Notices

Sooo... I'm kinda new here.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sooo... I'm kinda new here.

I haven't lurked yet. Thought about it. Thought against it and decided to post instead. I could lurk forever and ever. That won't get me anywhere.

I'm just kind of stumbling through the days right now. I am a sahm to two beautiful, demonic children. I have absolutely no sense of myself and virtually no coping skills. Over a year ago I started taking effexor, and after 5.5 years of a comfortable sobriety (I was a heavy drinker towards the end of school) I became suicidal and started to drink to numb myself. For the past 8 months almost I've been drunk more days than sober.

I used to think I was a 'normal' drinker. I knew when to stop, before I got too drunk or anywhere near sick. Lately I've been blacking out after a drinking fest and my behaviour has been despicable. I look at what my life has become and wonder why the hell I'm still sitting on the fence trying to decide to be sober and at the same time rationalizing continuing to drink.

How do you get off the fence? How do you hit that "ready to get better" threshhold? I look at my kids and think they should be more than enough for me to want to get better. Hell, *I* should be more than enough for me to want to get better.

*shrugs*
Just trying to figure all this out for myself, and say hey because I'm sure I'll be hanging around these forums lots.

Cheers,
Deliza
Old 07-30-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi deliza,

You have to begin to like and love yourself. At least for me, I had to truly, deeply believe that I was worth it. I had done so much for my kids and my husband and never bothered to give myself the caring that I needed. If you believe you are worth it, you can move forward and live a sober life.

I'm glad you joined us!
Old 07-30-2007, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Deliza,

I'm very glad that you decided to join us. Welcome. I was drinking heavily when my kids were young, and despised myself for it.

I understand what it's like to drink to numb yourself. I understand suicidal. And I take anti depressants, too. I can't believe that I'm sober and clean today, and the thing is, this gift is there for anyone who wants it, who will work for it.

Please keep posting. Others will be along to welcome you soon.

Rowan
Old 07-30-2007, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I pulled off your wings ...

Originally Posted by deliza View Post
I haven't lurked yet. Thought about it. Thought against it and decided to post instead. I could lurk forever and ever. That won't get me anywhere.

I'm just kind of stumbling through the days right now. I am a sahm to two beautiful, demonic children. I have absolutely no sense of myself and virtually no coping skills. Over a year ago I started taking effexor, and after 5.5 years of a comfortable sobriety (I was a heavy drinker towards the end of school) I became suicidal and started to drink to numb myself. For the past 8 months almost I've been drunk more days than sober.

I used to think I was a 'normal' drinker. I knew when to stop, before I got too drunk or anywhere near sick. Lately I've been blacking out after a drinking fest and my behaviour has been despicable. I look at what my life has become and wonder why the hell I'm still sitting on the fence trying to decide to be sober and at the same time rationalizing continuing to drink.

How do you get off the fence? How do you hit that "ready to get better" threshhold? I look at my kids and think they should be more than enough for me to want to get better. Hell, *I* should be more than enough for me to want to get better.

*shrugs*
Just trying to figure all this out for myself, and say hey because I'm sure I'll be hanging around these forums lots.

Cheers,
Deliza

ello ello dear

stay around we are here for you
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah your kids should be enough to get sober.But if you are anything like me it wasnt enough.I loved my kids and wife best I knew how I could buy them just about whatever they wanted I thought that was love and it kept them off my back so I could spend time wiyh my misstress alcohol my first true love and who loved me back.she insisted I spend most off my time with her so family was pushed on down the line.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by baggervance View Post
Yeah your kids should be enough to get sober.But if you are anything like me it wasnt enough.I loved my kids and wife best I knew how I could buy them just about whatever they wanted I thought that was love and it kept them off my back so I could spend time wiyh my misstress alcohol my first true love and who loved me back.she insisted I spend most off my time with her so family was pushed on down the line.

hey bagger
thank god you broke up with your mistress...
Old 07-30-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How's Jen today?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah bagger I feel ya. And that's what I do understand, doing it for someone else just isn't going to work for me either. I have to do it for myself. I just have to get to that place of wanting
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. It feels good to be in a place where I'm understood, as opposed to judged, lectured or babysat.
*hugs*
Old 07-30-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How's Jen today?

good! Started the med detox.. he is weening me off the hydro by lowering my dose. He said that me going cold turkey was not a good move. In fact.. I had seizure this morning while sleeping so im glad i got to the docs today.. but im feeling good now and my brother had my meds so i cant get at em

what about you?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

great good for you!BIG BEAR HUGS FROM BAGGERVANCE!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

yay!!! *does a happy dance*
ive never been so happy then tonight in a long time
im glad so so glad i choose to get clean