What I like about me

Old 08-16-2007, 04:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

What I like about me

This is a hard one for me, I want to find out what I like about me and what you like about you. The rules are, you can't list anything that would be a codie trait. You have to look deep inside yourself and list your best assets. Brag about yourself a little.

I am a survivor.
I can still wake up in the morning and laugh at myself. Of course it's easier to laugh at others, but what the heck, why not start with myself.
I can find beauty in almost anything, if I get still and look hard enough.
I love animals, preferrably ones smaller than me!

OK, an example of a codie trait that can't be listed: I take care of everyone and everything including the insects in my home that I can't bear to kill because all I can immagine is that poor little spider has a family, so I catch it and turn it loose outdoors.

B
Old 08-16-2007, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Great idea, Frankly. We codies can be so self-critical when we all know that we are truly good people with wonderful traits.

Now, let's see, what do I like about me?

I like that I can assess my situation and do what is best for me, even if others disagree. I can stand for my values, even if I stand alone because today I know who I am and what I stand for and I just happen to like the person I have become.

I like that my vision has become clear and all the beauty that I missed for so many years is obvious to me today. A sunrise, a sunset, birds singing, geese on the water, a flower, a butterfly and the cutest dang cat in the world (yes he IS). I was too preoccupied with the ugliness of addiction that I failed to see all that is good all around me each day.

I like my age...who knew? I'm no spring chicken but there is more life in me today than ever before and I am at a time in my life where I am financially independent and heading for retirement with wonderful dreams of all the things I want to do when I have lots of time to do them, and it really has nothing to do with money, just the love of a life worth living.

And I like most of all, the spirituality I have found, that makes me grateful for all the gifts of recovery and keeps me connected with a light that never goes out. It was this Light that saw me through the darkness and led me to a path of serenity and peace. Thank you, God.

Wheww, that wasn't as hard as I thought.

Hugs
Old 08-16-2007, 05:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

See, it gets easier once we start.

I like the fact that, if I don't know how to do something, fix a car, build a house, survey land, (never brain surgury) but just about anything, I'm willing to experiment and learn how, then I'll jump right in and give it a try. (I have two cars in the graveyard but I also have homes that people actually live in!) Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

B
Old 08-16-2007, 05:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Guess what Ann, I like my age too. I feel like I am more beautiful now, than at 20, wrinkles, worry lines, grey hairs and all. I earned them, I'm proud of them.

B
Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I like that I too am willing to jump in and "get 'er done" when it comes to home repairs and such. I've now done plumbimg, drywall, woodwork, tile and have even replaced a window!

I like that I can think on my feet and trouble shoot easily at work.

I like that through all thats happened, I've not lost my sense of humor.

I like that I'm independent, and capable and at times even wise.

I like that learning comes easily to me ( as in book knowledge ) and that I'm curious always and willing to learn.

So there you have it...my brag book lol
Old 08-16-2007, 05:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

CeCe - doesn't it feel wonderful to be able to do those things? For me, if just gives me this feeling of independance. Counter acts my poor me side.

B
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Where is Splendra? She actually started me thinking about this. She had a dancing avatar once that I loved. I keep singing, what I like about me, I really know how to dance...can't get it out of my head this morning.

Splendra, you better list that you can dance. LOL

B
Old 08-16-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I love Splendra's dancing avatar too, sort of represents how we feel after a little recovery sets in.

I wanted to add to the "doing things" part. I'm the only woman I know with her own toolbox and I love puttering and fixing (isn't that what codies are good at? )

And I love having a sense of humour. One of the first surprises I got when I landed at SR was that I laughed right from the bottom of my belly. I hadn't done that in years and it felt so good. I'll never misplace my sense of humour again.

Gotta go get some work done, but will be peeking in if I can, I love this thread.

Hugs
Old 08-16-2007, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a tool box Ann. And at one point in my recovery, when referance to using our tools, I had this thought that ran through my mind, "yeah, I have a tool for you Mike, it's called a hammer, if only I could just use those tools! Thank the lord I got past those tendancies. LOL

I like that about me, the ability to overcome my negative impulses.

B
Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a great sense of humor. I can even laugh about my as'. I'm a very good listener and I'm there if friends or family need to talk or vent.
I'm also a get 'er done type of person. If I don't know how, then I'll look it up on the internet.
I love creating things, so I'm a crafty type of person.
I'm honest and dependable. I need to stop! My head may start to swell!! Lol
Old 08-16-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

I wanna play too....

1. I like that I have a great knowledge of books. All kinds of genre.
I know authors. Their styles and preferences.

2. I like that I can laugh at myself alot more now that I am older.
I have an envied sense of humor. Yes, envied. lol

3. I like that people can talk to me in confidence and that's as far as it goes.
I don't gossip. People know this about me and come to me often to share.

4. I feel comfortable about my hair. Funny, huh?
I use to be soooo self conscience about my natural curls. I would spend an hour trying to get it under control. Control? Who, me? lol
Now I try different styles and cuts and it's actually become fun.You like?

5. I love the fact that I can come here and say anything. Anything!
I'm not judged. That is very cool!

I love you all and Frankly...

Old 08-16-2007, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Do you realize that we are all very strong, open minded people? We are smart and creative and management material. We can laugh in the face of adversity. I'm beginning to feel empowered, kinda like pinky and the brain, we could overtake the world! LOL

Seriously though, I find it hard to say good things about myself, I've pushed them so far back in my mind, I almost forgot they were there.

Trish, don't worry about getting a swollen head, keep it up, it's something to be proud of. We all deserve to stand in the spotlight of self recognition. It's something we have all deprived ourselves of at some point in our lives.

Happy, you are an angel.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Book - I love the hairdoo! And that hunk of a dancer, can you introduce us? LOL

I love to dance, I am tempted to say I'm not very good at it, but that would be breaking the rules. So I'll say I love the fact that I dance even if I look silly, I don't care what people think.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh the toolbox...I have a girly one for small fixes, and large one for when its serious and an entire cabinet of power tools. My boys laugh...apparently I'm the only mom they know with a saw-zaw. Someone told me long ago its not the knowledege, its having the right tools.

Seriously...I spent years in fear of doing anything because my ex, a very handy man, could have done it better. I now know I need to only please myself

And dancing frankly? I not only dance like the stars I sing like them too...as long as I'm home alone I'm not sure others would agree if performed in public...but who cares right?

A funny story...I attended an african drum dance performance and noticed how in shape the dancers - often middle aged - were. So I popped in a CD at home and made up my own moves. I thought I'd tone up. My youngest son walked in and stood there in shock...he thought I had lost my mind. I had no idea he was behind me.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bookmiser, my hair looks quite alot like yours!! Granny with spikes. Who'da thunk it.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I have a great sense of humor

And I'm a girly girl & I love it!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

all right...yea i can dance I can dance the kids off a hip hop dance floor...I can dance the dancers off the stage at a gay disco...I could go on but, i don't want to sound like I'm a braggin' or not'ing...

I like a lot of stuff about me I don't need nobody to make me feel good about me...I love my friends and my family and my animals who are my family too. I love to work, play, play music, paint, write(have been working on a new song and video that I am going to post on utube) trying my hand at choreography , I love my life
Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
krhea75

I know I need to do this because I really don't want to. I'd rather sit and feel sorry for myself. so I am forcing my fingers to type...

I like that I can stand up for myself and support myself.
I like that my job (teaching teen-agers) is a joy in my life and I don't even mind going back to school next week.
I like that now that I am turning 50 I am comfortable in my skin. I no longer feel the need to be like or look like others. I am me, freckles and all.
I like that I am aware of how much help I need to make it in life. I am not afraid to ask for help anymore like I was at first. I am an honest person.
There, I do feel better.
krhea
Old 08-16-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Come on Japic, give it up, there is more. I want to see you type the words "I am beautiful" because you are you know.

CeCe - I have, small, medium and large tool boxes too, and a sawzall, skill saw, pressure washer, sledge hammer, drills, putty knives, concrete trowels and a whole hardware store of "just in case material" I feel better buying tools than clothes. My kids have walked in on me too and laughed. Now I do sing the happy birthday song out loud to everyone here. Jerry thinks I've lost my mind when I do it.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

splendra - you are presious. I knew you could dance.

krhea - bless your heart for working with teenagers. I love em, but I just couldn't handle it.