A thought....and some open ears seeking advice

Old 08-16-2007, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A thought....and some open ears seeking advice

What is the difference between an addict and an abuser? Also, which do you think is the more difficult one to overcome? I consider myself an ex-abuser. I never needed my DOC, I just enjoyed it. I had one night/day that I looked at the person I was becoming, HATED that Cate and kissed my party like a rockstar days away. I am not going to lie, I still crave it sometimes especially dealing with my significant other now, but I know for me those days are done. I welcome everyone's thoughts.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its a difference in brain chemistry, although sometimes just a difference in timing and life.

I discussed the same thing and my old partying days with a drug counselor when I was doing family counseling and was told why it was great I could walk away I also could have been one hit away from being addicted.

I often wonder as I remember the last night I partied up all night with an old freind doing acid and smoking weed. Got up before anyone else that morning walked out of that apartment with the declaration to myself that I was never going back. Didnt think about it for 5 years, the first time I smelled weed on AH, caught me for a loop with desire and cravings but I obstained and it was easier times after.
However, since and under great stress I have noticed a draw and craving and desire for pills and have gotten mixed up a few times and had to make a strong effort to know when enough was enough.

So its an interesting question and Im curious what others think.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think you're on the right page Cinderella. I feel the same way. That's what makes being around my BF so difficult too, because I resent what he does. He doesn't realize that it's a daily struggle for me to stay this way AND I hate him sometimes for being so selfish. On the other side of the coin, I still have difficulty understanding why I could do it and he can't.

I don't know....it's such a tough situation. And I sit and think, how do I help if I don't understand???
Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I first suspected that my best friend's drug use was becoming a serious concern, I called a drug counselor for some answers to my many questions. He told me that the difference between an abuser and an addict can usually be distinguished by their response to consequences. He used the example that an abuser's relationships will suffer as a result of the drug use, and she/he cares. Whereas an addict's relationships suffer, but he/she no longer cares. I know that it is much more complicated than this, but in hindsight, I could definitely see that transition in my addict.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was thinking on this and it seems in every day life a difference between the abuser and addict is compulsion. The addicts in my life compulsively do things with no rhyme or reason to others. Where myself and others I know that did not become addicted do not regularly act compulsively, amybe at some times but can think, stop and control or atleast ahve the opportunity to think reasonable before acting
Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Good question. An addict abuses drugs. How could you abuse drugs and not be an addict?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think that one word answers that question and it's "yet". I think that each of us has a different speed that drives us into addiction - some go faster than others but it's a matter of time until it eventually happens if you do it enough.

Great questions and thoughts!

Donna
Old 08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i have to go along with wabbit. if you abuse drugs you are an addict. an addict abuses drugs it they are bought on the street or prescribed.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hope, light and wabbit,

I agree with you guys as well. I guess it's me in my head trying to figure out why I too was an addict and was able to kick it and why my BF can't.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I come from a slightly different angle in my thinking...and of course, its just my opinion formed from my expereinces.

I believe that there is a difference between and addict, and a person who has become dependent on a substance.

To me addiction is a disease, in that something in the body...something physical...aquires a need for a substance or substances and can't let go. To me an addict may find themselves trading one compulsion/obsession for another if allowed. Its the obsession that divides the two for me.

Becoming dependent on a substance in some cases is the result of abuse or even prolonged use...a physical dependence that once the substance is removed for a good period of time, the cravings and desires for that substance decrease.

You can refer to both as addiction...doesn't really change whats needed to resolve the problem, but I feel there's a difference between an "addict" and an "abuser"

I'm not sure if that makes any sense trying to explain with people words
(((Hugs)))
Cece
Old 08-17-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Still learning but after seeing with AH for 7 yrs.-I don't know if there is a difference from addict or abouser. You read "What Addicts Do"-that is an addict. Thus an abuser would not do all in the sticky and only use drugs now and then? Or an abuser is like when I had surgery and pain pills made me feel better-so I took them for an extra month-dr. would have let me have a script forever. Maybe an addict lets drugs control their life completely-where an abuser still functions 90%? A fine line between the 2. Yep, this probably does not make much sense?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I go so back and forth on this topic and that's why I wanted to throw it out there to everyone.

Here's some background.....I had been actively using drugs since I was about 16 years old. I never needed it, didn't crave it, but looked forward to it when the weekends came. I guess you could call me an active abuser. When I turned 21 the abuse got worse and that's when I started to REALLY look forward to the weekends. After I graduated from college I cut down on my abuse but remained an active abuser. In the span since then I have had many a sleepless night due to my old demons, spent a week hating myself, swearing to never to it again and then as soon as it was around I did. March 17 of this year I hated myself for the last time. I am stone sober.

Now I am helping my BF through his addiction/abuse. I got to thinking about the differences between his using and my own and didn't know how to classify myself or him. I am not sure I need a title, but I thought it might help.

I am proud to say that he is 17 days sober...like I have begun to take it....Baby Steps
Old 08-17-2007, 08:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

I would say an abuser is someone who takes substance using to excess. And addict is someone who abuses drugs and uses them to deal with lifes consequences.

An abuser may party to excess but still has other coping mechanisms, ie. can go for a walk to calm down rather than hit the bottle or swallow pills...and addict will compulsively use the same behaviors over and over to deal with life (ie. getting high) expecting different results.

Abusing drugs is definitely the pathway to addiction, however, someone who abuses drugs does not HAVE to become an addict.

In regards to your other question, why you as an addict you quit and your boyfriend can't...I think everyone CAN quit, it's just whether or not they are READY to quit. Some addicts die before they are ready, some discover they are ready and get clean only to relapse and discover they weren't REALLy ready yet....and some, like you, decide they are ready and walk away for good.

Getting recovery and getting clean are two different things. They are both hard to do. They can go hand in hand. I'm glad you decided to walk away and are finding a new way of life. Good for you! I hope your bf finds that path as well, someday.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Abuse and addiction are complex subjects. Many substances from caffeine to heroin (wide range, no?) are physically addictive simply based on the way their molecular structure interacts with the receptors in your brain. Some are only psychologically addictive including marijuana, LSD, peyote, and most of the other hallucinogens, for reasons that are beyond the scope of this post.
Brain chemistry and make-up differ widely in individuals (mostly notably primates, like us, and not other mammals), however, some seem to be far more pre-disposed to addiction than others. Addictive behaviour can also be based on life-history, exposure to certain behaviours in a family or peer group, and the ability to deal with stress (which also has to do with chemical pathways in the brain). Addiction can be to a wide range of substances or even behaviours such as food, sex, material goods, exercise, relationships, along with the more common addictions such as drugs and alcohol. The problem with drugs such as heroin/opiates, cocaine, and amphetamines/derivatives is that with usage they change the receptors in the brain so that the brain cannot function without them. That is why so many people never can get "clean". Due to the differences in brain make-up some people become physically addicted faster than others.
I smoked pot in high school, but when i turned about 19 I got busy with work, college, and life in general and just put it down. I dabbled with hallucinogens but did not care for the lack of mind-control (I like my thoughts orderly and logical, thank you!).
Each individual is different and that is what makes addiction treatement so difficult.
I hope this helps you in sorting your questions out.

Last edited by tropikgal2; 08-18-2007 at 05:49 AM. Reason: puncutation, spelling
Old 08-18-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think that an abuser can stop and see what is happening in their lives and take the necessary steps to stop it, an addict can't. I remember the first time that my daughter went to rehab, we parents had to fill out a form. It asked us why we thought our child was an addict and my response was "because she is willing to lose everything for the drug". That is my opinion and I have seen it work in her life and the lives of her friends, who partied and went on to finish college, etc. while my daughter is practically homeless and has lost everything. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-21-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree Marle. It's so interesting to see people's thoughts on a topic like this.

Here's a story for you:

I know this person. Good kid. Straight A student, captain of 2 sports teams, dances ballet, has an afterschool job, all honors classes....uses drugs randomly to "experiment" like marijuana, acid, ectasy, K and cocaine....This person goes to college, grades don't come as easy but still work, maintains great friendships, has a strong sense of family, graduates...still uses recreationally cut down to marijuana and cocaine...college is over this person works a 9-5 at a prestigious law firm, talking about marriage, starts school for an MBA....still using cocaine....graduates with an MBA with honors contiues using....finally hits a point where the cocaine doesn't really mean anything anymore.....still smokes pot, doesn't really like it, but will still do it on occasion

Define this person
Old 08-21-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well this is an interesting topic, I never really had thought about it with my bf. Is he an abuser or is he really addicted to a substance or substances? In the past before I met him He smoked pot did cocaine and smoked meth, Im not sure how long he smoked meth, but apparently had a crisis where he became very sick on meth after having been up for some 2 weeks straight. After that he didnt touch it again for about two years, went to visit his brother smoked it again for about a week, realized what he was doing stopped and drove the 10 hour drive home and hasent touched it in over a year. He told me recently that that was the only drug he has ever done that truly scares him. Since then however, he has used pot to an excess, tried acid, ecstacy, and crack. Recently he tried heroin, did it a couple times a week for about 2-3 weeks and stopped. Had been smoking crack, he states about 6-7 times in a 2 month period and smoking pot again daily. This all after a period of abstinence of 4-5 months while being in training in the service. He stated he didnt really like the heroin. However when he is even only smoking pot and not doing other drugs his life becomes unmanageable, he changes, cant hold a job cant pay bills etc. He doesnt per se have a physical addiction to any one drug but a huge psychological addiction to pot and drugs in general, in the way that when he is bored or depressed his first instinct is to go out and party, (boredom and dissapointment in himself are huge triggers) After 2 1/2 months like this he finally went back to the military and now suffering consequences for his decisions. He hasent had any physical withdrawals, but psychological ones and Im sure cravings as the consequences he is suffering have probally made him feel even worse about his life. So is he an addict truly or just an abuser on the verge if he doesnt get some help. He points out to me that he has been able to abstain. However when he is using he doesnt care about the consequences at that moment and even gave a ring I gave him to a crack dealer as collateral. I think in his heart he knows how much worse life can get, but I think there is a part of him that does still care, because he maintains it exactly on that fine line of abuse and addiction. I dont know any thoughts???
Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it sounds like your boyfriend has a pretty serious drug problem. Especially if he is using crack / meth. Any pattern of crack use constitutes addiction. The following is taken from "The crack busters workbook" and is extremely helpful info for addicts and people trying to understand crack addiction (and I would say rings true for smoking meth as well):

Crack addiction is different from our usual understanding of addiction. Most of us, when we think about what it means to be addicted, form our opinions by looking at the addictive effects of drugs like alcohol, heroin or valium.

We feel that these users are definitely hooked, physically dependent. If they don't obtain their drug each and every day, they become physically sick.

Not so with Crack. Many Crack users can go for long periods, a week, a month, without using Crack and suffer no major physical withdrawal symptoms. At least not the type of heavy physical withdrawal symptoms we associate with heroin or alcohol addiction. The common pattern among Crack abusers is to binge and abstain. It is possible to have a Crack binge, suffer the negative effects and abstain from using the drug for a period of time.

Crack users often abstain from using Crack. Factors such as lack of money, inability to obtain the drug, or even a sincere intention to quit, make it possible for many crack addicts to go for extended periods without using Crack.

The problem of course is that inevitably, the user will binge again. Binge and abstain, the cycle can go on for years. In fact, for many Crack users, this pattern of behavior constitutes their addiction. Except in severe cases, the Crack user does not see the heavy physical dependence on daily use or the heavy physical withdrawal symptoms associated with the stereotyped concepts of alcohol or heroin addiction. For this reason, Crack addicts often think, "I'm not hooked like a heroin addict or an alcoholic who needs his drug every day or else. I didn't have enough money for Crack for the past two weeks and didn't use and no problem."

Because Crack users can get away with not using for short periods of time, they are known to fool themselves. They often feel that they can control their habit and continue to manage their lives, they feel that they are not addicted. They feel that they can stop any time they really want to. What they often fail to realize however, is that even though the physical dependency may be minor when compared to other addictive drugs, they are the victims of a severe psychological addiction.

Crack is just as addictive as heroin if not more so, only the addiction exerts its domination over the user's life more through psychological control than physical dependency. Indeed, the psychological domination is overwhelming.

Scientist now report that cocaine is one of the most addictive substances known to man.

Drug addiction means:
1) A physical and/or a psychological dependence on a drug.
2) Compulsion to use the drug in the face of negative life consequences.
3) The habit is harmful to the individual and society.

MAIN POINT: BE AWARE THAT ANY PATTERN OF CRACK USE CONSTITUTES ADDICTION. IF YOU CANNOT STOP USING CRACK, AND THIS MEANS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, YOU ARE AN ADDICT.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm not sure its up to me to define anything or anybody but myself.
I tend to go by the rule of thumb:
If another's behavior is causing me problems, its a problem.

It really doesn't matter how I define it...thats up to the user.
JMO
(((Hugs)))
Cece