Notices

sober 11 days and counting

Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

sober 11 days and counting

I had been drinking most of my life. Since age 16. Everyday for the last 20 years. Wine was my choice of drink. Two years ago I started to drink my usual 1.5 litre at night then before my daughter got on the school bus and until she left in the early am I would drink maybe another 3/4 of a litre and go back to sleep. This summer and including last summer I would wake up as early as 3 am and drink more than the l.5 litre that I ended with the night before. Sometimes a couple of cans of beer too. Well you get the picture.
I've had a health issue due to all of the drinking. I'd like to believe it's minor. But for now I just don't wrap my brain around it.

So my question is, is it possible to STOP without the help from experts. I was just wondering what some of the opinions are.

The only time I crave wine is when I make my daily runs or errands and I'm most often by any of the wine stores that I frequented. There were four of them. I tried to spread myself wide. As it was each store clerk new me UGH! Anyway, once I'm home for the day the craving goes away. I now got into a habit of drinking lemon flavored club soda all night. Octoman I had to laugh when you wrote about your dreams. My friend calls them sober dreams. I had nightmares the first few nights. I read that's a sign of withdrawal.
Other than that I'm fine so far. There are no family gatherings in the near future. Thanksgiving is the next holiday that I will be with tons of family that will be drinking. But I think I'll be fine as hubby does keep a few cans of beer in our refrigerator that I haven't had the desire or rather the impulse to touch.
Thanks for listening to my long tale. Wish me luck and well wishes to you all too.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please consider AA meetings, or at least call your local AA in your area and go to an open meeting, keep an open mind, because it can help you a great deal, if times get tough. What helps me and my husband on those special family occasions, sparkling grape juice. You are doing good, 11 days is an accomplishment, just remember take it one day at a time. take care.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

welcome!! and congratulations on 11 days!! thats awesome, whens the last time you went 11 days without drinking!! redbear is right, check out aa and remember just stay in today!!!

Good Luck!!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you are looking for experts on alcoholism...
Yes! AA is where I see them.

Well Done on your sober time

Welcome to SR
Old 08-24-2007, 07:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I stopped drinking with AA. Went to therapy much later for other issues.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi eastcoastgirl, and welcome.

Many use this board as their main source of support. While it's a huge part of my own recovery, I need to get out face to face with other alcoholics. AA meetings, counselling sessions with an addictions person, rehab, and relapse prevention therapy have all been part of my journey.

What I have learned about myself, and about my alcoholism, is that I drank to 'numb out', to 'cope', to 'not deal with life'. Sobering up, there's a lot to look at, if you wish to live contentedly. Stopping drinking was simply the beginning for me.

Whatever you decide suits you best, eastcoastgirl, I'm glad that you're here with us.

Rowan
Old 08-25-2007, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

I agree with Rowan Mike carol and re bear,east coast girl...I am at day 34..I came here on day one, asked around, read a lot and got some great sppt., and was pointed to AA, I go to 4 meetings a week and it has without any doubt helped me get to the first 34 days of sobriety since I was 16 and am now 47...anyway, welcome aboard..stay in touch, hit the AA website and find some meeting places...you have nothing at all to lose, BUT, everything to gain..
Old 08-25-2007, 04:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome

Hi Eastcoastgirl, congratulations on your sober time. Glad to have you here with us. Please keep reading and posting. I agree with the others who recommended AA; my home group has helped me tremendously. I have 83 days of sobriety as of today! GH
Old 08-26-2007, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support and advice. It is appreciated
Old 08-26-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi eastcoastgirl!

Are you thinking of any form support like AA or rehab or anything?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eastcoastgirl,

Welcome and congratulations on your 11 days sober!

I am glad you have changed your lifestyle and have found SR. There is lots of support here and you can do this!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Stone, Not as of yet. I'm nervous about it. As I am shy and a very private person. Also never was one to speak in front of groups. I seem to get tongue tied. I'm going to wait and see how I progress. I've since, Monday 8/13/07 have had just a few situations that would have made me pour a glass of wine right away to "calm down" but it seemed to pass quickly.

One thing I find amazing is, I always thought I needed to get plastered to fall asleep and stay asleep. Sleeping is much nicer now.

Not worrying about blacking out is another wonderful plus. I blacked out in July after drinking way too much before bed. Woke up in the early a.m. (not that I remember) But I do remember waking up on the hardwood floor, my head bleeding and my bruised ribs which sent me to the hospital for x-rays that afternoon. I told my family, I rolled off of the bed. Everyone believed me. Boy did I hide my excessive drinking well.

Sorry for the rambling. I realize you did ask one question. Thanks for your concern.

Last edited by eastcoastgirl; 08-26-2007 at 07:15 AM. Reason: didn't address the poster I was replying to
Old 08-26-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about speaking in front of groups, I have been going to AA meetings for over 3 months and still havent 'shared' in front of the group! I talk to people before and after the meeting just fine though. I really must start talking soon though!
I got to the point where I had to go to AA, I had been trying to long on my own and it wasnt working.
I am nearly 2 months sober now so something seems to be working.

I would recommend doing something as well as relying on willpower even if it is only researching alcoholism as much as you can.

This place is a big help too!
Old 08-26-2007, 08:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile Stone, thank you for your valued input

=)
Old 08-26-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No probs.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Eastcoastgirl,

Extending a warm welcome to you...

You can do this!!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

hi Eastcoast!

Congrats on your sober time. I have six months and I couldn't have done it without AA. I, too, have a problem sharing at meetings...I often don't. You DON'T have too. I hope that you try a meeting and see how you feel..it really really helps give a person tools to cope..

Karen