Notices

Day 26 and then...

Old 08-26-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Post Day 26 and then...

Hi Everyone

Well, I experienced a minor "bump in the road" recently. From about day 18 to day 28 I began to experience the symptoms of Post-Acute Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome (depression, fatigue, lack of motivation, apathy, etc) and it just got to be too much for me and so on day 26 and day 28 I drank some alcohol and all of the "PAWS" symptoms went away and I began to feel normal (and good) again - even when I was hungover. Several of what I thought were "health problems" went away too. This is not uncommon in a person who's brain is so accustomed to alcohol that they can't feel "normal" without it and the number 1# reason alcoholics like myself relapse. Today is Sunday and I have decided that although I slipped up a few times, I don't plan to go back to the "old days" and so I have started back on my medication and hope to go another 27 or 28 days (or longer) without alcohol. If you fall off of a horse, you simply dust yourself off and hop right back on again!.

Need4Change
Old 08-26-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Need4change,

I'm glad that you're continuing to work sobriety. And, I think it does take a lot of work. What will you differently this time, if you feel the same urges at day 26 or so? I wonder if you have a plan that can get you through that difficult time.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

'What will you do differently this time'?

Keep at it Need4!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
believer

You are supposed to make it..that's why you are learning what to do..you know better, you'll do better!

take care.."you are doing what you need to change.."
Old 08-26-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Need4change, I wish you only the best for a full recovery. I'm new to all of this and hope I'm learning from these posts.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Need4change,

I am happy you made it back to us...Some never make it back...I for one will do everything to remain sober...While out there drinking, I have knocked on deaths' door...

Keep posting,

Thinking of you....
Old 08-26-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there need4change...

I also fell off the wagon recently. As I was boarding a plane, I had a minor disagreement with the overhead baggage compartment (It won). So I hit my head on the compartment hard enough to cause a minor concussion... Didn't realize I had the concussion until about 10 minutes into the flight and by then it was too late. To attempt to kill the pain and nausea with no meds available, I had a couple of chardonnays, and then a beer and one more glass of wine 6 hours later after I got off the plane.

None since, but I still have a headache now three days later. Apparently concussion effects can last for awhile...
Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

you have a great attitdue, you slipped, its not the end of the world......you know it and have realized you need and have the will, to start again....this is a learning experiance, we are not saints, its hard, I am glad you are determined to get back on and ride th horse...one day at a time....best wishes..
Old 08-26-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Coping strategies...

* Prayer
* Keep busy
* Naltrexone
* Campral

Need4Change