Attorney Monday-any suggestions?

Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attorney Monday-any suggestions?

My lady friend that owns a pet shop & I have a 10AM appt. Monday with my attorney. She is my ride to town and wants a will done along with other issues.

Talked to attorney or rather he screamed at me for over 2 hrs.(her is a friend). he wants me to divorce NOW-I want my truck back and the promisary note for $30,000(before were we married) AH was in the hospital and has 2 extremely well paying jobs lined up. Attorney says cut my losses and be done with him. There is no way AH can get anything else-nor his creditors. After almost $200,000 and not a nickle in the bank-running on a line of credit-sorry folks-he just is not going to walk!!!!!! Ya'll talk about enablers-he sure had a great time-huh?

He is an out of control druggie-who does function at times. Been through each and every druggies friend he knows. About to run out-hopefully he will crash and burn.

Policeman friend came over late last night-to check on me. We adopted each other 19 yrs. ago. He gave AH every break in the world-then to prison AH went for the third time. Policeman took me to see him-even was best man when I married the SOB in prison. He now says he is so sorry-just a brother /sister thing. Said I was not ready to accept the truth-he is right. AH cannot go down the main highway without getting pulled over-harassment-nope!!!!!

Tenants(druggies) are moving, thank goodness-I will not see my truck(now in his name)going there. A bit leary of the new one-AH knows him. Man works a real job-has a 10 yr. old son who lives with him and a daughter who lives with gram-his wife died many yrs. ago. His mom is a "well known" lady in the next big town. He agreed to a lease and especially all the fine print. Another thing to ponder over.

Major decisons to make and not certain I am up to them?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Well, before I left, I had a plan. I did all the planning so I could leave and not be left wondering where I'd live etc.
I rented an apt 2 weeks before I actually left.
I saw an attorney. Before I saw the attorney, I wrote a list of a million questions!
The only thing I can offer, is plan as much as you can.
I hope it goes well for you.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Attorney knows me better than AH ever thought about. Attorney even feels he was an enabler-he should not-a very long story. He bought my cabin cruiser a few yrs. back-thus more $ to send to AH is prison. I did not know he still got drugs in prison-just thought he was doing very well. I really thought AH was ok when he came home-then I saw the changes-slowly but surely-he said no and gave one excuse after the other. Dumb me. Then spinal surgery-Wow-a good thing for him-he milked that for all it was worth until I called his dr. Never again! Whatever his reasoning was he took me to the tenants-said you may not like it but so and so is going to be there. SHOCK!!!!! In the rent house was about 4 convicted felons-smoking a giant hooter and then AH says-these are my friends-take them or leave them. Needless to say-he left that night-I called the PD-tenants are moving. Friday night is a drug house at my rent house-breaks my heart - for now. Tiny town-police just want to get them gone. Gram will be 104 in Sept. and trying not to upset her in any way. Once they move-only within a mile-God best help them!!!!

I am stressing big time-for now. Once the AH duggie friend move out-neighbors and my tiny little corner of the wrold should get back to normal or better.

So sorry, just ticked off and venting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

(((mr)))

It will get better, or at the very least, you'll get better IN it. It's a great idea to write down questions and concerns before meeting with the lawyer. Also, in my case everything took longer than I thought it would. ...

Hugs

Cats
Old 08-18-2007, 06:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i think a divorce is the right path. i wish you luck & happiness. be done with him. it will get better & better i promise. hugs, hope
Old 08-18-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I guess I'm just a little confused... and naive about divorces, as I'm not very knowledgeable about them, but can't you ask for those things in the divorce papers? Either way, good luck... I'm praying for you!
Old 08-18-2007, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

mom,

I work in the legal field and am confused on what you are asking........such as......

1. Should you get a divorce?
Answer.........you and only you already KNOW the answer. you don't need to be told.

2. What about incurred debts?
Answer........it depends on who signed and under what condition. Your attorney can advise you. I would have to know more.

It seems to me that you know now what you will and will not put up with. Before you lose everything you hold near and dear (including your sanity) my advice is ........Run sister, RUN! hugs, dixie
Old 08-19-2007, 02:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

A failure to plan is a plan to fail.

Sit down today.. and you have the whole day.. and think what YOU want. From what you have said I would assume divorce is the option you desire. Certainly you must think more of yourself than to want a cheating, felonious drug addict for a husband? Only YOU know the answer to that. I think you are worth more than that, but opinions and advice are worth what you pay! YOUR decision.

As you ponder what YOU want, write it down. Put the list aside for awhile and then go back to it and cull and add as you see fit. Take the final list to your lawyer and then follow his advice.

I went thru a divorce and good old Co Dependent me.. I took 15% of the assets.. total and we were worth a LOT because of the farm and the farm being free of debt. He was an alcoholic and mentally ill, so I felt sorry for him and figured he needed the money (by then he was on disability).

I can say now, since he died just under 3 years after the divorce as a committed inpatient in a psychiatric hospital, that I truly wish I had done a better job taking care of me in this and a poorer job of being sure he had enough money and assets. His family got it all....

sort of like the old saying.. He got the gold Mine and I got the Shaft... But I shafted myself out of a misplaced sense of caregiving..

did I learn? Not really. I did a semi repeat of this with XABF.. duuuhh...

I have now learned my lesson and will NEVER AGAIN support another human being beyond myself as long as I live.

...and, I might add, I will never again tie myself to another person through marriage, joint ownership, joint bank accounts, or business partnership. When things change someone wins and someone loses and I have determined never to set up a situation again where I can be the loser (financially).
Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Every state is different, here in Florida, you can really get slammed if you are married to the boob. Plus here, if you buy a house, you have to add the hubby's name to the deed, he doesn't have to be on the mortgage, just the deed, it's a crock.

I would write everything down and be ready when you go to see the attorney, he/she will want to know what assets are in the marriage. That little piece of paper, marriage certificate, is just a financial arrangement, and in divorce, it all comes down to money, or lack of it.

I agree with Elana, nothing should be held jointly.

I am in a legal battle right now with my ex-hubbies children, even though I am his heir they have a right to sue, and are doing just that. Anyone can sue anyone for anything today.