Sorta OT: Trying to rely on HP (update on house)

Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Sorta OT: Trying to rely on HP (update on house)

I say "sorta OT" because I feel that anything dealing with my recovery is not necessarily OT, although this has nothing to do with ras... but it has to do with me being able to fully rely on HP, so I felt it was still relevant in a way.

Anyways, most of you know that hubby and I are staying in a hotel at the moment. The "rent" here is $350 a week... hubby's parents were kind enough to pay the first two weeks, and we paid for the rest of the month when that ran out, but we cannot keep doing that for too much longer.

The reason we haven't closed on the house yet is that the house is supposedly in a flood zone. We don't want it if it is really in a floodzone, partly because if it is the flood insurance will be required and will be over $1300 a year (which would be a heck of a lot more house for the same money if we were looking to spend it), and partly because we don't plan to be there more than 5-10 years and want to make sure that we buy a house that we are reasonably sure we'll be able to resell. There are too many other houses in our area that would not require flood insurance for anyone to want to buy that house. So, we had sent off to have FEMA amend the floodmap, as our nextdoor neighbors have successfully done. Our house sits higher than theirs, and they were successful, so you would think this would not be a problem, right?

Well, here's the latest: FEMA has issued a brand new floodmap for that area, and the new floodmap still has that street as being on a floodplane. This means that our next door neighbors are going to have to reapply to have the new map amended, because according to their paperwork, any new maps override any previous maps or amendments.

The real kicker is that this new map does not go into affect until September 19th, and we are supposed to be closing on the house on August 30th. So, we might be going a whole two weeks or so after closing before we are required to get flood insurance yet again. I don't know if the people at FEMA will work our application as an amendment to the new map, which would solve every bit of this, or if they are working on it from the old map, which is what will put us in this pickle. And when you call FEMA to ask about it, they won't tell you anything. They give our agent the runaround every time he tries to call them.

On one hand, we cannot keep paying weeks at a time for a hotel room. On the other hand, I don't want to commit to something else, whether it be an apartment or another house, and then have this one actually somehow work out.

Other than that, I am so tired of being "homeless" at this point. Yes, I'm more than thankful to have a roof over my head, a place to shower, etc etc, but gosh darnit I'm tired of not having a residential mailing address at this point and having to use a PO box for everything. I had to lie to the people who gave me my auto loan to get the financing to buy my car. I hate lying, but I had no choice, as no one would finance it if I gave them a PO box for an address. So, I gave them my old apartment address, knowing that my change of address with the post office would ensure that I get anything they send me.

And it's not just that: the door on our room does not shut very well, so I never know for sure that I'm leaving our belongings safely locked up in the mornings after playing with the damn door for ten minutes.

Okay, I am starting to realize how petty this is sounding. I know it's temporary. But geez I'm tired of worrying about it. I've been sick for the past week and a half with a really bad cold, and I'm now convinced that my stress levels over the past two months are the biggest contributor. And this is not helping.

Sorry this was so long and boring, I just had to get it out, and I can't talk to hubby about it much because he's taking it harder than I am and I can't talk to my parents because their probs are far worse. Prayers would be much appreciated.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lady, Stress is stress, no matter what the source. So I will send you lots of prayers that things work out and that you will soon be in a place that you can call your own. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-18-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sending prayers Lady...Dealing with the feds is never easy and always lengthy...I hope whatever is supposed to be for your new place of residence gets decided soon for you. Hugs and prayers.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

prayers for your family that you can find out something on the house real soon. this has got to be really hard on all of you.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Angry Eeek

I just read an email from our agent. The latest amendment to the closing date pushes this back potentially as late as September 16th!!! Now, I realize that we can move it up if the amendment works out sooner... but I don't know how we'll make it that long living in this hotel room! And what if it doesn't work out? Then are we stuck here until the end of September b/c it will likely take another week or two to get into an apartment while we figure something else out...

I just keep praying that our waiting around is not going to be for nothing... my only hope in this is that we will get some kind of answer much sooner than that so we can move on with life, one way or another. This is getting to be absurd... I have no kitchen here, so every time we eat we are eating out, which is costing us way too much, plus the things I mentioned before, plus I really miss my cat... and going to visit her at Matt's parents' house only makes me even more ill because I don't like having to have someone's permission to visit with my cat. Plus, every piece of clothing we own is in this one room with us... and there is very little room to organize things, so it is getting very cramped. I feel like I could scream loud enough to be heard in China right now...

And what in the world, I dare ask, could HP be trying to show me through this? What could possibly be the purpose of this little episode?

*sigh*
Old 08-19-2007, 02:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I have had fears of being inyour situation when I have sold a house that I was living in.. Where do you GO while trying to get a new house.. and I could never pay rent and mortgage at the same time while waiting for a closing or closings!

Closing dates typically slip. The house I am living in today is the first one I ever purchased that closed on the day originally stated in both the Binder and the Contract! That being said, you need to discuss this with your agent and talk to someone at FEMA. I know of flood map amendments and they are neither instantaneous or guaranteed.

You are probably way too far into this at this point to do anything but press on, but I would be real hesitant to purchase a house where the flood map had to be amended for a variety of reasons, some of which may even have to do with the potential for flooding. JMO...

I know you are stressing and I would hate to be paying that money out for a Motel room. I am praying for you and your worries are real important to you so they are not petty. (((LAdy)))