Notices

Day 4 - so why don't I feel great?

Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
61'st day sober as of:12/18/07

Unhappy Day 4 - so why don't I feel great?

Hi everyone

In the past, after about the fourth or fifth day of abstinence from alcohol, I would always start to feel much better and begin experiencing the so-called "pink cloud" effect. I've been completely off alcohol for 4 days now and I don't feel so good (depression, foggy head, dazed feeling, no motivation, aches and pains, etc). Could it be side-effects from the Naltrexone I'm on (6mg per day)?. The result of numerous detoxifications?. Shouldn't I be feeling great?. I don't have a cold or anything else wrong with me that I know of and I had a HUGE number of tests a few weeks ago and everything came back normal.

Thanks for any input on this, Need4Change
Old 07-30-2007, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

don't know about naltrexone N4C, but I do know every detox I had was different. Even mood affects it for me.

Give it time.
D
Old 07-30-2007, 01:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

4 days is very early days, I felt awful at 4 days. Dee is right and also the withdrawals got worse each time for me. Just hold on, things will start improving-try to eat right and drink lots of fluids.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Gee..

I never felt great after four days...

The truth is..the disease bites much harder each time we experiment...

Andit tries harder to suck us back in when we try to stop.

Maybe this is why you feel awful.

Love,

IO
Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

at 4 days, i wanted to dig a hole, jump in it, and hope someone would fill it in...

need4, thanks for the great reminder...

glad i didn't... over 4 years later...

xxoo, rz
Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm coming up on two weeks (again <sigh>), and I still feel a little tired most of the time, some aches and pains. Everyone's a little different. If your tests all came back ok, I'd recommend just giving it some more time.

BHJ
Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're de-toxing.

It gets worse every time you quit.

4 days is pretty much smack in the middle of it. hang in there, it gets better. And, have a plan of recovery. Quitting is easy (relatively), staying stopped is the hard part.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi,

Just believe that each passing day gets better...

My first week was very difficult...I craved alcohol so bad I would cry ...I would be fighting with my feelings...They seem to hit you like a ton of bricks...

Keep posting.

Thinking of you.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gee, I didn't feel good after 4 days either.

And, emotionally I was a mess.

Hang in there, and remember that it gets worse each time.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Did any of you experience acute insomnia and nighttime panic attacks? I read that someone was tired but I feel manic without booze!
19 days sober
Sharon
Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You people are right. Day 4 is pure H-E-L-L. The cravings have been so intense today that I thought I would go stark raving mad (and still do). I never realized just how truly addicted I was to this demonic, soul shattering, possessed-by-the-Devil bottle of pure liquid evil. It is a tremendous struggle just to get through each day and I find myself looking up at the clock frequently just praying that another hour will pass (quickly) so I can eat and then sleep this hideous beast off. How much longer must I endure this torture because that's EXACTLY what it is )-:

Need4Change
Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi N4C, you will start feeling better in a few days I think, day 4 is right in the middle of the bad stuff as GP said.

Hi and welcome Sharon, I am 29 days sober and had acute insomnia too, going 36 hours and feeling manic was common for me during the first 3 weeks or so.
Then, thank god, suddenly I couldnt keep awake and I have been sleeping a lot lately.
If you are at 19 days and still having bad insomnia I would recommend trying herbal tablets (something with Varlerian in) and seeing your doctor and asking for sleping tablets if they dont help
I got to 24 days last time with almost no sleep, I was going so insane I drank.
If you are worried about the sleeping tablets just ask your doctor for enough for a few nights.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Stone for your words. I am freaking out a bit as I feel all alone in this, am so newly sober and am scared of how to handle this. Well, why I drank in the first place! ANd, yes, I am scared about my sobriety as well. While in detox, 9 days ago, I had been drugged on librium so it was easy while at detox. But once out at home, it's been horrid.

What do you do all night when awake?

thanks again
Sharon
Old 07-30-2007, 01:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Sharon, I ended up in a twighlight zone where I didnt know if it was night or day...I dont know what I did really.
Not very much basically! I just pottered around the house and went on the PC.
Lying in bed trying to sleep when I couldnt would drive me mad so I would get up and just wander around aimlessly.

It was awful really, you have my sympathies.

Seriously, try some herbal stuff! And if it carries ask for some sleeping tablets.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

need4, for me, day 5 was about the same... so hang on like you never hung before...

soon, and real soon the house COW will be over... then, its time for change, real change... the inner one...

if one pus as half as much time and energy into recovery, as their using days...

the skys the limit!

good wishes N4

xxoo, rz
Old 07-31-2007, 02:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, this is day 5 and I'm still sober. Day 4 was a HORROR!. Since in the past I have always felt really good on days 4 & 5 and since I still feel good in the mornings and evenings I am beginning to think that the depression, fatigue and severe sleepiness are being caused (at least in part) by the Naltrexone and yet if I don't continue taking it, I'm afraid that the cravings will return. It's only when I take the Naltrexone later in the mornings that I start to feel these symptoms. I feel horrible all day and then in the evenings when the Naltrexone begins to wear off I start to feel part-way normal again. Well, here's a "toast" to day 5 but it won't be with a beer!.

Thanks for all the support and encouragement people!!

Need4Change
Old 07-31-2007, 02:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

need4, perhaps talk to the doc about the naltrex?

dont give in now!, your almost over the big hurdle!

more support from the east!

xxoo, rz
Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

day4? well done, i didnt/ couldnt get out of bed till day 3 and days 4/5/6 i was violently ill, as others have stated you're very much in withdrawal and this gets harder and more painfull everytime you do it. the fear of feeling that bad kept me dry in the early days! but this is probably the worst you'll feel maybe a day or so longer, then you'll start to feel 100 times better than you have in a long time, just a little better each day, i had no medical help when i quit but found vitamin drinks and loads of water helped me and try to eat well, my body was very foregiving and you will feel great in no time.
you have done the hard bit, the first 2 days were the hardest for myself, very well done! i promise you will feel better each and every day and things get easier the further you get down the road, stick with it you're worth it
adam
Old 07-31-2007, 04:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Each time I read posts like these, it encourages me to struggle on for yet another day. I find it so comforting to know that I am not alone and that virtually every alcoholic goes through this tough withdrawal phase with all of it's ups and downs (not that I would wish it on anyone!).

I just took my temp and it was 99.3 and I don't feel so good. I used to get little temps like these frequently during hangovers. Is this "normal" for most recovering alcoholics?.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the support and encouragement!.

Need4Change
Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

im no doctor, all i can tell you is i had one visitor when i had quit my mom! and she said i was 'burning up' so i dont know if it's the norm. but i certainly had high temps, i remember i was sweating all the time, had an incredible fear i was dying, violent shakes, dry wretching and even holosinations (sorry spelling) my matress was a mass of spiders at one point (hate spiders) it was horrible, but one morning it was after about 10 days for me, while i was waiting for the kettle to boil i realised thinking "have i ever felt this well and happy?"
some call it a honeymoon period, everything was wonderfull in the world, i really felt realised from a terminal illness (which was true!)
it's very very worth the pain, i remember people telling me this (non alcholics) and i had awfull doubts with myself but please believe me in less than 2 weeks you will be in that very happy and healthy state.
as i said im no doctor the only advice i can give is dont worry about being a slob for a few days, dont leave the house if you dont want to, the safest place i found was my bed, stick with it you're doing fantastic
adam