Church of the Holy Beer Can

Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Guess what, I'm not crazy.

Church of the Holy Beer Can

I grew up in what I call the church of the holy beer can. Sort of a joke on my part. I call it that because it seems like my mom and now my husband seem to worship the stuff. But being more on the serius side..... I did go to an Asembly of God church before I met my husband but once we got together I stopped. In the last six months We have been going to a catholic church and to be honest...... I'm not sure what I beleive anymore. I do beleive in God and always have, but......

I noticed some people here have mentioned Buddah. Anyone a buddast? I have often wondered about that religion but am not sure where to go to get information on what they beleive. One of the other things that I have always beleived was in Karma. (I think thats a buddast thing) Anyone know what their holy book would be?

BTW, when I owned a bar I wanted to name it the church of the holy beer can and maybe even see if I could write it off. LOL OK, another running joke. (sort of)
D
Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

An Introduction to Zen Buddhism by D.T. Suzuki and Carl Jung and Essays in Zen Buddhism, First Series by D.T. Suzuki and Christmas Humphreys are good starts in my opinion.

I was pleasantly surprised to find how the 12 steps meshed with Buddhism. With the steps I learn to detach; in Buddhism I learn to not attach. Both have helped me in ways I find difficult to describe.

Good luck on your journey.

I also love the writings of Joseph Campbell.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I was a member of the CofTHBC for 27 years;-)

I liked the book 12 Steps On Buddha's Path. (I think that's what it was called) I could relate alot to the concept of enmeshing the Steps and Buddhism.

The simple thing I appreciate most about Buddhism and try to exercise daily is the concept of loving kindness, and doing absolutely nothing to harm your fellow man. Easier said than done for this alcoholic.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can identify with your Church of the Holy Beer Can, lost. I always told my ah that we were being sacrificed on the Alter Of Bud
Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You know the funny thing is I remember as a kid, they used to refer to that demon rum in the movies. I always thought that was stupid. Demon rum.....? Oh Yes!!! I so get it now.

(Who are you and what have you done with my husband?)

I also have to say while I was still drinking it was sort of like someone else was in controle. (Who was that cuz I'd like to kick his/her butt)

Thanks for the feedback and I will check out the books.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

they used to refer to that demon rum in the movies. I always thought that was stupid. Demon rum.....? Oh Yes!!! I so get it now.
I often ponder the meaning of the word "spirits" when referring to alcohol. And, my program is spiritually based. Hmmmmmmm......
Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Spirits as they make you spirited. posessed is more like it!!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just though of something! This would make a great country song! Hmmmmmm

I knew it was time for an intervention, when I found him at the all night cult convention. The sign said, welcome to the church of the holy beer can, where we'll change your life. Yes sir, you wont have to worry any more. Just check your soul at the door and come on in. Why we can make all your worries go away, make you hansome and strong. You should see the lovely ladies who come in around midnight. Aaaaa it's amazing what a little booz will do for yah.

OK I'm a dork. LOL
D
Old 08-15-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

ha!
Old 08-15-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Priceless! Send the lyrics off to Garth, he'll put the music to it;-)
Old 08-15-2007, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Travis Trit has one called (Ten Feet Tall and Bullet Proof) Talks about how whe he drinks he turns into superman. LOL
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am not Buddhist, but I have had a lot of exposure to it and sometimes attend meditation with Buddhist monks. Buddhism focuses on detachment, and that is certainly useful for people like us! It's tough though...I once read a book by the Dalai Lama and he said it is very difficult for Westerners to fully understand detatchment in the Buddhist way. I like to think about it though, because it challenges my mind and makes me realize how as a society, we (Americans) are not only attached to people (esp. us codies) but also material things, ideas, and sometimes even misery! In Buddhism, the cause of suffering is craving, which is really the opposite of detaching. So, yes, I think it works really well with the 12 steps and recovery, since craving is at the heart of addiction and codependency.