Suboxone

Old 08-06-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone

Does anyone know anything about Suboxone? What is your input on this?

Thanks...........Lo
Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

By no means would I take our experience as a typical example....but when my husband went into detox to gain control of his pain meds, they attempted to have him switch to suboxone so he can have some relief while his neurons where healing. The idea was that we would them implant a pain pump to control the pain, and he could deal with the addiction issue. Well, the desire for the 'high' (or in his situation the desire to be 'checked out into la la land so he doesn't have to deal with his reality) was stronger. The suboxin did not work.....but like all things, if the person isn't ready or willing, nothing will work.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

http://www.naabt.org/ Lobo, This is a website that you can get info on sub. They will also mail info to you. Hope it helps. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-06-2007, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Detox tried my daughter on it for 2 days, made her very sick. It is used alot, but sometimes you have to detox off of it, for others it is a miracle drug.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

On the substance abuse forum I believe some people are on sub. IMHO its still an opiate and I have heard after long term use of this its VERY hard to detox off of.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Lobo~

My son has successfully detoxed with suboxone, which is *generally* considered safer and easier to be weaned from than methadone. Not always, of course. It's a version of Bupe(canot spell the rest) which iin its original form was harder to detox from than suboxone...

It can also be prescribed on an outpatient basis by a doctor in his/her office.

But...and here comes the big but... there is this one little ....nagging.... thing.

It can make detoxing very easy. Too easy, maybe.

My son has used it to avoid withdrawal coming off a binge weekend, or even "mild" use of opiates the night before. He just gets up takes the suboxone and goes to work, as tho he is not a quacking druggie of the first order.

Suboxone lets him avoid being dope-sick. I don't know how widespread that is, or whether Josh is just creative in an idiotic druggie way, but that's the biggest concern I have had with it. So Josh is still on opiates, both ways: legal (suboxone) and illegal (who knows what). He doesn't want detox. He just wants to do dope with fewer side effects.

Hmm- and here in South Florida, the addiction & recovery cycle capital of the world, docs almost always want cash, not insurance, and a fairly large chunk...there is a federal web site linked to this one which tells which docs are allowed to prescribe.

That said, it is a huge step forward in detoxing.

((((many momish hugs)))) ~ nitelite
Old 08-06-2007, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nite, Thanks for the info. I heard it has helped a lot of people to get their lives in order. My son was just telling me about a guy he knows that was was trying to get off of heroin and couldn't do it. He ended up in jail for quite sometime. When he came out he got on suboxone and he just finished college and he became a drug and alcohol counselor. He said he is really doing well.
My daughter has a doc app. tomorrow at noon. I didn't have anything to do with it.
She made her own app. and she asked me for a ride. I hope it works out for her.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Marle, Thank you for the web address. I checked it out. Very informative.

Lo
Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lobo,

I don't know what that web site said, but I want you to know that my sister tried suboxone... and it worked well when she used it. The problem is that suboxone creates a high as well, so it can be sold on the streets just like any other substance. The pharmacist even said that they keep very little of it in stock because it is such a theft risk. It can be traded for another doc, sold for cash like anything else, or one can even OD on it too...

and I know that many people are successful with it, but just keep in mind, it is not foolproof.

Good luck!

*hugs and prayers*
Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lo, I've got your daughter in my prayers...I hope it is her time. Good for her, doing it on her own with no push!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lord knows I am far from an expert, but on the suboxone issue here goes:

My Abf used them in place of heroin when he didn't have the means. He did get high off of them and he did detox from them. The addictive behavior was present in his seeking and taking the pills.

I also know of a "local" who sells them on the street like hotcakes. they are definitly used and abused and there is a market for them like any other pill on the streets. Addicts sell the pills and use the money for their drug of choice.

It is like any other drug - it can be used for good...or evil.

Anyone's best bet is to be sober---completely sober. NO crutch- meetings and do the work
Old 08-07-2007, 08:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

So I am not so sure if I like her being on this or not. If she is sentenced to rehab at her hearing on Sept. 6th I don't think she'll be able to be on this drug. Around here I don't think any of the rehabs allow this drug. Rehab wants you to be off of everything. This remains to be seen. I am all for it if it helps people. I remember when she was on methadone...........I hated her on that. She slept all of the time. She still had no quality of life. I don't like her being on anything. The way I see it if you want to get well, you will use it the way it is supposed to be used.
It remains to be seen if she can do that. I also do not think the doc will keep you on it for a long time. The way I understand.......you have to taper it down and then get off of it. It is not like methadone........that is something you can stay on.

Just not feeling real comfortable with this..............Lo
Old 08-07-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lo, I know that one of hardest parts of sobriety for an opiate addict is the feeling of lethargy that they experience when they are not using. I know that my daughter said that she used oxy because it gave her energy and I have read the same from other addicts. When they stop using they are depressed and have no energy for life. Suboxone if used correctly can give them back some of that energy and can help with cravings. Used long term it is extremely difficult to get off of. But it is still your daughter's choice. Mine used it back in December. Bought it off the streets. It was more expensive than her DOC and the abf did not have the money to keep her supplied. Addict also will keep some on hand to avoid withdrawals when they can't get their supply of opiates. It is a double-edged sword in my opinion. For some a miracle, for others hell. Hugs, Marle
Old 08-07-2007, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lobo, you are correct, though, in that most rehabs won't let patients use suboxone, since it is an opiate. They usually want you to detox somewhere else first, and then come to them once the detox is complete. That way there is really no immediate need for the suboxone... they did allow my sister to use certain sleep aids and anxiety meds though... is your daughter using anything like that? They worked wonders for my sister...
Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Lady, No she is not currently using any type of meds. I think if she was on the right type of meds for anxiety and bi-polar she would probably be on the right path.
Of course instead of doing it the right way, she choses to self-medicate all of the wrong ways. The shame of it is......I can't do a damn thing about it because she will do as she pleases. She will not listen to me.

And the beat goes on........
Old 08-07-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Marle, It definitely is her choice. Like so many other things it makes me uncomfortable. Today I am just feeling like there is no light at the end of this long dark tunnel. You name it and she has tried it. I have supported all of her decisions when it comes to her recovery. I just don't know anymore.

Thanks for helping me...........Lo
Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I went onto the substance abuse forum and I got all positive input about the suboxone. The ones that responded told me it really helped them a lot. I am so unsure..........but it is not my descision to make anyway.

Just wanted to let you know.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You only want what is best for her. At least she is thinking and taking a baby step toward her own sanity/recovery. Hope for the best...she is trying!

Another name for suboxone is buprenorphine, buprenex. My AD counselor told her if she ever had surgery or needed pain meds on take buprenoprhine. I am looking in the PDR and Suboxone 2mg buprenorphine and and 0.5 naloxone; or 8mg/2mg. It helps pain but doesn't interfere w/ their addictive receptors in their brain--it doesn't latch on and create craving or addiction. Or that is what he told us, and he was an addict for 20 years.

love ya,
susan

Last edited by caileesnana; 08-07-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My A decided to get on Suboxone 3 days after he left rehab. That was on a Thursday, the following Tuesday he had to go in for a check-up (they test you constantly to make sure you are actually taking the pills-they even have you bring the bottle in so they can count the pills). He had a blood test and a urine test done and none was found in his system. The doctor asked him if he had been selling them, of course he said no. Needless to say, when he went back on that Friday the doctor told him to never come back again and if he needed help to go back to rehab. That was my experince with Suboxone.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzieq1972 View Post
... when he went back on that Friday the doctor told him to never come back again and if he needed help to go back to rehab. That was my experince with Suboxone.
Wow-they can just do that with no reason-or did your A maybe leave some details out? My husband is starting suboxone in 3 weeks and I'm excited and nervous at the same time-I will have to make sure he doesn't mess this opportunity up!