Trying Hard To Not Fight Back

Old 08-18-2007, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying Hard To Not Fight Back

AW is on one tonight. I'm trying hard to bite my tongue and not toss it right back..but God it's so hard. All the slurred speech...all the stupid ideas and all the "thinking she's a damn stand up comic" is about to do me in.

I'm starting to hate her.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this too. Ah is being the same way tonight. I hope the rest of your weekend gets better.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went through it last night. It is hard.

When it gets to the point I can't take it I've started going out the door for an hour or so. One night I sat in Walmart parking lot just for peace and quiet. How sad is that?

I'm fine if he just comes in and passes out but when he dominates the room with his obnoxious babbling, ranting, baiting for argument etc is when I start to lose it.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Ahhh, Im afraid Im too pigheaded, Id be giving it straight back to her. At least that way youve got alot off your chest.
Let her sleep on the couch for once...
Old 08-19-2007, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm feeling your pain AskingWhy. My ah has been sober for 10 years,but I haven't forgotten!!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It is what it is

So sorry. I go through it all the time so I understand. It sucks and is so hard to keep the mouth shut. But you know what, I've found it is empowering not to give in to the madness. It's hard to practice the first few times, but after a while it works and feels good too. I have the control for a change. And I don't get myself all angry and worked up. I just walk away and say I'm not dealing with your nonsense. All I can say is keep working it.

Jenny
Old 08-20-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AskingWhy;

Just stuff your pockets with garlic, drink holy water, hold a crucifix, and tell yourself "you can't hurt me" Humor yourself as I learned to do.

That was something I used to say at ALANON as if my AW were a vampire and everyone at the meeting got some comic relief, me too.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fool To Do Your Dirty Work

so sorry Asking....God, do I remember that....when you finally snap ( what sane person wouldn't under constant attack???) and yell back they just throw it in your face the next day..."You have issues to work on too....look how YOU treated ME last night...you're no better..." Grrrrrr!!!!! And to believe he actually made me stop and think! They make us crazy so they have something besides booze to blame when we finally have had enough and leave....oh, to have had this much clarity before I left....keep reading, and venting....we are here for you and we understand.(())
Old 08-20-2007, 07:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Not responding is probably the greatest power you have.
I used to invision my xah standing in a mental hospital window holding onto the iron bars and yelling at me while I was on the outside. It worked for me.
I began to see him for the sick person he was.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Acting not reacting

My ex thought he was so funny when he was drunk. It was never that funny to me.
Leaving the house helped me. I know it sucks and I used to ask, why do I have to leave? He is the one being a drunken idiot!
But, all things considered, the leaving was for ME. Even if just to get ice cream or a drive, or for a long walk.

I remember those days and hope it gets better.