering to help with their annual program....don't quite feel comfortable with that yet. I do clean up each week for my home group and have lead several meetings and take a turn at being the chair for a month (we appoint a new chair at each monthly business meeting), so I'm taking my baby steps.

I have found the service work I do for my home group helps me to feel even more a part and provides more opportunities to speak with newcomers and to share comraderie with everyone in the group. I like being able to give back just a little of what has been so freely given to me.

I think it's wonderful that you are doing this Cat and I'd like to hear more about what is involved. Maybe it would help me feel more comfortable to spread my wings beyond my home group.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go for it. The service work keeps us coming back. I will get back into the service work again, after I retire.

Like the rest of the group here, I have stayed mostly with my home group, making the coffee and doing the treasurer work. I have beeen an alternate GSR (Group Service Representative).

I have traveled with some of the District Chairs........

What I strongly like about service work is that it keeps one connected and active in the program of recovery.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Other than my home group, I carried the message and spoke to families at two
large rehab centers on a regular basis. I truly enjoyed this contact with families and loved ones of As who had not yet begun a recovery program. They were in alot of pain and so bewildered.
I remember well the alanon member who first carried the message to me when son was in his first rehab at age 18.
He was the family counselor there.
I went to meetings at his suggestion and am eternally grateful I found the solution.
Go for it Cats.
Hugs
Old 08-27-2007, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
On a tear

As a double winner, I am precluded from doing service work beyond the group level... which I discovered after going to District Assembly as the Alternate Group Rep (grin). AND after three years in program, I really see why there is a separation between the two groups - even those of us who are double winners. There are some personality traits that tend to show up in each program... I think it interesting that the folks fifty years ago saw this and tried to guard against one program getting too tangled up in the other's business.

So I do what I can... set up, clean up and committee work.

Now - once I start really working a program in the other group, I expect no excuses for not doing more service work! (I am trying to work all my steps through Alanon with my [double winner] sponsor before moving over and doing it again in the other program).

D
Old 08-27-2007, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'm gonna volunteer at a conf in oct. that's as far as i have gotten.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Well, elections were tonight. Another woman stepped up to be our Group Service Rep, so I didn't put my name in to cause a vote. I am not the type who wants to make it a popularity contest... and I know she'll do a very good representing our Group. And that's really what it's all about - doing service.

I had given it up to my HP, so I am confident that there is some other opportunity out there for me.

I volunteered tonight to help with our district's birthday celebration, and since I am fluent in Spanish I've offered to help at our service center.

I'd still like to hear from others who have done service work.!
Old 08-28-2007, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I attended Area Assembly for our State this weekend - learned lots of info about service work.

As the "double winner" info goes - you might want to check your Service Manual - as it was explained to us by our State Delagate and how I understood it. A double winner may not hold one of the officer positions but may still be appointed as a Coordinator or serve on the committees.

Also in the Al-Anon Alateen Service Manual (2004-2006) pg. 173-175 - Gives a slightly modified essay, "Leadership" written by Bill W. for a 1959 issue of the AA Grapevine - that talks about Service. This was read at the Assembly - for me it talked about the balance of leadership.

At this time, I am Alt. GR for my home group and considering "standing" for GR and possibly Alt. DR for our District in the next election this fall. I too feel that service work is a great portion of our recovery.

My main concern is to do my part, thru the guidance of my HP, to ensure the continuation of the Al-Anon principles, meetings and program because someone else made sure the meeting was there when I needed it 4 yrs. ago. To me, Service work is part of carrying the message.

Congrats on volunteering at the Service Center - I'm sure that will be greatly appreciated and that your HP will use it to help you carry the message of recovery to others.

Great topic - not many talk about Service work although it is an important part of Al-Anon's Three Legacies.
Thanks for this great post!!
Wishing You Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 08-28-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Wow, Cat, someone stepped up and actually wanted the job? That has never happened in my group. Now keep in mind my group isn't all that large, so Mr. Hangin' and I were "drafted" or somewhat appointed to be the GR (that would be Mr. Hangin') and I was to be the alternate.

Now just guess, just guess who ended up doing the little bit of GR work that got done? Oh, wait. I didn't just say that, did I?

I hate to say it, but we really have trouble getting people to get involved in service work outside our meeting room. Oh, we have great folks, but we mainly "minister" to each other and newcomers. Don't think we've really had anyone from our group ever be really involved at the District level.

Now my sponsor...Lordy, she's done it all and says she's learned so much from it. When I hear her talk about her work at the state level, why it almost makes me want to go for it. Then I realize I can't spread myself too thin....the day job keeps me very busy. Ugh!

So I say YOU go for it and then you can inspire me to get more involved. You'd make a great GR, DR, etc.!

Hugs,
Hangin' In
P.S. Cats, until you get your dress out of your underwear, well, you're just not looking real creditable.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I help out at the home group and I am treasurer. I am will start working in our district group next month. We are trying to get new groups started so some of the regulars are stepping up to help get the new ones started. It makes me feel good when I help the new people coming into the group, or leading a topic.