I am so happy he didn't drink yesterday!

Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am so happy he didn't drink yesterday!

My AH has said all along he only drinks to help his pain - he does have a pain problem. He can't sleep with the pain so he drinks to sleep. Well the dr. prescribed a sleeping pill and I was shocked that for the first time in at least 8 years (probably more like 10 - 11 years) he did not drink at all yesterday! The sleep medicine works GREAT for him! He has peaceful sleep for 8 or more hours and wakes up feeling rested and even his pain is better since he got good sleep.
I have been totally fed-up with his drinking lately and planned to go to my 1st al-anon meeting this week.
You guys are probably all shaking your heads thinking "this is temporary, he'll be back drinking soon!" - maybe you're right, but I can hope, can't I? Can I be happy for one day? I never thought I'd see it!!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
My Cape Is at The Cleaners

You still need to go to that meeting.
When you do I'd like to hear about it.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go ahead and feel good about this! One step at a time means enjoy the small victories also. It may be that a sleeping pill will lead to new beginning. Being happy for this first step doesn't mean you can't be aware that it isn't the same thing a full recovery.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

If he's been a daily drinker for 8 years, he drinks for many more reasons than to fall asleep. So, I'm one of those folks who's sitting here shaking my head and thinking to myself, "one sober day doesn't prove anything." I pray that I'm wrong, but I hate to see you get your hopes up only to have them dashed tomorrow.

Mr. C. is right. Get thee to an Alanon meeting. You're gonna need it.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Enjoy the each day as it comes ONE DAY AT A TIME, BUT don't stick your head in the sand while you enjoy the day. Start the day with your eyes wide open, with no expectations and determination to take care of yourself and you will do just fine.

Glad you had a happy day, I will pray that you have many more as you take them ONE DAY AT A TIME.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was afraid you guys would say this....I don't know as much about all this as you do. I'm still pretty ignorant about all this stuff, but I know you guys aren't.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

The only thing I know is based on my experience with my alcoholic boyfriend. Your experience with your husband could be different. Based on my experience and what others have shared here over the last three years who have been participating on this forum, the odds certainly seem stacked against him.

I found it easier to stop expecting small victories to become the miracle that I so longed for and learned to live one day at a time. Alanon helped me do that. I hope you find the peace you seek.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Grandma,
I too loved the days when alcohol was not disrupting our lives. Things seemed 'NORMAL"I would say to him this makes me so happy to have peace in our home. He would smile and say yes I know,then a few days later it started all over again. The let down brought me more and more into depression. Finally after finding these boards and seeing him in one bottom after another I realized I needed to save me and my children. If love alone could have saved him he would have been sober years ago. I wish you well, take care of you.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Go to those meetings, be happy about today, but, plan for tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you having a good day!!!

The only other thing I wanted to mention is make sure the docs informed your husband about the dangers of mixing sedatives with alcohol. From what I've read it's a bad combination and can be fatal. He needs to be very careful with that.

You may still want to reconsider Alanon even if your husband quits drinking. I have lots of issues of my own I think the program will help me with.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with the others. Go to an Alanon meeting. They have been lifesavers for me. Been going about a month. My AH has only drank once in the last 5 weeks. I am learning that alanon is about me, not him. There is possibly a reason you are married to an alcoholic. Care to find out what that is? Then go and let us know what you find out.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i also used to be happy for a few days, sometimes even few weeks/month and then right back to the drama.

i think deep down you know that something is wrong, otherwise you wouldn't be here with us.

hopefully he is not replacing or mixing the sedatives with alcohol because they are highly addictive and i don't really understand how any doctor could prescribe those to an alcoholic.

Good Luck!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((((aGrandma)))))

Not the answers you wanted to hear, I'm sure

BUT, enjoy this moment for all it's worth. As a matter of fact, get used to living in the moment. It's how alkies and codies alike learn to live.

That said, I am a recovering alcoholic. Sadly, sleeping pills wouldn't help me. As a mater of fact, I'd chase them with booze to intesify the effect.

I would go to al-anon.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I have been totally fed-up with his drinking lately and planned to go to my 1st al-anon meeting this week.
You guys are probably all shaking your heads thinking "this is temporary, he'll be back drinking soon!" - maybe you're right, but I can hope, can't I? Can I be happy for one day? I never thought I'd see it!!
So sorry you are going through this too AGrandma

You can hope no can take that away-

IMHO I think we are all shaking our head with prayers to you that you will take care of yourself-(I believe we all know the answer if he will drink again) it is not up to us to know that, it is up to you to accept that and realize that you did not cause it, cannot cure it and cannot control it but you can do a pretty important thing take care of yourself.

That meeting sounds let a great start to taking care of you!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lady BlueMiles View Post
I'm happy for you having a good day!!!

The only other thing I wanted to mention is make sure the docs informed your husband about the dangers of mixing sedatives with alcohol. From what I've read it's a bad combination and can be fatal. He needs to be very careful with that.

.....or switching addictions.

Does his doctor know (1) much about addiction and (2) that your husband is an alcoholic? (My FIL,who is a doctor, has both alcohol issues and has been hooked on pain medication for back pain once in the past and then just recently [he may still be for all I know] at the age of 83y. To him an "alcoholic" is a skid-row bum.)

Best of luck to you both.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
let it grow!

meetings really help. blessings, k