Notices

Day off from work: importance of family

Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

Day off from work: importance of family

today i took a mental health day. its my 3rd day off in 14th months (not bad). yesterday my step-mom started kemo for breast cancer. being there is an incredible living amend to make. it feels great to be considered reliable. our "family" has been through alot the past 15 years. but since ive gotten sober, relationships have turned from hate-filled and bitter into extrememly positive and happy. when somebody is down in our family, despite our past, we rally around and show unconditional support/love. when i was in a halfway house getting sober, my family welcomed me back with open arms depsite all the lying, stealing, and irresponsible behavior. now that she is undergoing kemo...i have been there every step of the way. she's going to be fine and we are legitimately a family. a family is an interesting thing. after a while you go through so much that you realize we're all we got. when i hit bottom i had no one to turn to except AA, and when i proved to MYSELF that i was serious...my family soon followed. now that i am doing so well, everyone is quick to welcome me back but i always realize that it went 1) God, 2) AA, 3) family and it wasnt until i was doing financially, physically, and mentally well before everyone else all of a sudden wanted to be in my life.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

great share, chicago. prayers to you and your family, k
Old 08-15-2007, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's wonderful when we can take legitimate time off work - not because we are hungover or just don't feel like going in.
I know what it's like to regain your family's trust, and how good it feels to be seen as reliable.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
L Ron Hoover

Sorry to get here so late, Chicago.

Prayers are with you and your family.

Blessings be,
LRH