Language of Letting Go - August 13

Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - August 13

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Friends

Don't overlook the value of friendship. Don't neglect friends.

Friends are a joy. Adult friendships can be a good place for us to learn to have fun and to appreciate how much fun we can have with a friend.

Friends can be a comfort. Who knows us better, or is more able to give us support, than a good friend? A friendship is a comfortable place to be ourselves. Often, our choice of friends will reflect the issue we're working on. Giving and receiving support will help both people grow.

Some friendships wax and wane, going through cycles throughout the years. Some trail off when one person outgrows the other. Certainly, we will have trials and tests in friendships and, at times, be called on to practice our recovery behaviors.

But some friendships will last a lifetime. There are special love relationships, and there are friendships. Sometimes, our friendships - especially recovery friendships - can be special love relationships too.

Today, I will reach out to a friend. I will let myself enjoy the comfort, joys, and enduring quality of my friendships.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

This reading today reminds me to be grateful for the very special friendships in my life.

I have friends who have known me all my life, my best friend for over 50 years. Although we live far apart and don't share our day to day experiences, we share our history and our hearts. One phone call or visit takes us immediately to that good place where we connect our spirits and our lives.

I have friends in recovery, some I have never met in person, who touch my heart each day and who know me as well or better than some people I have known for years and years.

And I have friends I met here at SR, who I have also met in person, and who I know will always be my sisters in spirit and who have laughed with me, cried with me and walked with me sharing their light when I could not find my own. I treasure these friendships that I would never have found if not for the gifts of recovery.

Just for today, I will say a prayer for my friends, a prayer of gratitude for the miracle that brought us together from all corners of the continent. Today I am grateful to know that I can share anything that is in my heart today and know there are special people who understand.

Hugs to all my special friends here in recovery, for all you do each day to share your light with me and all those who need it.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i do not have a lot of friends. i am quite & on the shy side even for my age. the friends i have are very special to me. i have a close relationship with those who are my friends. one i have been friends with since 5th grade,she is there for everything. i have my friends here at S.R. even tho i have not met you face to face, i feel very close to you & depend on you like i hope you feel as if you depend on me.thank you for always being here for me. our friendship grows as my recovery grows.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
krhea75

Friends are what keeps me going! (besides my hp) I do appreciate the friends on this site and friends at my work and church. God knowshow much I need these friends. Thanks ann for the reminder.
krhea