Update on going to the Doctor

Old 07-28-2007, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on going to the Doctor

Went yesterday. I have been having really bad anxiety lately. Will be getting tests to rule out anything physical. She gave me a prescription for Trazadone 50 mg to take at night. It is an anti-depressant but at low doses works on anxiety and sleep issues. Will see what happens. Have heard that they are really hard to get off from. Not supposed to be habit forming. Anyone ever heard of them. I had tried everything to reduce the anxiety naturally. Meditation, exercise, no caffeine, gardening, praying etc. and found that nothing was helping. I was starting to have the early morning wake ups and could not go back to sleep. I really was not feeling anything differently. Nothing was worrying me excessively. I just think that no matter what we do with our lives if we have an addict child, there is always going to be some anxiety about what could happen to them. Even though I was not dwelling on it, my subconcious must be working against me. Darn thing Marle
Old 07-28-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My RAD was prescribed these to help her sleep when going off drugs, since it can take a few months for her body mind to adjust. She didn't use them this time, but has 2 times in the past. By chance have you tried tylenol pm ? I used to have luck with that. also did they test your thyroid levels? Hope you get a good night sleep tonight.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
krhea75

It's funny that you should post this Marle. I haven't had trouble sleeping, but my stomach has been in a state of turmoil. I'm beginning to think I might have the start of an ulcer. I'm with you in that our subconscious can work on us, not matter how hard we try to detach.
krhea
Old 07-28-2007, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

My son was taking trazadone to help him sleep when he was getting off drugs too.
It helped. He should probably still take it, as he is always complaining that he only sleeps 3-4 hours a night and is tired all the time. Since not drinking as much and not using, I can see where he would have trouble.
I have been on an anti-depressant for a while. A long while.
I started having anxiety attacks 2 months after my mothers death. Had never experienced anything like them in my life before then.
Each time I attempt to wean off, the attacks come back. 8, sometimes 10 a day.
It's pretty bad. I hope you can get this under control soon and start feeling like your old self again.
Yeah, that ol' subconcious has it's way with us, huh?
Sending you thoughts of serenity and peace.
Love,
Linda

p.s. Don't know what this pic has to do with serenity. I just thought it was cool. lol
Serenity Now! Serenity Now!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

(((marle)))
I hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i hope you have a good nites sleep tonite.i do not know anything about the meds but u could search it online.yes, your subconscious mind can work on you.get to feeing better soon.prayers,

linda, i like the pic....wish it has sound it would be relaxing..
Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Marle
I hope you are fast asleep right now having good dreams. I hope that meds work. I take melatonin at night. It is all natural and can get it most anywhere. It does help me get to sleep.
Sweet dreams
Terri
Old 07-29-2007, 03:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Marle,

Don't know about the sleep meds, however, you can reprogram your subconcious mind by feeding it a positive thought every night right before you go to sleep. The subconcious mind will feed the though to the concious mind and after a period of time, the concious mind will believe it, and it will become a reality. Must fee it the same thought above and over again for a period of time before moving onto the next one.

I hope the meds help, take care,
Old 07-29-2007, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been prescribed trazadone for a long time started at 50mg but can also take 100mg. I have also stopped taking it when I didn't need it and experienced no withdrawals or side effects.
I remember the first days I took it, WOW, I hadn't had such a solid night's sleep in seemed like forever. It was great!
I did have some side effects when I started but they soon end as your body adjusts.
I won't tell you what they were because of the power of suggestion, but if you do think you are having side effects, you can check with me.
Do take them early before bedtime as they work to keep you asleep for a solid 8 hours and you will be way groggy in the morning if you take them late. so take them about 2 hours before you want to go to bed. In the early days it may make you fall asleep soon after taking it, but that will soon pass. Give it at least two months to get adjusted. And they do have a bit of anti-d in them. As I all ready was on anti-d, trazadone really boosted that.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Marle,
Trazadone is an old timey antidepressant, not used much anymore. However, another one of it uses is to help induce sleep and it IS NOT addicting. They used it w/ kasey at the ranch and I had the MD explain it to me.

I take depressions meds (runs in my family) and also anxiety med. Stress will kill you as quick as a heart attack!

I agree 100%, no matter how much we let go, they are still out child and it tears at our very being.

You and megan are always in my thoughts and prayers.
love,
susan
Old 07-29-2007, 06:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Staying off the caffeine really helps too!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think my anxiety has been there since I was a child. The eating disorder, the bad relationships, the smoking, caffeine, etc. were all ways that I dealt with the anxiety in the past. My daughter inherited the tendency and I remember it manifesting itself as night terrors when she was in 2nd grade. The only way she could sleep was with me. Her bulimia, bad relationships and drug addiction I think are all offshoots of her anxiety. I am having blood work done on Friday to rule out the physical causes. But I am in menopause so that may be a contributor. I have always been able to handle the anxiety in the past, but I think my body is just saying enough right now, get me some help. I really have not ignored it, just did not realize until recently that what I suffer from is anxiety. Weird that it took me so long to make the connection. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-29-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Marle,

It sounds like you are exactly right.....your body is saying enough. I think it's easy to add more and more stress on without even knowing it. All of a sudden it builds up to the point where your body just has to scream out.....HALT!

I'm like you and have the awareness that I have suffered from anxiety since I was a child. Anxiety is a way that my body tells me that what is happening isn't good no matter how much I don't want to think about it, deal with it, or even acknowledge it.

The only thing that has helped me is a multi discipline approach. I take Zoloft to quell the majority of the panic attacks but have Xanax for break through. I rarely have to take that but it helps to know that it is there. Limiting caffeine helps as does a support community. One doctor explained to me that after a certain amount of time your brain acclimates to all the adrenaline type chemicals, your neuro patterning gets changed, and anxiety/panic attacks are default mechanisms that occur. Guess that addiction can change our brains for good too - just from the stress. I know that I feel pretty hardwired in all of this. It's my reminder to work a daily program and to stay as spiritually fit as possible.

Ain't a lot of fun at times though.......thoughts and love are with you. Donna
Old 07-29-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thatswayworldgoesround

Hey, Marle:

I wouldn't worry about the Trazedone too much as far as getting off of it. I have major trouble and am med sensitive and was on Trazedone at one time. It is one of the easiest drugs I ever stopped taking If it works for you right now, good deal. BTW, I do think the menopause thing can kick in extra anxiety for a while. It did for me, but it does level off, too.

Love to you,
Bets

Disclaimer: I am not a physician and have no idea how you will respond to any given drug
Old 07-29-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I used to have bad anxiety and panic attacks. I searched and searched for a non drug solution.... The solution that finally helped me was thru nutrition....I found that trace minerals is what I needed. I found that foods that have a complete trace mineral profile helped bring my brain into balance. What might these foods be? Well fresh water and salt water vegetables such as spirilina, blue green algae are the fresh water varieties, seaweeds from the ocean all have trace minerals. Most can be obtained in capsule forms but they can also be eaten.

The thing about trace minerals is that the amounts needed are so small that often they can be over looked and unless a doctor has knowledge of them and the delicate balance of the hormonal systems need of the trace minerals they will keep using drugs and more drugs while the person keeps getting sicker....

After I stared eating these vegetables it took about 2 weeks for my panic and anxiety to end.

In my searching for a solution I read several books on trace minerals and the criminal mind that were absolutely fascinating... but very little is being done with prison populations and nutrition I guess mainly because it is a cheap solution and would probably make the prison systems take a huge nose dive and there is too much money involved for that to happen...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Marle, I don't know much about meds........I don't take anything but a knockoff of tylenpl pm. Just a store brand called Sleepytime without the tylenol. I don't think I always need the tylenol and I know it is not good to take too much of that either.
I know with all of the stress I've been under lately I am experiencing lightheadedness. I start feeling hot then the lightheadedness appears. It really stinks that my insurance will not cover any mental health drugs or I would probably be taking an antidrepressant. They are so expensive if your insurance doesn't cover them.
I hope this works for you and gets you some much needed rest.
Hugs...........Lo
Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by splendra View Post
I used to have bad anxiety and panic attacks. I searched and searched for a non drug solution.... The solution that finally helped me was thru nutrition....I found that trace minerals is what I needed. I found that foods that have a complete trace mineral profile helped bring my brain into balance. What might these foods be? Well fresh water and salt water vegetables such as spirilina, blue green algae are the fresh water varieties, seaweeds from the ocean all have trace minerals. Most can be obtained in capsule forms but they can also be eaten.

The thing about trace minerals is that the amounts needed are so small that often they can be over looked and unless a doctor has knowledge of them and the delicate balance of the hormonal systems need of the trace minerals they will keep using drugs and more drugs while the person keeps getting sicker....

After I stared eating these vegetables it took about 2 weeks for my panic and anxiety to end.

In my searching for a solution I read several books on trace minerals and the criminal mind that were absolutely fascinating... but very little is being done with prison populations and nutrition I guess mainly because it is a cheap solution and would probably make the prison systems take a huge nose dive and there is too much money involved for that to happen...
Slendra, that is very interesting, can you tell me the names of those books?

Marle, I have a friend who takes terazadone sometimes and also anti-d's. He has never had a problem stopping the Terazadone.. FWIW....
Old 07-29-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

((((((Marle))))