Notices

Feeling Better. Very Dangerous

Old 08-07-2007, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Better. Very Dangerous

So i am starting to feel so much better and now I am trying to convince myself that I can drink again. I know this is wrong, but I can't shake the craving.

I went to the grocery store today for the first time since i stopped drinking 9 days ago and i had to wrestle with myself to stop myself from going down the beer aisle. It's hot and sunny and it's the perfect time for a beer or a wine cooler.

I made it out of the store and now i am at home wishing i had picked up some Mikes Hard Lemonade. AAAAAHHH

I don't know what will happen. I am struggling.

Karen
Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Remember your last drunk. The worse it was, the better.

Play the tape all the way through. Yes, it'll be great, for about 8 minutes. Then ? Who knows......

Remember also that most likely it'll start another bender. Benders don't always end up with simple hangovers. Loss of job, jail, death......

9 days is tough. Hang in there, it gets beter.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Karen,

Yes-it's a dangerous time and I understand.It sounds simple but truly-'Just don't drink' is what I want to tell you.My alcoholic voice often tells me the same thing 'You're good now-one won't hurt-you can always go back to being sober later' but it's all BS.If I have one-I'll have 20.

All I can suggest to you is-get busy.Sitting down and 'relaxing' for me didn't work-I'd really crave then-I had to do something be it-go for a walk, clean the house-anything other than do what I used to do when I was drinking.

I know it's really hard-but the craving will pass.Take it minute by mionute if you have to.You can do this-you've come this far.

Thinking of you,

Jules xox
Old 08-07-2007, 03:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am trying. Taking it one minute at a time. It is so hard.

Thank-you for responding. I need to get through this.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey karen yes remember that "feeling" once the nauseau the sick feeling guilt etc has gone then your rearing to go again. But lets face it us alkies cant stop at one or two glasses its normally one or two bottle later and we kid ourselves that we can just have "one" nope otherwise we wouldnt be here would we? if we could control our drinking. Im week three and still get the odd craving as glassprisoner said remember the last time? the day after the feeling of the hangover. If its a lovely day get busy go and see a non drinking friend read a book go for a walk go for some retail therapy buy yourself something not booze then feel good that what you have bought will last longer than booze :0)
thinking of you
Ang
Old 08-07-2007, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Mice, imagine how horrible you will feel tomorrow when you wake up feeling crap, how much you will regret it.

And believe me-it gets easier!

People said it to me so often the words lost all meaning LOL.

I am at 30 odd days now and it is SO much easier now than it was and it has been for quite a while too..I hope the words have meaning!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Karen
I'm not gonna add anything much - it's all been said.

Just take a deep breath. You're like me, like all of us. There's no such thing as just one drink anymore. We all passed that fork a ways back. Don't let your addict voice feed you bullsh*t.

Keep busy. Drink soda. take it minute by minute if you need. Just don't drink.
It's poison to ya.

You can do this.
D
Old 08-07-2007, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I forgot something...eat chocolate!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and hope you're hangin' in there! You've done SOOOO well, girl!

First off, I felt MISERABLE after I gave in -- literally, but also figurately. I let myself down. iF I ever end up weighing my options again before I drink, I made a promise that if i'm anywhere near a computer -- I should read my posts again... Could you try that?

You've worked so hard to get rid of those nightmares, to get some real good sleep to get through those afternoons... You've helped me, too, Karen.

Whatever your status right now, know that i'm routing for you.

BIG HUGS going out to you, like you sent them to me...

L

PS. I've got to run after our four month old golden right now, but I'll be back later. I'm home alone now, and having her around is good for me! lol
Old 08-07-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am opening up a bag of mint milanos.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks Liz.

I am eating cookies and starting to make dinner for my kids. Hopefully that will get me through the roughest hours.

I'm glad you have some company tonight. 4 month old Labs are a handful.

Karen
Old 08-07-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good, Karen.You're doing great.We're all here with you.It'll pass-promise.

and hey-I have a 3 yr old golden retriever-Merlin.He's my 'baby'

Jules xox
Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Jules. I'm hoping this will pass.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It will Karen.I'm really proud of you for getting this far.You can do it!

Jules xox
Old 08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mmmmm. Mint Milanos. Now you're making my mouth water...

Making dinner for the kids should really keep you busy! Your children are quite young, right? omg. I miss those days -- when they were little. (I've got four -- between 12 and 18)

I'll tell you one thing -- I just WISH I'd come across this board when they were little. I feel so much guilt for having not been 100% THERE for them. Oh, I read to them, played with them, did a lot. But now that I've experienced being sober for longer than a day or two at a time, I realize just how much I actually may have missed. Hard to explain.

Anyway -- Karen -- they're lucky that you're trying now. Enough. Enjoy THEM tonight!

Jules -- Goldens are so goofy, aren't they? I was contemplating trying to take Lucy out for a walk around the neighborhood with our 5 year-old male Reilly. Then I took a moment, and thought again. I could picture getting insanely tangled between the little whirling dervish and my bigger, but quite excitable (when it comes to walks) boyfriend!

She's chewing feverishly on a puppy bone, hence my being allowed to respond!
Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Liz-just posted to you in your thread-LOL

Puppy bones are great 'baby sitters'! I used to despair of Merlin EVER calming down-but he did(although he's still quite naughty sometimes-LOL)

Glad you're here with us

Jules xox
Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One other thing...

Dee suggested soda. I like Fresca; is it you Karen who drinks it too?

And Stone suggested chocolate...

Are there foods or drinks that you (or others) that satisfy the initial craving? Guess it's different for everyone, but hey!

I tend to gravitate to diet tonic water with slices of fresh lime. Never really liked it before, but it helped me the time I succeeded for longer than three weeks.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

right you lot youve convinced me to go out when soph has woke from her nap and get some extremly fattening chocolate lol , actually since Ive stopped drinking Ive lost about 7 kgs!! oh and I think theres nothing cuter than a four month old labbie we have a 12 year olf lab and hes a lovely patient chap with the kids.
at least today there is SUN the last few weeks have being horrid rain rain and rain!!
take care
Ang
Old 08-07-2007, 05:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Still hanging in. Dinner is in the oven and half a bag of cookies are gone. Yes it is me who loves Fesca. I hated it in the 70's when my mom drank it.

My kids are 11 and 14 months. I also feel guilty about not being the best possible mom to my son. Like you Liz I did all of the right things for him and i was and always am there, but i know that a lot of my energy was focussed on when my next drink was going to be. Sad but true. i am trying to do it differently for my daughter.

I am a carb eater. Pasta, potatoes things like that, but every time i quit drinking i get a very big sweet tooth. I usually don't crave sweets at all. Must be all of the withdrawal from the sugar in the alcohol.

I am also a dog lover. We have a border collie/pitbull mix named Peanut. We rescued her from the pound about 5 years ago when she was 18 months old. She has a lot of fears but is a gentle soul.

Thanks for listening you guys. this is really helping me.

K
Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I never had a sweet tooth either till I stopped drinking.I adore pasta though-always will-LOL

You rescued Peanut?That's awesome-I have so much time for people who do that.I run a dog minding business in my home-see all kinds of dogs-love them all!

You are doing great Karen-I'm so proud of you for not picking up.Well done!

Jules xox