Score one for grandma and I got some good news

Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Score one for grandma and I got some good news

The other day my son decided that he was going to tell my mom and dad that he was going to drink beer when he was older and it doesn't make you stupid. He knows because his adaddy told him. I know he is an idiot, but anyways... SO he tells my mom this and says it must taste good. My mom who is not a drinker, with out missing a beat says well would you like to try some. Of course he did so she gave him a taste of vinegar. The look on his face said it all. But once he was able to speak again after that shock he said that it is nasty and changed his mind. So hopefully he remembers this.

Ah and I were talking the other day and he tells me that he wants to quit drinking but is going to do it slowly. He then asks me to bear with him while he does it. I of course have agreed, but am not holding my breath. He has slowed down this week but that is no comfort to me since its still happening. SO I'm a pessimest. But I have learned you don't trust an alcoholic until you see it for yourself. I'm just happy he is "trying."

But the best news of all is that my abil is going to be going to jail for 4-5 months. I am so excited! This means I will not have to deal with him being around. Ah and he seem to feed off of one another. SO with ah trying to quit its a blessing. I was hoping they would give him more for being in so much trouble and this being his 8th DUI and not having a liscense since he was a teen. So yea I'm going to be doing a happy dance today. Wooo Hooo!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

8 duis and hes only getting 5 months! Where the heck do you live?
Old 08-10-2007, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your post struck a cord with me tonight. AH's alkie buddy got out of jail today. He was sentenced for 4 months to be let out early and do community service. So when he got out from doing the 4 mos there was a big happy homecoming drunk fest. Then the buddy sits at home for about a month and never shows up to do the community work so the cops pick him up for that and back to jail he went. He got out today. I knew when I got home from work what I'd find. AH put in a hard day drinking with the boys for another homecoming party.

It gets better. This is the same friend that AH hires to "help" him with his work contracts. This man can't work 3 hours without reaching for the bottle. He can barely work past noon and AH pays him the full 8 hours because he's "such a good guy." To really top it off, when one of our apartments came up empty 7 mos ago AH decided to rent it to HIM!!!! And he wonders why we're going bankrupt. It's like living in the twilight zone.

I truly hope recovery is possible for your husband and your family because the progression is so devastating. My AH is in denial and has a wealth of family and friends to enable him. Personally I don't think he could ever hit bottom and if he did, recover from it. But it's up to HP and I just let go and let God. It's long past time to think about me now.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We live in Ohio. Land of the "Get Out of Jail Easily" and "We Give Lite Sentences to Reduce the Jail Population." Yep 4-5 months and that is with them going back on his record over a 10 year span. Now 10 years may seem like alot of time, but if you are getting DUI's and other vechicle violations related to drinking that many years later then its obvious you have a problem, but I don't think the Judges care.

But here is another prime example of the lack of proper sentencing with Ohio Judges. Ah has an aquaintance who is currently serving 2 years in jail for DUI. He has also served a year for DUI in 2005. While in jail in 2005 he lost his son to a drug overdose . At the same time he was on work release and would leave work and get drunk before he went back to the jail. It was an obvious thing, but was never reprimanded until he was almost out of jail. His punishment? They took away the privledge. Oh did I mention that he is now in jail for his 13th DUI? All I can say is at least the public is safe from his for another year and a half.

But I did some research last night when I was looking to see the details of abil's sentence. I found out that the court's total dollar amounts for fines has consistantly gone up but the sentences have not. I looked at several offenders past and present sentences and there is no difference in the sentences unless they killed or harmed someone. So it is true that in an attempt to save tax payer dollars we are letting repeat offenders out to repeat again. I guess it's to much to ask to have them locked up for an extended amount of time and find more jobs for them to do. At least then they would be productive and in a controlled environment.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep focussed on you! Good luck, stay strogn, sending prayer up for you and your family.