Notices

Don't ever think it's "one last time"

Old 08-23-2007, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
4am

Don't ever think it's "one last time"

Hi. I'm done with drinking. I just got my 4th DUI (my 2nd in one year). And I thought it was going to be my "one last time".

The strange thing is, I've actually been feeling relieved that I was caught. This has convinced me that I have a serious drinking problem. Not just a drinking and driving problem.

I know the source of the biggest hurts in my life is alcohol.

I'm going on antabuse. I don't know what else to do!!

Looking for support in this hard time. Can you believe a beer sounds good right now? But I won't do it. I know where it leads...

Thanks!
-H
Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I hope that this is your bottom and that you are really ready to stop now.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease and there is no question that things will get worse unless you stop drinking. You can do this!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 4am View Post
Can you believe a beer sounds good right now? But I won't do it. I know where it leads...

Hi and welcome 4am!

You just summed up the insanity of alcoholism, I would feel like drinking after going through HELL from withdrawals just a few days before! Now every time I feel like drinking I remember where it leads-it's a powerful tool against it.
Once we know these things we just have to remember them every day.
I have had the voice of alcoholism whisper 'one last time' to me too!
Old 08-23-2007, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi and welcom 4am . That is one horribly expensive lesson but luckily you didn't injure or kill anyone eh?

This is an excellent place for support. Hang around and you'll find that out for yourself .
Old 08-23-2007, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hiya 4am - I'm glad you lived to tell.

I heard this tonight - it's better to sober up, than to be locked up or covered up.

I hope you stick around - recovery is possible.

Rowan
Old 08-23-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i know what u mean about being relieved! i just got my second one and they were 1yr 1 month apart! what i did was went back to aa asap!! i feel truely at home there, makes me wonder why i wanted leave so bad the first time!! (stupid following directions! haha) i have only been sober a short while right now but i feel so good right now!! the weight has been lifted off my shoulders and now i am right where i belong, in recovery!!

check out a meeting and just remember you cant get drunk if you dont pick up that first drink!!

L
Old 08-23-2007, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to see you are at a turning point.

Welcome to SR
Old 08-23-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

4am... first off welcome...

4am
Can you believe a beer sounds good right now?
you bet... its what we know...

that, is what recovery changes...

i drove a lifetime all boozed and drug'd up.. never one DWI, a few close calls... no consiquences!

how many times i could have killed someone... ugh!

yep, you see it as a blessing...take it and run with that blessing 4am

xxoo, rz
Old 08-23-2007, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Welcome to SR 4am, I am glad you are here. Please read and post often, there is A LOT of recovery on this board...all yours for the taking!!!!

Good Luck....Cathy...fellow Alcoholic
Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi 4am ... welcome!
Old 08-24-2007, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello,

I learned not to say, I will never drink again...Instead I live in the day for today, I will not drink...

I also got a Dui, first one, spent a weekend in jail, and ended up at Detox...When I came to in jail, the first thing I thought of was how grateful I was I didn't hurt anyone...

Keep posting, we are glad you found us...
Old 08-24-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I'm going on antabuse. I don't know what else to do!!
I found that if the only thing I changed about me as a person was not drinking that nothing changed! I always went back to drinking.

I was a drunk whether I was drinking or not, the only difference between me when I was drinking and when I was not drinking was when I was not drinking I was miserable, I was still a drunk so all I did was think about drinking which for 10 years always led to me starting to drink again.

It took me 10 years of trying to quit to realize that in order to stay stopped I had to change!!! I had to quit drinking and then change myself from the sober drunk I was.

I was able to change from a miserable sober drunk to some one who is happy, joyous, and free via AA. In AA I found the solution that allowed me to become a different better person and stay sober.

I did all of this one day at a time.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

4AM be grateful you were coherent enough to even think to turn to SR. I wouldn't have been at that stage! I've had over 20 years of "one last time". We know where it leads, why do we keep insisting we can handle it? I had 3 DUI's, all within one year - still don't have my license, but I'm just glad to be alive and not in jail for the rest of my life, which could have easily happened if I'd kept going. At the time I thought the DUI's had ruined my life (court, fines, humiliation, having to ask for rides, etc.) and though I did have my wings clipped, I now see that I had to be stopped. I just wasn't getting the message until it became a legal issue and the hard cold facts were facing me. Still, it's a time for celebration, 4AM - your life is about to change!
Old 08-24-2007, 01:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
4am

Thank you for all the helpful replies. It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone. I've been feeling so ashamed and estranged from others. Thanks guys!
Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome, you are in the right place.