Do you know of anyone who went to Narconon?

Old 08-05-2007, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you know of anyone who went to Narconon?

Has anyone had experience with Narconon? I am so distraught. My 20 year old nephew was using heroin. I talked with him and urged him to seek help, rehab. My sister and family did a big intervention today. They wanted a holistic based program and chose a Narconon facility. This morning I realized it was a Scientology based program. I've been researching all day. I am sick with worry for my nephew.
He agreed to get help and is on the way to this place. I tried to educate my sister and husband, but they were not interested in changing course. If you have been, or know of others' experience with Narconon, please tell your story.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr

I am so glad that your nephew agreed to get help. He will have a long road ahead of him, but getting into some kind of facility is a huge step!

I don't know much about Narcanon, but I would try to be glad that he is getting some kind of help, any kind of help... at least each day he is there is another day he is not using, right?

Something important to remember, too: He is 20 years old. That means that the choice of what facility he is in is not up to his parents, it is entirely up to him and him alone. If things aren't working out there, perhaps he will find his way to a place that will work better.

*hugs and prayers*
Old 08-06-2007, 04:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I too have heard good and bad about Narconon recovery programs. They are indeed, Scientology owned and personally not my preference, yet they have as good or better success rate as other recovery programs, so who am I to judge.

What I have found is that it is the willingness of the person entering these programs to get clean and stay clean that matters more than the structure or philosophy of the program itself. Sometimes just being in a safe, clean and professionally supporting environment can make the difference.

My prayers go out for your nephew, that he finds a better path no matter what kind of program he chooses.

Hugs
Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

I don't like that they hide their Scientology connection and that they took the name Narconon intentionally because it sounds like the legitimate self-help, non-profit group Naranon.

I also could not figure out their process for rehab... if vitamins worked, addiction would be beat long ago.

I like the Minnesota Medical Model... used at many rehabs and usually in conjunction with Narcotics Anonymous (NA) or Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and modeled much like a very successful rehab, in that state - Hazelden.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for your posts. I just went to a meeting and feel better. Amazing how "the solution" works. I know I am powerless and his parents made this decision. I will "let it go" as often as it takes. I am unsure how to respond to my family, as they are all excited about his rehab. Of course, they are uneducated and uninformed about the Scientology connection. Except, my brother-in-law who seems ok with it.. even though they are a Christian family. I am going to have to work on what appears to be a growing resentment towards my family. It angers me, because if there was one thing they should have thought I had a clue about... it would be addiction and recovery. Just goes to show how powerless I really am. That sucks! And here I thought I was going to have another member in the program (I have long thought it would be other members tho') Oh well, still the lone ranger in the family. I will pray my nephew finds the care and recovery he needs. Thanks for your support!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
'Round and 'Round I Go....

I haven't had any personal experiences with Narcanon but I researched it as a possibility. Yes it's Scientology based and their teachings will most probably be Scientology but the overall program sounds really positive. One belief that drug residue gets deposited in our fatty tissue and over time it releases itself causing someone who may have been clean for years to relapse because of cravings. So they put you through this detoxification. Sounds beneficial even if you're not an addict...you know...to cleanse your body of even environmental toxins.
I hope it works.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, 42 - don't know anything about that program, but any help is good.

what about you and rest of the family - thinking about attending naranon or alanon, for yourselves?

blessings, k
Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Why be sick with worry? Scientology is bad because????

I have read their literature I found some of their concepts to be interesting. I love to look at things from different angles though. They have helped many people with addiction issues.

Some people do not like AA's way. I think in a nutshell AA says addiction is a spiritual problem and narconnon says it is behavioral. I suppose for some people it is one or the other and for some it is both....
Old 08-06-2007, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
grateful rca

HI 42, glad to meet you. i don' t know much about that program, but i do think that it is good that he is willing to go for help. i pray that he finds his way and i'm keeping you and your family in my prayers
Old 08-07-2007, 05:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Narconon

I went to Narconon & it worked for me. There's no need to worry as far as I'm concerned. Scientology is never mentioned and the program works.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

welcome to S.R. i am glad you are here. you are not alone ,we are a group that can help you find your way & recovery for yourself. i am glad your nephew is in rehab. i do not know anything about that place but i agree,he is getting help. i am also glad you got to a meeting.i am saying a prayer for your nephew,you & his family.keep coming back & let us know how things are going.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

I would suggest visiting the narcotics addiction board, just two steps above this one. They could help you.