Notices

Very Rough Day

Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very Rough Day

Hi Everyone

I had a very hard day today. I am on day 4 and was ok this morning but I knew once the early afternoon rolled around that i would be having a rough time. I had no idea how hard it was going to be. Early and mid afternoon are my favorite times of day to drink. I didn't think that i was going to make it. I started sweating and almost got in the car to go to the store.

It is 8:00pm now and i feel fine again, but i am now so scared about tomorrow. I know that if i can make it past 6:00 or 7:00 I will be fine for the day, but that little voice comes out at around 12:30 in the afternoon and temps me so badly.

I cried and cried and really didn't know how i was going to handle it. I luckily got some at home computer work assigned to me just in the nick of time and that lasted until 6:00pm. I was saved!!

I know i should be happy to have made it through the day, but i am now just so worried about tomorrow. When that little voice comes back, i don't know how to stop the desire.

Well, thanks for listening. Day 4 is almost gone and tomorrow will be another challenge.

Karen
Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by micepod View Post

It is 8:00pm now and i feel fine again, but i am now so scared about tomorrow. I know that if i can make it past 6:00 or 7:00 I will be fine for the day, but that little voice comes out at around 12:30 in the afternoon and temps me so badly.

.... made it through the day,
Hello Karen

Today has proven to you that you can handle it. Don't go worrying about tomorrow till tomorrow gets here.

Enjoy the moment of today.

You did great. Congratulations on day 4.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You did great deal with tomorrow same way you did today just dont drink.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Raised from the Dead

ok this is one of the most valuable lessons you're learning right now. this is a one day at a time program. i never worry about tommorow (i could be drunk for all i know). all we have to do is stay sober TODAY. thats it!!! when tommorow gets here, deal with it then. but right now just stay sober for this minute. sometimes ive taken it one minute at a time. im not going to drink at this exact minute.

in AA we dont have to commit to staying sober for any period of time...just today. you'll never hear me say "ill never drink again" because i dont know if i will or not. all i do know is that im not going to drink today.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Job, Karen!

Keep it up. The last time I tried the first week or two was the hardest, because
every day went SOOOOO slowly. I made it 25 days, and I felt so good.

I found that logging on here to post or to lurk for a bit helped me get through the tough parts of my day. When I couldn't check in, I just kept trying to convince myself not to ruin my sober streak.

My time is from 5 until 11PM. That's when I want to drink the most, especially when my husband gets home from work and pours himself one to wind down. I went out and bought every lower calorie, appealing liquid I could get my hands on so that I could keep sipping while he did.

I did well, like I said, and then slipped. I'm back again, trying to feel proud of myself again. This forum helps so much.

Check in tomorrow so we can touch base, ok?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Carpe Diem

You're doing the right thing! Don't think about tomorrow, there isn't anything you can do about it. I am on day 45 because I followed the advice that others gave me--don't use or drink no matter what. Everything else falls into place. I know all about hours when I would get high and how that time is a trigger for me. There isn't anything I can do about it except not use, work the steps, find a sponsor and go to meetings. It is saving me one day at a time. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to take it one day at a time or even one hour at a time.

I'll figure out how to deal with tomorrow, tomorrow.

I am looking forward to waking up tomorrow and not feeling sick. I hope i can sleep.

Karen
Old 08-02-2007, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there Karen. Your doing good. Lots of good advice on here. What I'm doing that's helped a lot is changed what i drink at those crucial times. I now drink flavored water. I never had it before I quit drinking. Now I'm addicted to them. But at least its a healthy drink and tastes good too. I even take them to my meetings instead of drinking coffee. Some of my meetings don't have decaf and I stopped drinking anything with caffeine at night so i can sleep better.

Just take it One day at a time.

Barb
Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Karen, today is my day four. Your craving at a specific time every day sounds similar to a lot of us. My time is just after work in the evening and during yard work on a hot day. So far I've been okay with Diet Coke and water. Let us know how you are on your day 5....
Old 08-03-2007, 06:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
let it grow!

keep it real simple. and have a plan for getting through the cravings. my daughter sucks hard candy, that seems to help her...

hugs and support, k
Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

It gets easier as the days add up...take it one day,one hour,one minute at a time if you have to. Come here, start cleaning, sit in the tub and have a good cry. Just don't pick up!!!!

I know that you can do it!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by micepod View Post
Hi Everyone

I had a very hard day today. I am on day 4 and was ok this morning but I knew once the early afternoon rolled around that i would be having a rough time. I had no idea how hard it was going to be. Early and mid afternoon are my favorite times of day to drink. I didn't think that i was going to make it. I started sweating and almost got in the car to go to the store.

I cried and cried and really didn't know how i was going to handle it. I luckily got some at home computer work assigned to me just in the nick of time and that lasted until 6:00pm. I was saved!!

I know i should be happy to have made it through the day, but i am now just so worried about tomorrow. When that little voice comes back, i don't know how to stop the desire.

Well, thanks for listening. Day 4 is almost gone and tomorrow will be another challenge.

Karen

I am on day 10...I went through the same...the first 4 -5 days were the worst......it DOES get better........it does....you know what to do..keep busy...make busy work for yourself if you have to..today is my every other friday off, always a day when I strated early like...uhmm right now at 700 am.....no one at home..I could go get a bottle and blow it..but I am taking a 25 mile ride to class I signed up for every other friday to get myself out of the house..being here alone can get to me....I post on the computer early, becasue I am an ealry riser... and at 1000 and am out of here until 400 pm when my wife comes home....I'll Mall walk after the class, maybe look for an early AA meeting..around 100 or 200 .anything....grab a book go to a park..anythiing..you are making progress.....you are, and you know what to do....stay occupied...

be well -talk to you tomorrow when you have passed day 5.....
Old 08-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Karen,

You're doing all the right things. I'm glad you didn't drink. Welcome to day 5.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have made it to day 5. Wow

I had very little sleep because my 14 month old daughter couldn't sleep well. I was up and down most of the night. I wish i would have slept better because now i am cranky.

I do feel good to have woken up without a hangover though. Although my hangovers were so everyday that they just felt normal. I feel more clear headed i guess and lighter on my feet. Not dragging.

I will try and keep busy today and do whatever it takes to get through my rough hours.

Thanks so much for all of your well wishes. They are helping me get through this.

My husband bought me lots of diet soda. I guess i will be drinking Fresca all day. LOL

Deep Breaths!!

K
Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Deep breaths and keep in the moment Mice. If you get a craving, try to remember all the bad stuff, the reasons why you have quit.

Dont believe the 'voice' when it tells you just one day of drinking will be OK (it WONT be one day) and never forget this disease will happily kill you.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
let it grow!

you're doing great, micepod!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, Karen. It's sounds like you've got a supportive partner and a daughter who needs you. I'm glad you're here with us and working hard to stay sober.

Row
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hang in there, it tends to get better over time.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Early Afternoon

I know this is your tough time of day, so I thought I'd check in and tell you that I'm thinking of you and trying to send good vibes your way!

Sometimes it's easy to give in when you're tired, but keep thinking of how light on your feet you felt this morning...

Give the little one a hug.

Poke around the forum when she naps a bit, if you can. It's helped me so much.

BTW -- I LOVE FRESCA!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I was going to suggest what Newleaf just did... hang out on here when you get to the difficult part of your day. This place helped me get through my early days and still does. Welcome too btw .