Emotional Truth

Old 05-24-2003, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Emotional Truth

"We have a feeling place (stored emotional energy), and an arrested ego-state within us for an age that relates to each of those developmental stages. Sometimes we react out of our three-year-old, sometimes out of our fifteen-year-old, sometimes out of the seven-year-old that we were.
If you are in a relationship, check it out the next time you have a fight: Maybe you are both coming out of your twelve-year-olds. If you are a parent, maybe the reason you have a problem sometimes is because you are reacting to your six-year-old child out of the six-year-old child within you. If you have a problem with romantic relationships maybe it is because your fifteen-year-old is picking your mates for you.

The next time something does not go the way you wanted it to, or just when you are feeling low, ask yourself how old you are feeling. What you might find is that you are feeling like a bad little girl, a bad little boy, and that you must have done something wrong because it feels like you are being punished.

Just because it feels like you are being punished does not mean that is the Truth.

Feelings are real - they are emotional energy that is manifested in our body - but they are not necessarily fact.

What we feel is our "emotional truth" and it does not necessarily have anything to do with either facts or the emotional energy that is Truth with a capital "T" - especially when we our reacting out of an age of our inner child.

If we are reacting out of what our emotional truth was when we were five or nine or fourteen, then we are not capable of responding appropriately to what is happening in the moment; we are not being in the now."

Robert Burney
Old 05-24-2003, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I found this interesting...not lightbulb quality...but very interesting.

I am thinking of my "reaction" when the boss says "Can we talk?"

An argument with my husband.

Not getting my way.

An argument with my son.

Getting cut off in traffic.

Oh I can think of lots of things!

Hugs,
JT
Old 05-24-2003, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

I can tell you that most of my reactions came from my 4 year old 7 year old and my 10 year old.

At 4 I was put in closets for hours and spanked so hard that I had bruises. I watched terrible domestic violence. I hid in the kitchen cupboard to feel safe. My mother left me with my father all of the time and only took my two sisters with her. I became the boy that my father wanted and didn't get. I was always alone and blamed for everything by my mother and sisters. I was forced to put on boxing gloves and fight with my sisters and so on. There was no love, no hugs, no anything. I was hit if I didn't hold my fork right and after always being spanked so hard we were spanked again if we didn't breathe right when we were crying so hard. This set me up for great emotional pain throughout my life and a search for love in any way I could get it. The good thing though is I developed a real relationship with my higher power at age 4. He was there for me. I can't think back without seeing him sitting there right by me. In my late 30's I remembered and connected with my 4 year old and was healed of most of the damage. The great pain was healed and I found love from my HP. Before then I cried everyday for about 25 years.

At age 7 my brother was born and I was immediately rejected. I was a lost child. My small place in the family was taken from me. This was devastating to me. I'm still dealing with the 7 year old reactions, but not as intense as it used to be. I'm sensitive when I feel rejected and have a hard time with criticism. I was totally abandoned and alone. My fear of abandonment started then.

At 10 I was raped and it started my shame and self hatred. That was the ultimate wrong that I did and I couldn't tell anyone so I burried it. This set the stage for picking abusive men and relationships that were full of rejection.

I can say that my 4 year old has been healed. My seven and ten year old have had a lot of healing but the reactions that I have still stem from there. These reactions have been a great tool for me to learn more about my higher power so they have served a purpose.

I still have some connections to make, but I know that with the help of our higher power we can nurture and heal and face the terrors of our inner children and I got to watch God perform miracles in me when he shined his light inside me and showed me what was there. I will never forget that and will be forever grateful.

Hugs,
MG