Notices

What's your trigger??

Old 07-29-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy What's your trigger??

This is nothing new as far as threads. Just a reiteration for any newbies (and vets) to the forum.

It could be driving long (or short distances). Although you do have some degree of control over p/a during this action.

Planes, commuter trains, buses, and other forms of public transportation often trigger p/a, due to the lack of control over the situation.

For some, its emotion that triggers p/a.

Here's a biggie: Physical symptoms. For example, heart palpitations. For one, something a person ate or did that caused this will possibly bring a hurricane of p/a.

Just to name a few. Its a vicious cycle.

We are exposed to a trigger, then comes the p/a, then comes the symptoms, then increased p/a, then stronger symptoms, more intense p/a,.................on and on.

How can one cope? CBT is one way. As a last resort in my opinion, medication.

Intro
Old 07-29-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile Hot humid weather

I spent some time in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and other parts of the mideast.

Major trigger.

When I first arrived, I felt like I was breathing pea soup. This was also during the summer months. Until I became acclimated to the climate, I had a rough time with my coping skills.

Whenever I enter an air conditioned environment, the p/a disappears.

Using cbt, I would spend more and more time outside to get used to the heat and humidity.

Soon, I became acclimated, and had little trouble functioning while there.

I did it, so can you!

Intro
Old 07-29-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Physical symptoms are a biggie with me. If I have a headache for more than a day, I swear I have a brain tumor and them I work myself up into a lather, and make myself sick
Old 07-29-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

CC,

Thats another trigger right there...........the thoughts.

Negative thinking used to be a prob for me. Its hard to stop, because the mind races toward something wrong.

I would obsess about the worst, when physical symptoms hit me. I know deep down, its just the negative thoughts. I know its completely harmless, but when p/a strikes, our sense of reason becomes unreasonable.

Why do we do that.......

Intro
Old 07-29-2007, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Right now, we're having a thunderstorm. Im monitoring the weather radar online and I see a huge red patch of percipitation headed right for us.

The rain is coming down so hard and the sky is so dark (its 11:15am here) it looks like night. No kiddin.

For some, this is a possible trigger for p/a. Pretty scary thunder, lightning, heavy torrential rain.

For me. Its soothing. I said in a previous post I love rain. Particularly thunderstorms. I sleep like a baby. Go figure. I should be out of my mind with p/a, but just the opposite. During rain its like I've never had p/a.

Why?

I think its the theraputic effect of water. I can stand out in the rain, like Im going somewhere, but at the same time allow the water to calm me. No I dont carry an umbrella. I'd rather put on a poncho and walk thru it.

Crazy huh??
Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink Certain foods

Alcohol, caffeine, we know this all too well. Those two biggies contribute greatly to p/a.

Sugar, can be a major inducer, especially if you indulge.

As a suggestion, eat foods rich in B vitamins or take B vitamin supplements. Particularly B-12.

When I had major p/a years ago, I would nearly OD on vitamin supplements.

However, whether its medication, nutrition, vitamins, exercise, or abstinence from trigger causing substances, cognitive behavioral therapy (cbt) has a high rate of success for reducing (in some cases getting rid of) panic attacks and anxiety.

Intro
Old 07-29-2007, 09:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Physical symptoms are a biggie with me. If I have a headache for more than a day, I swear I have a brain tumor and them I work myself up into a lather, and make myself sick

Remember the movie with Arnold Schwartznegger? Kindergarten Cop?

When Arnold said he had a headache, one of the kids said maybe its a tumor, Arnold says, "Its not a tumah!!"

Aside from the humor, Arnold was practicing his self talk skills to reduce his stress related anxiety.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I realize somewhere in the world, ferry rides can be anywhere from two hours or more.

I once had to drive to port and take a 20 min ferry ride across the water to/from work. Back then, it was the most miserable 20 min (times two) of my day. I was full of panic before, during and after the ride. It wasnt until I was off the ferry and headed home for the day, that I would settle down.

Folks,

You may have had this similar experience or may be experiencing something like this now. Being at a place where you feel trapped and no where to run.

All this I had to deal with before I learned about cbt.

One day, after leaving the ferry to go home, I immediately checked into the ER at my local hospital. I was a total wreck. I couldnt breathe, my chest hurt, I was shaking uncontrollably, and the thought of dropping dead at any moment raced thru my mind. It was a little embarrassing and quite pitiful. It was like the elephant cowering from a little mouse.

Needless to say, I saw the psych, got medications, and a little paperback book from his office library, "The Anxiety Disease".

I popped the pills he gave me before I got to my car and spent the next hour reading the book before I even started home.

Education, understanding, and awareness about this condition helped a great deal.

I learned about cbt and it was a big help.

If you've ever felt as bad as I was, by all means get to the ER. Get help, but learn some coping strategies. In due time, the p/a will be less frequent, and less intense.

I got better. So can you.

Intro
Old 07-30-2007, 04:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did cognitive behavioral therpay for four months for the hypochondriasis and those thoughts that went along with it. It helped immensely.

One trigger for me is really hard to explain. I just feel that when things are going well, they just can't possibly continue that way, and something bad HAS to happen; so then I worry about when that something will be and it's kind of like a whirlpool; it goes round and round and pulls you under.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

CC,

I understand. Its like u feel sort of weird, feeling better or normal. I used to be guilt ridden about feeling normal once I got better.

Its almost as if I felt crappy for so long, that feeling normal was actually strange and unusual.

Believe me, its okay to feel that way. See, we've trained our minds to associate feeling crappy with feeling normal for so long, that a change to feeling better is associated to something unnatural, or wrong.

Keep focused on feeling good and associate that with feeling normal. Life is supposed to be in control of our emotions, feelings, and good health.

Ever wonder how people could be so happy, jubilant, whether they be on TV or in real life, smiling, happy, laughing people? In the midst of my p/a, depression, I thought they were pathetic fakers. I thought everyone felt some degree of anxiety, depression as normal everyday human behavior. After all, we live on a dark planet full of dispair, disease, poverty, death, hopelessness, etc. How could they be so smiling happy???

Thats wasnt a joke, thats normal real human behavior, and its associated with a healthy mind and a healthy body. I felt that way once upon a time.

Until I realized I could feel that way again. I have a right to. So I pursued it.

Keep pursuing your sanity and normality. Its there for the taking.

Intro
Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have all kinds of triggers, and sometimes, seemingly, no trigger is necessary.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mine seems to be related to things that made me feel bad before. Crowds, smells, overwelmingness
Old 07-30-2007, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barto View Post
.................sometimes, seemingly, no trigger is necessary.

I agree.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Out of nowhere

A p/a could strike. Sometimes, without any known trigger.

This is one of the worst kinds. Nothing to avoid. Its like waiting for the inevitable.

Best we can do is continue working at cbt, medication, nutrition, sobriety, etc.

Intro
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is really interesting. I haven´t thought about it for some time. Good topic.

You both mention hot, humid weather and when you get into an air-conditioned place, you feel better.

This is totally the opposite with me. I seem to thrive on humidity and hot weather. I start to feel stressed when I´m in an air-conditioned place. Last time when I was in Bangkok, there was a heatwave and I felt OK. Same in China and Turkey lately, 44 degrees celsius. I feel anxious in the cold. This is strange.

The cold is a trigger for me then. So is my mother when she´s nervous. I get all worked up. Angry voices. Demands from a child. Not demands from work...

I need to think about this some more.

Love and light,
Old 07-30-2007, 03:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Triggers may have a lot to do with a trained response to p/a symptoms.

Once recorded in our minds, we may associate that p/a with the particular trigger. Triggers may also be coincidental. What did we do, where we were, hear, see, smell, taste, touch, may have set off a p/a. So we may avoid that which caused the discomfort of p/a.

I've never had a p/a in an elevator. If I did, I might avoid them. Since I didnt, I dont have to. Learning not to avoid riding elevators would take riding in them, even with the fear of having a p/a. This cbt technique would allow me to lessen the effects of panic every time I took an elevator, until finally, it would go away for good.

Intro
Old 07-30-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by cinderellawkids View Post
Mine seems to be related to things that made me feel bad before. Crowds, smells, overwelmingness
Not the smell of cats I bet. LOL. I forget, are you taking meds? How’s it going now?