Don't stop drinking cold-turkey

Old 08-18-2007, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't stop drinking cold-turkey

My ah and I were told yesterday at a hospital for alcoholics and drug addicts not to stop drinking alcohol cold turkey unless you are under the care of a doctor. They said your blood pressure will shoot sky-high and you can die.
Instead if you try it on your own you have to taper off slowly over time to quit.
That makes sense. Have you heard this also?
Old 08-18-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

I've know alot of people that have quit without the aid of a doctor.
Support through AA seems to be their saving grace.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From the little I know its a matter of how much is being consumed and other physical factors. My AH quit without medical intervention. If your husband has difficulties after stopping drinking you can always take him to a hospital.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it can be deadly. Medical supervision is advisable!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
On a tear

Lois (founder of Alanon) used to carry a bottle around to ease withdrawal for some who came in and were unable to get under a doctor's care. But that was in the 1930s.

Death from alcohol withdrawal is a real possibility. Anyone attempting at-home withdrawal is urged to contact a hospital or detox.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The exact pharmacology of ethanol is not fully understood: however, it is theorized that delirium tremens is caused by the effect of alcohol on the benzodiazepine-GABAA-chloride receptor complex for the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA. Constant consumption of alcoholic beverages (and the consequent chronic sedation) causes a counterregulatory response in the brain in attempt to re-achieve homeostasis.

This causes downregulation of these receptors, as well as an up-regulation in the production of excitatory neurotransmitters such as norepinephrine, dopamine, epinephrine, and serotonin - all of which further the drinker's tolerance to alcohol and may intensify tonic-clonic seizures. When alcohol is no longer consumed, these down-regulated GABAA receptor complexes are so insensitive to GABA that the typical amount of GABA produced has little effect; compounded with the fact that GABA normally inhibits action potential formation, there are not as many receptors for GABA to bind to - meaning that sympathetic activation is unopposed. This is also known as an "adrenergic storm". Effects of this "adrenergic storm" can include (but are not limited to) tachycardia, hypertension, hyperthermia, hyperreflexia, diaphoresis, heart attack, cardiac arrhythmia, stroke, anxiety, panic attacks, paranoia, and agitation.

This is all made worse by excitatory neurotransmitter upregulation, so not only is sympathetic nervous system over-activity unopposed by GABA, there is also more of the serotonin, norepinephrine, dopamine, epinephrine, and particularly glutamate. Excitory NMDA glutamate receptors are also upregulated, contributing to the delirium and neurotoxicity (by excitotoxicity) of withdrawal. Direct measurements of central norepinephrine and its metabolites is in direct correlation to the severity of the alcohol withdrawal syndrome.

It is possible that psychological (i.e., non-physical) factors also play a role, especially those of infections, malnutrition, or other underlying medical disorders - often related to alcoholism.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Delirium Tremens (beer)
http://www.delirium.be/Anglais/Histoire/histoire.htm