Notices

Court Tomorrow

Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alcoholic

Court Tomorrow

I've been on this site since my DUI in May, so I'm not so very new.

You all have been a real Godsend to me.

Finally, Finally, I have court tomorrow.

It's for more than just the DUI.

Of course my attorney says he handles this all the time, Don't Worried.

What do you think? Of course, I'm crazy worried.

My first DUI, no drugs, but other things involved, like a car accident and cops that seem to be wanting to make this worse than it has to.

Tomorrow at 8:30.

It's pretty hard to have faith in others. Especially when you've gotten to the point when you have pretty much no one else that you can count on.

And then it comes down trying to have faith in an attorney and a judge...
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
In situations like that I have faith in a higher power. Let go, let God. I can't control the outcome, but I can trust and have faith that whatever happens is God's will for me.

I wish you the best, and pray that you'll find peace soon.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll say a prayer for you tomorrow at 8:30, KatieMay.

Whatever the consequences, I hope you are able to accept them.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good luck with the outcome. They take this stuff so much more seriously than when I was using. Stay sober and time will heal.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KatieMay -

My thoughts are with you, but worry will get you nowhere.

"It is wise to pray for the future, but not to worry about it, because it can't live until it becomes the present. The depth of our anxiety measures the distance we are from God." Came to Believe

TinLizzy
Old 08-16-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Alcoholic

Thank you all for your kindness, once again. -- KM.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It's a bit "after the fact", I know...but, it might have helped your case if you had been able to go into court with three months of AA meetings to your credit...maybe even a sponsor to go with you for emotional support. I know this has carried a lot of weight for others in similar circumstances. Even thought it can't compare, it certainly helped me to have my sponsor with me when I went to court for my divorce.

Guess you'll have to rely on your Higher Power to get you through this...hope your lawyer has a good relationship with his Higher Power, too. Hope you manage to "dodge the bullet"...come back to SR and let us know the outcome. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, you did drive drunk so anything you may get is what you deserve. I'm guilty of having driven drunk before and know I would have deserved to be punished.

That being said, please don't drive drunk again...
Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I know it's hard not to worry Katiemay... but try. What's going to happen is going to happen at court no matter how worked up you get. And you'll have to deal with the outcome regardless. It'll probably go better than you're expecting. Good luck and best wishes .
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

*double post*
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't know Florida, but California is pretty cut and dry. Everyone gets the same sentence, unless you kill someone or hurt them really badly.

1st time offense in California is something like a $1400.00 fine, 6 months without a license, 1-2 years summary (not formal) probation, 10 or 12 AA meetings, and a 6 month DUI school that will set you back another $600.00. Sometimes the judge will give 1-2 days jail, but you usually get time served for when you were arrested.

2nd time is a higher fine, longer license revocation, and a 18 month DUI school with more meetings.

3rd time is 6 months jail. ;(

So, now you have an idea what you're facing. The next question is what are you going to do afterwards ? If you’re an alcoholic, DUI # 2 and 3 are right aroound the corner....
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

let us know how it goes, and try not to get ahead of it today - remember, one day at a time.

blessings, k
Old 08-16-2007, 11:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I have 3 DUI's

In Delaware, for the FIRST one, I was considered a "First Time Offender" even though my blood alcohol level of .337 was way too high for me to get that break, don't know how my attorney managed it! Then, not being "scared straight" yet, I got another one 9 months later (I was "controlling" my drinking and thought I could handle driving-on a suspended license, yet.) The next day I drove a friend's car to to the impound where my car had been taken (of course I was drunk, total insanity!) and got stopped again, but since I was considered a First Time Offender in the beginning, the worst thing, other than fines of about $1200.00, was 8 days in jail. When I got out I had to do the breathalizer thing for a couple of months, since I was still "in custody" though I was allowed to be home, but I had to check in with the officers any time I left the house to go to work, etc. During that time I missed my stepsons's wedding-I wasn't allowed to attend because of alcohol being served, even though I begged. It was the most horrible time of my life, yet STILL I drank up until just a few days ago. WHY?!!! Please use your experience to get control of your life. I could have killed myself or someone else and be in jail for vehicular homicide as we speak! My life would be over. Sending love and hope out to you.....
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Katiemay,

I also got my first DUI in May...I am relieved to know that I didn't hurt anyone and I believe it was my bottom...

I am leaving it in Gods' hand...I know you are scared...You will be ok if you don't drink....

Thinking of you...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Question

Katiemay

From my own experience of courts. I ended up in English prison seven times as a result of my alcoholism.
If the court sees that you are making an effort to keep sober, you have a good chance.
Doctor's, key workers etc. reports or letters go a long way. If you tell them you are actively seeking help and own up to being an alcoholic, they may offer you help.
Accept whatever punishment you get, just don't get punished again.
Whatever will be, will be for the best.
Stay sober and the chances are you won't be in court again (for the wrong reasons)
Hope it goes well for you.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi KatieMay,

I know, that at my bottom, I had no faith in anyone or anything either. And, it feels miserable. But, have faith that things will work out as they should. Let us know what happens and remember that I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes katiemay

D
Old 08-16-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
outtahere

Originally Posted by KatieMay View Post
My first DUI, no drugs, but other things involved, like a car accident and cops that seem to be wanting to make this worse than it has to.
You really don't want to poo poo this. It is a serious thing to take the wheel of a 2 ton speeding piece of steel with too much alcohol in you.

Have you ever seen the destruction and human misery those things can do, up close and personal, right after it happens, like the cops do?

I hope you do well in court, but come away with a real determination not to get behind the wheel with too much alcohol in you. Better yet "Don't drink" and you wont have to worry about getting behind the wheel drunk.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
outtahere

Right after I posted here I read this I found in the Alcoholism Forum here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14627442/

When it gets to the graphic part try to picture what the cops have to see.

And she still went out and drank again and was thrown in jail for that too. I am just glad she didn't get behind the wheel when she did.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This quote is from the movie Wall Street - but I have always remembered it when I feel ashamed of my mistakes and it's hard to see an end in sight.

"Man looks in the abyss, there's nothing staring back at him. At that moment, man finds his character. And that is what keeps him out of the abyss."

Sending good vibes your way. Keep your chin up, own up to your mistakes and try your best to never be in this place again.

Daisy